Gransnet forums

Relationships

Not sure why, but crying.

(73 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 15-Jan-14 19:54:50

So sorry, but have a sudden need to do a metaphorical howl.

Heaven knows what brought it on this time, FFS it's just over 5 years since Jack died. yes, I know that you never get over losing a child, even though my GP banged the desk (about 4 years ago) and said "You will get over it!" but I still don't know why I'm all of a doo dah tonight.

I recently moved a Pembroke table from the hall to the sitting room, decided to put lots of family photos on it, in silver frames (not necessarily real silver, just silver coloured) Started with the ones that DS1 and his partner had given me of the grandchildren.

Mr P and I had picked up a couple of silver coloured frames at a car boot sale, yonks ago. Yesterday I had a bit of a look through some photos, found one of Jack aged about 12, 13, cuddled up with a very small, young Maurice, put in in one of the frames. Trying to find another one for the other new frame, which will only take a picture around 3" by 3", am about to measure a lovely photo of me and Jack on the day that I got married to Mr P.

I do really wish I could remember what Jack said when he came to collect me for the wedding, it was either "you look beautiful Mum" or you look gorgeous Mum"

I miss him so much, sometimes it is hard to do the equation that is often applied to loss, i.e the joy that you have while they are with you, even though you have pain when they are gone, should be better than not having them at all.

annodomini Wed 15-Jan-14 22:42:41

Don't hold back, phoenix. This is a safe place to let it all out. Even if we have no experience of what you have gone through and are still living with we can pass the tissues and lend you a metaphorical shoulder. flowers

Maniac Wed 15-Jan-14 22:50:38

Phoenix you are an inspiration to me. I think of you and your Jack sometimes when I'm missing my GS and give thanks that at least he is alive and well.
My DD1's first boyfriend was killed in climbing accident at age 18.Still think of him.
Take care of yourself
Love and hugs
flowers

Mishap Wed 15-Jan-14 22:54:05

Be kind to yourself - you have so much to deal with.

Hope that you will feel better for the tears and able to enjoy the good memories tomorrow.

grannyactivist Wed 15-Jan-14 23:08:49

Dear phoenix, it's hard when grief strikes. sad (((hugs)))

penguinpaperback Wed 15-Jan-14 23:13:54

Dear Phoenix and dear Dragonfly my deepest sympathies to you both. flowers XX

LizG Wed 15-Jan-14 23:40:11

Everything has been said phoenix and Dragonfly but wanted to add (((hugs))) and flowers for you both.

Flowerofthewest Thu 16-Jan-14 00:01:59

I really feel for you phoenix lots of cuddles and hugs coming your way <3

Sook Thu 16-Jan-14 00:17:00

phoenix and Dragonfly1 Hugs to both of you and to other gransnetters who have known the pain of losing their child. xxx

Anne58 Thu 16-Jan-14 00:39:27

Thank you all so very much, good thing this is written and not spoken I would be making all sorts of noises and even more thankful that there is no ability to see, a red-eyed gulping, snot sniffing Phoenix is not something I would wish upon you!

I think it was going through the photos that brought it on, in fact I'm sure of it.

Dragonfly my very best to you, I think I can say that I must come close to understanding, although everyone's circumstances and reactions are different, please feel free to send a PM if you would like to "talk" , I promise that sometimes I can talk reasonably sensibly.

Thanks and love to all.

janeainsworth Thu 16-Jan-14 01:10:47

Dear phoenix and dragonfly, I've only just seen this thread - I just want to say that although time heals, the grief never really goes away and when it reappears like this, it is as raw as ever.
Thinking of you both xx

Anne58 Thu 16-Jan-14 01:37:02

Thanks again to all, and every good wish to those who are feeling less than good tonight.

Probably sounds silly, but I'm sort of cried out, and now feeling a bit drained, but in a positive way. like I say, may well sound totally daft, but I can't quite describe it at the moment other than to say that for now everything seems "centred" and calm, so I will try to take that feeling to bed with me.

As I used to say to Jack, "good night, god bless, sweet dreams" x.

kittylester Thu 16-Jan-14 05:30:17

A good howl can be very healing phoenix. Everyone else has said what I would say so I hope you feel a litt;e better today and that you get good news. (((hugs)))

Dragonfly1 Thu 16-Jan-14 07:55:35

Thank you all. flowers

Gally Thu 16-Jan-14 08:31:01

Phoenix and Dragonfly flowers

mollie Thu 16-Jan-14 08:39:25

I disagree with that doctor. You never get over losing a child but you do learn to live with it. I lost a son, aged 24, nine years ago and I still howl with grief at the unexpected things and on anniversaries, birthdays and such events. It is natural so don't feel bad about it. There are plenty here who understand and will send their support...

moomin Thu 16-Jan-14 08:39:25

Just read this thread, Phoenix and Dragonfly, I just can't imagine going through the loss of a child, devastating. flowers and (((hugs))) to you both

Iam64 Thu 16-Jan-14 08:40:25

Oh Phoenix, photographs are so powerful in getting through to our deepest feelings flowers
Dragonfly flowers
be tender with yourselves

Riverwalk Thu 16-Jan-14 08:51:50

So many mums here who've lost their children sad flowers

A reminder that we're not just a bunch of old grans but first and foremost we are mothers smile

Marelli Thu 16-Jan-14 09:16:56

Dragonfly, I'm so sorry. flowers xx
Time doesn't heal. All we can perhaps do is tell ourselves that when that overwhelming grief hits us out of the blue, that we know it'll soften again and we can move on until we come across a photo (I have none) or an anniversary/birthday looms again.
As Riverwalk said, "First and foremost, we are mothers."

ginny Thu 16-Jan-14 09:34:12

flowers

kittylester Thu 16-Jan-14 09:41:31

Dragonfly flowers too, I'm sorry I missed your post.

glammanana Thu 16-Jan-14 09:55:47

Phoenix,Dragonfly,Mollie ((hugs)) and heartfelt thoughts being sent your way from me,you are very brave ladies.flowers

gillybob Thu 16-Jan-14 10:14:12

Just caught up with this thread. I can't even begin to imagine the pain of losing a child. I know they say time is a great healer and maybe the pain lessens but it would never leave you. My grandma still has a cry for the baby she lost nearly 60 years ago and for her two sons who both died when they were in their early 50's . sad

kittylester Thu 16-Jan-14 10:47:48

Mollie, I missed your post tooflowers

I don't know how any of you cope. I struggle to cope with DS1's stroke and we still have him! In my case, the worst thing is the loss of a lovely future for him - I imagine you all feel something of that amongst all the other pain. ((((hugs))))

nannyfran Thu 16-Jan-14 11:13:54

Just read this thread and my heart goes out to the three of you. I almost lost my daughter to cancer 3 years ago and the pain was the worse thing I have ever experienced.All we can do is send our love and hope that life will bring you all some comfort and happiness in the future. God Bless.