Gransnet forums

Relationships

Friends that depress you!

(231 Posts)
Greatnan Thu 04-Oct-12 11:16:25

I have a friend whom I like very much - she has no gc and is not a member of Gransnet, so I can safely tell you about her. She is very pessimistic and her messages are always full of the awful things that are happening in her life. Every time I suggest something she could do to improve matters, she tells me some reason why it won't work.
I told her my good news about my grandson getting into the Royal Navy yesterday, and her only comment was 'You must be worried, it sounds a very dangerous job'. Actually, I am not worried because I know the RN will train him very well, and he will be doing something he loves and making lots of friends.
I manage to keep very cheerful most days, in spite of my own family problems, and I could do without her continually telling me how rotten life is!
I think some of you might have partners like this - Eeyores - so have you any advice as to the best way to deal with her? She wants to come on a short holiday with me but I am afraid it would not be joyous, like my jaunts with Juragran!

gillybob Mon 08-Oct-12 11:44:29

nfk dumpling, Ariadne, joyfuljenn thank you all for your kind words. It still amazes me how caring people can be even when they too are not in the best of places . flowers to all you lovely people.

Bags I do hope my children don't think I depress them on the phone. I think perhaps its the other way around. My heart sinks sometimes when they ring at "that time of night* when you just know it's not going to be anything to smile about.

Greatnan Mon 08-Oct-12 07:46:32

Joyful - yes, it is quite likely that your daughter's though processes and personality have been skewed by drugs. Of course, she would never admit that and if you ever challenged her you would be met by anger, resentment and denial. There is a 'hidden' plague of drug abuse - many people never consider the dangers of drugs they are prescribed. Most GPs are now much more aware of the addictive properties of things like Valium, which were prescribed so readily for depression (or boredom?) and packets of Nytol can be bought over the counter, as well as all the painkillers which contain codeine.
Having seen the gradual destruction of my daughter's personality, I am now reluctant to take even one paracetamol for the occasional headache although I have never been addicted to anything, as far as I know.
My sister reminded me that our mother used to take what she called her 'happy pills' but we cannot remember what they were.

I hope you manage to put some useful arrangements in place for your care, and that you and your daughter get back on good terms.

joyfuljenn Sun 07-Oct-12 23:24:49

Couldn't possibly read the long, long page of comments & digressions, but thankyou for the welcome you've given me, they quite warmed the cockles of my heart! Greatnan, you've given me food for thought, re prescription drugs. I can barely believe it hadn't crossed my mind, as I know my daughter has been on amytriptylline for years, given to her by her Gp for depression. Ten years ago after breaking my spine, in Addenbrookes', I was given them, with frightening, dreadful effects; nobody realised they were causing me to experience continual hallucinations, I had no idea where I was, where I was even; I was convinced a giraffe stood next to my bed, which sounds funny, but was a deeply weird thing to have alongside you. Even after discharge the hallucinations carried on, but I was at least aware by then, that the visions I saw were not real. After a year I stopped taking them abruptly, & within days the visions disappeared, never to return.
Well, having said all that, is D being mentally twisted too? It never struck me, what an idiot I am! I know her though, she would not give them up, she depends on them psychologically. I had to send her the info today, that as from the 12th. I shall be officially terminating her employment; I have to have a Carer, I'm unable to physically do things like vaccuuming or changing the bed-linen. I'm stopping the childminder fees too; no reply of course, haven't told her that I've asked our best friend to come back & work for me, she's been like a daughter to me for 39 years, & we get on well, she's perfect at the job. It's only 2 hours a week, so easy to fit into a busy life, & the pays not bad at all, £11 per hour. Hohum, good job I've now got a computer - only got it in Feb this year, clever son customised it for me in particular, taking into account my particular foibles of course! He visits for an hour once a fortnight [lives a mile away! sad & adds something new every time, causing me an acute pain between the eyes, trying to remember it all.

Greatnan Sun 07-Oct-12 22:29:52

I still haven't found an hotel for the dates we want at a price we want and where we want (in the Gothic Quarter). Back to the drawing board.

gracesmum Sun 07-Oct-12 21:53:34

Gosh - a stiff drink! I'd never have thought of that myself - good idea, jeni!!
(I meant to say obtuse but came up with a hybrid of obtuse and obscure)

jeni Sun 07-Oct-12 21:24:47

gracesmdont worry your pretty little head dear!
Just go and lie down with an ice pack and a stiff drink!grin

Actually, it GN wondering what to do with her depressing friend!

gracesmum Sun 07-Oct-12 21:15:43

stansgran could you or somebody please tell me the relevance of the Apartments Gutenbergreference? I am feeling I have totally lost the plot or something and it bothers me! If I am merely being obcuse, well, no surprise there sad

Greatnan Sun 07-Oct-12 21:02:04

Yes, thank you , Ariadne. I have been looking for hotels on line and my friend is also doing some research.

Ariadne Sun 07-Oct-12 20:55:34

Well! I usually love our digressions, but have read through some of the pages on this thread, and became very confused at one point! I am glad that the original poster is getting the supportive and helpful response she deserves.
I hope it has helped.

jeni Sun 07-Oct-12 20:27:33

angie I think there are a few of you in MK

Daman Sun 07-Oct-12 20:07:01

smile

crimson Sun 07-Oct-12 20:02:45

Oh jeeeeeez; my spelling blush....

angiebaby Sun 07-Oct-12 19:09:25

gillybob........you are not alone,,,,,try to go out and do something for you,,,i have had severe depression for a long time,,,i think i am getting better thank heavens, go swimming if you can do your hair...paint your nails, put some make up on,,,,start crafting,,,,,,,im in milton keynes,,,,im sure a lot of us here will meet you for a coffee ....its awfull i know to have a black cloud over your head,,,but there is a light ahead,,,,so be blessed.

Greatnan Sun 07-Oct-12 18:36:47

Me too - thanks, Crimson!

Grannylin Sun 07-Oct-12 18:34:21

Thanks crimson- you've really made me laugh todaygrin

absentgrana Sun 07-Oct-12 18:16:58

crimson I think that they are just called companions.

Greatnan Sun 07-Oct-12 15:26:14

Thanks for the suggestion, Stansgran, but a private bathroom is a sine qua non!

Stansgran Sun 07-Oct-12 15:09:20

I stayed in Apartments Gutenberg some years back-a bit studenty but cheap and clean and well sited off the Ramblas near the port and a stop for the tourist bus .Wouldn't go down the back alley way tho' on my own at night-

whenim64 Sun 07-Oct-12 14:35:15

grin

Ella46 Sun 07-Oct-12 14:15:32

I would never take advice from someone like me! grin

Ana Sun 07-Oct-12 14:12:02

The hard part is actually taking it! grin

whenim64 Sun 07-Oct-12 14:10:58

Ella sometimes the best advice comes from talking to yourself! grin

celebgran Sun 07-Oct-12 14:04:59

sorry if forgot anyone else who kindly supported me!!

celebgran Sun 07-Oct-12 14:04:12

I too hope it has gone away but it was unpleasant and I am very thankful for the support shown to me by Ana, Greatnan and Whenim 64

smile

crimson Sun 07-Oct-12 13:58:02

jeni; I've often thought about having one of those wooden figures that you see in Stately Homes [can't rememeber what they called them; probably 'wooden figures that you see in Statley Homes']. Could have a jolly good converstaion with them I think. Could have a word bubble coming out of it's mouth, the words of which could be changed according to the mood of the day. 'There, there, never mind' or 'ho ho, good joke that'.