Gransnet forums

Relationships

I'm about to become a mother again....

(63 Posts)
grannyactivist Sat 19-Jan-13 19:01:04

yes, it's true! In two weeks I shall become 'mum' to two teenage boys from Afghanistan. Just when I'd got my house under control after my own boys have grown up I'm about to enter the turbulent teen years with a 16 and a 17 year old who move in on the 3rd February. hmm
Actually they're lovely young boys with a difficult past and there is an amazing 'back-story', which I would love to share, but my paranoia regarding the press won't allow me too. I can just see the headlines now!! grin
Anyone jealous or are you heaving a sigh of relief that those days are over?

merlotgran Sat 19-Jan-13 19:04:16

I take my hat off to you, ga. Well done and good luck. Lucky boys!

cheelu Sat 19-Jan-13 19:07:42

That is such a kind thing to do, there are not enough words in the dictionary to say how much a kind thing it is x x

Ana Sat 19-Jan-13 19:08:50

Not at all jealous, ga - I don't think I'd have the energy, physical or emotional! Hats off to you, I can tell you're thrilled and they are indeed lucky boys.

Smoluski Sat 19-Jan-13 19:12:46

ga respect as I know how exhausting one teenager with problems can be,that is on the downside,on the upside you see the world through different eyes,have more wisdom,and probably more patience and tolerance.
You will be learning of their culture,and rejoicing in each of their achievments and goals,I say teeny bit jealous,it probably won't be a bed of roses on the way,but the sense of satisfaction for each hurdle crossed is beyond words..
good luck to you and your boys am looking forward to hearing about them,am hoping they find peace in our country and I am sure they will flourish under your carexxxxxxlove nellie

gracesmum Sat 19-Jan-13 19:13:30

If I'm being honest ga the latter, but what you are offering is priceless and will bring its own reward. I totally take your point re the press, perhaps one day when the difficult times are behind them you can tell more, but at the moment what matters will be the normality, security and love you will bring them. Big flowers

grannyactivist Sat 19-Jan-13 19:16:16

Actually Ana I'm not sure I've got the energy either; so I'm glad The Wonderful Man is ten years younger than me and is supremely fit - he can do all the energetic stuff and I shall deal with all the touchy feely emotional stuff. Sorted. (Teenage boys.....from Afghanistan.....that's not going to happen is it? Hmm hmm )

nanaej Sat 19-Jan-13 19:23:06

Good on you grannya and yes I am jealous envy! I hope it all goes very well and they are quickly feeling part of your lovely family.

I wanted to become a foster parent when my children were in their late teens but DH was not really keen and I knew it would not be right (for potential foster children) to try and persuade him. Instead I worked in FSU youth clubs.

johanna Sat 19-Jan-13 19:25:48

You will love it ga.
How long are they staying?

grannyactivist Sat 19-Jan-13 19:33:58

As it's a Private Fostering arrangement, and due to the ages of the boys, I don't come under the auspices of the Social Services. So, when I'm tearing my hair out and needing support I shall come on here seeking the 'Wisdom of the Crones'. grin
(As a courtesy - and because I think they should know, I have informed SS that the boys are coming to live with me.)

grannyactivist Sat 19-Jan-13 19:42:35

Johanna, the boys came here on a two year visa (expires in November 2013) which I expect will become an 'indefinite leave to remain' when the next application is made. Their dad (a refugee) has lived in the UK for many years and now has British citizenship; their mum died in Afghanistan in 2011. I have agreed that the boys can live here until they have finished their secondary school education in July 2014 and we will then review the situation.

annodomini Sat 19-Jan-13 20:20:20

Are you working on their English with them, ga as well as giving them the security of a family home? I was very fond of my Afghani students who were more respectful of older persons than their English equivalents. Looking forward to hearing all (well, almost all) about them.

glassortwo Sat 19-Jan-13 20:27:41

Respect grannya sunshine

Anne58 Sat 19-Jan-13 20:31:18

ga, much love, luck (if there is such a thing) and respect to you.

Those boys are fortunate to have you.

grannyactivist Sat 19-Jan-13 20:33:32

Yes, anno - they already attend my free language classes. They're very bright, but, as I'm sure you can imagine, have seen and experienced a lot of awful things. sad

Butty Sat 19-Jan-13 20:35:35

That's wonderful news ga. The young men are indeed fortunate to have you and WM at their side. sunshine

Mishap Sat 19-Jan-13 20:37:31

Hats off indeed and lots of good luck for the future with your newly extended family.

Tegan Sat 19-Jan-13 20:39:59

I'd love to have young people around the house again, although not sure I'd have the energy for the late night taxi'ing I used to do. And boys of that age need so much feeding smile. I bet they'll be great friends for your little grandson as well. I can understand how you feel about the press but might be an idea to keep a journal of some kind both for them and for you. And it'll be lovely to hear of how they're getting on.

Marelli Sat 19-Jan-13 20:45:10

ga, I think these young lads will be falling on their feet, having a home with you. The best of wishes to you all. xx

Grannyknot Sun 20-Jan-13 11:44:05

Wonderful GA, I salute you.

glammanana Sun 20-Jan-13 16:44:04

Such good news GA and well done you two

Fondasharing Sun 20-Jan-13 19:23:37

GA How wonderful....you are indeed a special person.

Your news reminded me of the following and all your good deeds with people who stay with you:

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
Maya Angelou

Deedaa Sun 20-Jan-13 23:48:13

I'm full of admiration! It sounds exciting and scary at the same time. I do hope it all goes well and is a wonderful experience on both sides.

grannyactivist Mon 21-Jan-13 00:22:36

Send me to the naughty chair pedants. I've just re-read my OP and I actually put too instead of to! Oh the shame....the ignominy......blush

Thanks all for lovely positive responses; I am looking forward to the adventure, but it's a little bit daunting. smile

kittylester Mon 21-Jan-13 07:07:30

What brilliant thing to do ga. Take good care of yourself too. brew