Gransnet forums

Relationships

Friends that depress you!

(231 Posts)
Greatnan Thu 04-Oct-12 11:16:25

I have a friend whom I like very much - she has no gc and is not a member of Gransnet, so I can safely tell you about her. She is very pessimistic and her messages are always full of the awful things that are happening in her life. Every time I suggest something she could do to improve matters, she tells me some reason why it won't work.
I told her my good news about my grandson getting into the Royal Navy yesterday, and her only comment was 'You must be worried, it sounds a very dangerous job'. Actually, I am not worried because I know the RN will train him very well, and he will be doing something he loves and making lots of friends.
I manage to keep very cheerful most days, in spite of my own family problems, and I could do without her continually telling me how rotten life is!
I think some of you might have partners like this - Eeyores - so have you any advice as to the best way to deal with her? She wants to come on a short holiday with me but I am afraid it would not be joyous, like my jaunts with Juragran!

joyfuljenn Wed 10-Oct-12 23:20:55

Reading the opinion you have of yourself, greatnan, as a Pollyanna, I realised I'm exactly the same! And, ?sadly, I've never read/seen Pollyanna, so unsure whether or not this is a good thing!

angiebaby Wed 10-Oct-12 21:16:31

graces mum thought the grandparents nswering machine was great im sending that to my kids lol,,,,brilliant

Greatnan Wed 10-Oct-12 16:48:42

Daman, you don't have a clue about my daughter's circumstances and I don't wish to discuss her any further. Thank you.

Daman Wed 10-Oct-12 16:41:45

Greatnan I can feel goodwill to your daughter because she is alive and kicking. The main positive thing as I see it is that she is not dead.

Those who love her and care for her can, with the authorities, be positive, and work with friendliness, to bring her to recovery and happiness.

All you friends will bring love to you both as you progress.

Ceesnan Tue 09-Oct-12 19:05:48

Apologies to Daman, iPad playing up again.

crimson Tue 09-Oct-12 14:44:35

I loved the start of Pollyana with the chandelier and the rainbows; my son gave me a little solar powered 'rainbow maker' for Christmas the other year and it makes me so happy smile. I think we should all have one on the NHS [along with a two week holiday in the sun wink].

Greatnan Tue 09-Oct-12 11:04:07

Daman knows all about my daughter's problems.

absentgrana Tue 09-Oct-12 10:48:42

Oh, Polyanna – I want to slap her. smile

Ceesnan Just for the record, Daman is a he.

Ceesnan Tue 09-Oct-12 10:46:09

Greatnan I can't help thinking that was a rather harsh comment to Daman. Possibly she was unaware of your daughter's addiction? Only my opinion of course......

petallus Tue 09-Oct-12 07:39:48

Daman You feeling goodwill to everyone might not last long on Gransnet grin

Grannyeggs Tue 09-Oct-12 07:24:57

joyfuljenn Great news, flowers

Greatnan Tue 09-Oct-12 06:50:58

The glad game comes from the film Pollyanna - you have to find something positive in anything that happens. Well, if Daman can tell me what is positive about my daughter having paranoid delusions and probably slowly killing herself, I would be very glad to hear it. I don't need patronising platitudes.

joyfuljenn Tue 09-Oct-12 03:13:09

My DD was my carer, she resigned last week. My sister is taking her place. But a silver-lining, gracesmum; a good firend of mine, male, same age as DS-41- is in urgent need of temporary lodgings, today, & sister can now clear the spare room I have for him. Things are looking up, & I'm 'joyful' once more!

absentgrana Mon 08-Oct-12 21:07:49

What?

Daman Mon 08-Oct-12 19:57:39

"The Glad Game", flowers to everyone, because at this moment I feel goodwill to everyone

gracesmum Mon 08-Oct-12 19:48:14

joyful does that mean your sister is not going to be your "carer" any more? I am sorry you feel so let down flowers

Stansgran Mon 08-Oct-12 19:03:57

I think i've muddled the thread??? It was to Greatnan and about Barcelona. OH dear

Stansgran Mon 08-Oct-12 19:01:28

They were mini flats and i'm sure the bathrooms were very good-we had a massive balcony-and very spacious room on the top floor. I haven't shared a bathroom with anyone except my husband since 1969!

joyfuljenn Mon 08-Oct-12 18:58:32

This it then; after a long-lost brother's 'help' today, I just found my house key & Blue Badge on the mat. Not feeling too joyful now! I am feeling empty, instead.

Greatnan Mon 08-Oct-12 14:40:43

I planned my two pregnancies and the babies arrived almost to the weekend. My sister called me 'Mrs. Efficiency'. Of course my ex husband wanted to wait until we got a better car, a boat, a caravan.....but I was broody after four years of marriage, at the age of 22, and there was no denying me! I think some of my grandchildren were accidental, but none the less welcome for that!

gillybob Mon 08-Oct-12 14:19:44

Not sure there ever is a convenient time to have children greatnan . My son was definitely an inconvenience shock.

I can only imagine your sadness thinking about your daughter and any call would be a good call as at least it was communication. I do hope that some day you can be reconciled. sad

My first grandchild was announced to me as though it were the worst news ever as son and partner hadn't been together very long. No money and living in a tiny one bedroom flat.

One of my grannies said when I had my son that babies bring so much love with them and I tend to agree. My three grandchildren are the little "angels" that keep my mum alive and looking forward. smile

Greatnan Mon 08-Oct-12 13:29:45

I would settle for any kind of call from one daughter. The other always rings just for a chat and cheers me up with her happy news. Mind you, when she was younger I could always tell from her opening greeting what the call was about -'MOTHER' meant I had done something to annoy her. 'Mu..uuum' meant 'Send money'. The worst greeting was ' Mum, I have got something to tell you.....' Yes, she was pregant, again! Now, I adore all six of her children but they were not all born at convenient times.

gillybob Mon 08-Oct-12 13:20:52

Oh gracesmum if only there was such a system available I would definitely subscribe. smile

With my son (the one with the children) its always bad news. I know that sounds horrible but its true.

If you could personalise the system I would add:-

press 1 if you have had an argument with partner.
press 2 if you have no money
press 3 if you need me to have the children for 3 nights instead of 2
press 4 if you have run out of electricity or gas (they have an awful prepayment meter)

I could go on and on but would hate to bore everyone to death...

With my daughter its usually because she is lonely and needs a chat . sad

joyfuljenn Mon 08-Oct-12 13:08:39

Great news - my sister just BEGGED me for the caring job! Jumped at the chance, obviously. This situation is actually having a very good side to it; sister & me had not seen each other since Dad's funeral a year ago, even though we live only 7 miles apart. But 2 weeks ago, out of the blue, she invited me to tea, & now this! Wow. An answer to prayer, I assure you! We will, I hope, now become closer; my sibs are half-sibs, I'm between 6-19 years the other 5s elder, & funnily, the sister I'm closest too, is the youngest, 19 years my junior. But she lives in Spain...
Thanks for the bouquet, gillybob! gracesmum, I lol +++, I remember it well! Mind, my happiest times were when my boy was a teen, he & his geeky friends would be crammed into his box-bedroom, 14 of them once - glued to their laptops. I always knew where he was, at home! No worries there. The boys would stroll in, murmer 'Hi', walk straight to the fridge, gaze at the contents; a glance in my direction, a raised eyebrow, a nod from me. Out would come a revolting frozen chinese bag of muck, into the microwave, ping! Not seen again 'til sent home. I loved it!

gracesmum Mon 08-Oct-12 12:22:27

I know we have had this before but it is so true
Parents' answering machine

Good morning ....
At present we are not at home, but please leave your message after you hear the beep.
Beeeeeppp ...

If you are one of our children, press 1

and then select the option from 1 to 5 in order of "arrival" so we know who it is.

If you need us to stay with the children, press 2

If you want to borrow the car, press 3

If you want us to wash your clothes and ironing, press 4

If you want the grandchildren to sleep here tonight, press 5

If you want us to pick up the kids at school, press 6

If you want us to prepare a meal for Sunday or to have it delivered to your home, press 7

If you want to come to eat here, press 8

If you need money, press 9

If you are going to invite us to dinner, or are taking us to the theatre,

start talking ... We are listening !!!!!!!!!!!"gringrin