Gransnet forums

Relationships

Son in trouble

(58 Posts)
Pollaidh Tue 28-May-13 13:58:33

Always a difficult person to talk to (hot tempered) my mid thirties son has just told me his business is failing and it is affecting his relationship. I love my DiL. They have no children (it is my daughter has made me a proud gran :-))
I find I am not sleeping - I have this deep anxiety that all will come undone and he will be left with no livelihood, debts and no relationship. Any advice on how to cope with this anxiety would be so welcome. I have no-one I can talk to.

Nelliemoser Tue 11-Jun-13 16:45:49

polliadh I am with you fully on the beneficial effects of sunshine on mood. Our very dull grey days really affect my energy levels. sunshine needed.

flowerfriend Tue 11-Jun-13 19:51:26

I would be fascinated to know the percentage of us that have suffered our children's problems. I mean ADULT CHILDREN.

There are those that advocate that we should 'divorce' ourselves from these problems. We can't!

From time to time I do the EUROMILLIONS lottery and mainly because I would like to throw money at my children's problems.

Galen Tue 11-Jun-13 20:30:11

I certainly have. DS describes himself as :- alcoholic, bipolar, bisexual, poly amorous and pagan. He also thinks he is on the autistic spectrum.
DD suffered from anorexia nervosa. Married a "bit of rough" in the Channel Islands. Now divorced and has a a lovely SO, by whom she has my DGD and another on the way.
She is also a qualified science teacher.
He works on computing.
Both are highly intelligent.

dustyangel Tue 11-Jun-13 20:53:16

Galen I think we have the same son grin I don't think he is bi sexual though.

Mishap Tue 11-Jun-13 20:57:49

Galen - your son sounds a colourful character. So glad that things are settling down for your DD.

I have had times when the adult children have given me worries, mainly emotional crises when they were a bit younger; and more recently a severe ante-natal depression when we truly feared for her life at times - it was very frightening.

They all seem to be on an even keel at the moment (fingers crossed) although one is on anti-depressants (with wonderful results) and another is suffering from sleep deprivation due to insomniac child.

There always will be the odd up and down, but we are very lucky when I hear the problems that some other gransnetters have to endure.

Galen Tue 11-Jun-13 21:05:59

DD has an insomniac child as well. Her brother was and is an insomniac and so am I.

Pollaidh Tue 18-Jun-13 10:44:32

Flowerfriend that's weird - I too have been longing for a big Premium Bond win (don't own that many!) or Lottery win (never played!) as money would at least take the heat out of the situation. But it would have to be big money, I'm afraid.
And yes, folks, it does seem my dire predictions are coming true. What makes it so hard is that it is my own son who is the cause of this impending disaster and I know he is making DDiL desperately unhappy.