Gransnet forums

Relationships

Help needed (fairly quickly!) to compose a Thank You letter.

(42 Posts)
janerowena Wed 08-Oct-14 10:59:52

One of my sisters has decided that she is artistic.

She isn't.

She has started up a website, with three varieties of painting and photos for sale.

The first line is too-colourful too-busy abstracts in the style of Jackson Pollock.

The second line is something she calls 'Nova', which is basicall swirls of clashing colours.

The third is photos of nature that I would hesitate to post on here, let alone sell.

In short, her ability is very much 'poor GCSE' level, and I really struggled when I opened my Christmas card of 'virulent orange and green swirls Nova' last year in front of her.

This year, she announced that she had got me something very special for my birthday. It arrived (5 days late) this morning, and as soon as the extremely large, flat parcel walked up the path my heart sank. And kept on sinking.

Yes, I am the petrified proud owner of a Supernova. In shades of orange, turquoise, murky brown, yellow, olive green, fuchsia and dusty pink.

What do I say that won't encourage her to send me another? But will still be polite? HELP!

Brummiegran Wed 08-Oct-14 11:25:02

If she is on this site she already knows what you think of it! Seriously though I think a phone call would be better. Either way, thank her for the thought but explain that you are not into abstract art/ it doesn't really match your decor. If you feel you have to put it up then a dark corner of the hall or landing would be best.

janerowena Wed 08-Oct-14 11:35:47

No, she isn't on this site. I hope!

No corner is dark enough. And I am too afraid of what I might say if I phone, as I spend a fortune on her presents. I need a carefully crafted letter. I'm just not sure that all the time in the world will give me a something that won't cause offence - and then she will be on the phone to my other two sisters, who are being very encouraging to her face whilst looking horrified behind her back. Maybe I should just give in and say, how lovely!

janerowena Wed 08-Oct-14 11:36:36

I do like abstract art actually. But not like this.

Ana Wed 08-Oct-14 11:41:34

I think you're probably right, janerowena - it's going to be virtually impossible to put her off without offending. Perhaps you could just say 'Thank you so much for the present' and carry on with other news etc.

janerowena Wed 08-Oct-14 11:45:18

I think I went into panic mode. I'm thinking I may write something like

'What an interesting use of colour, what technique did you use? Although sadly it doesn't go with my current décor I am pleased to have something of yours .'

What do you think?

kittylester Wed 08-Oct-14 11:45:44

You need Phoenix grin

janerowena Wed 08-Oct-14 11:46:20

grin

As a safety valve, if nothing else!

Ana Wed 08-Oct-14 12:01:38

If you say that about the painting not going with your décor, you know what you're going to get for Christmas! grin

janerowena Wed 08-Oct-14 12:04:57

Oh Lord - the same thing in different colours? You are right.

How about 'It's not really my thing, although I appreciate the work and effort that have gone into it. I know, I'm a Philistine'.?

ninathenana Wed 08-Oct-14 12:12:28

kitty my thought's exactly!

Gertrude, how kind and thoughtful of you to create something so personal for my birthday. Whilst I am delighted to receive your present, I do feel that your works of art require a level of appreciation that I am obviously not clever enough to have. Perhaps Fred would be happy to receive your next painting.
grin grin

Grannyknot Wed 08-Oct-14 12:14:33

jane but that's not a thank you letter (your 12:04 post) that's the equivalent of a "Dear John" or "It's not you, it's me..."

You're going to have to say thank you, put it on display for a couple of months and then move it to the bedroom that never gets used!

ninathenana Wed 08-Oct-14 12:14:36

janer more or less what you just said smile

Mishap Wed 08-Oct-14 12:25:03

Or perhaps this "lovely painting - for which many thanks - will just fit the last bit of wall space that we have left."

whenim64 Wed 08-Oct-14 12:27:31

Just thank her kindly and when she visits, shift something off the wall and put hers up, then when she's gone home, put it back in the spare room.

By the way, if you Google those painting styles you mention, your post on Gransnet comes up on the first page! A bit too prominent for comfort? hmm

Faye Wed 08-Oct-14 12:54:37

I was at my sister's house and one of our older sisters arrived. Before my sister opened the door she said to me "she doesn't know I have this" and quickly put a wooden stand in her cupboard.

Maybe you could do the opposite jane. When your sister is about to visit whip out the painting and hang it on the wall.

janerowena Wed 08-Oct-14 13:15:14

Oh dear... I forgot about being google-able, although hopefully she won't think of her own paintings in entirely the same light that I see them in.

I suppose the reason I am torn is that I don't like to lie and although I know I have to on occasion, to save people's feelings, it still goes against my instincts. Wouldn't life be simpler if we could all just be honest. I really do wish her well and hope that someone out there likes her stuff, it just isn't me.

(No, not a goody two-shoes, just too great a fear of being caught out! grin

FlicketyB Wed 08-Oct-14 14:13:00

When my mother was alive I always knew when she didn't like my new clothes/curtains/décor because she would just act as if nothing had changed and not even seem to notice that I had a new dress/curtains etc., still less say anything.

I think discretion is the better part of valour here as well. Just say something simple like 'your painting arrived safely, thank you' and leave it at that.

Anya Wed 08-Oct-14 14:25:22

My dearest sister,

I must thank you for your delightful painting. It has stirred deep within me a longing to own a little holiday cottage by the sea. The juxtaposition of sea and sky, of land and nature expressed in your work deserve a view to match.

While I am searching for the perfect little bijoux (which I will name Nova in your honour) in which to place your maserpiece I will keep this treasure safely boxed away from harm until it can be placed in the perfect setting.

Your admiring sister

Jane.

janerowena Wed 08-Oct-14 14:29:52

Anya - that is a far better masterpiece than my sister is capable of creating. grin

I shall use you as my role model.

As your prize - I shall send you - A Painting!!! grin

Mishap Wed 08-Oct-14 15:06:10

I really think that we should be treated to a photo of this oeuvre on your profile!

janerowena Wed 08-Oct-14 15:34:48

I have put on a very similar one from her website that is less swirly.

I asked how she made mine - she placed a board on a record turntable!

I just wrote to her, I thought I was being complimentary, but she saw through me and thanked me for my honesty. blush

janerowena Wed 08-Oct-14 15:37:43

If you look at the one I have posted, doesn't it remind you of when we were told to 'express ourselves' at school? The one she sent me is murkier and I did wonder what she was thinking of when she did it!

She has just sent me another email telling me to try a different picture frame to suit my décor, so Anya wasn't far off!

Jane10 Wed 08-Oct-14 15:50:20

Why don't you sent a card with a thank you message in it. The card could one of those beautiful "art" ones available at galleries (among other places) and you could choose a picture that you really like on the front. That way she might get the message that that's your taste rather than what she is producing. Or is that too subtle?
Alternatively give her a painting by numbers set for her next birthday!! That might do the trick wink

janerowena Wed 08-Oct-14 16:22:52

So very, very tempting, but no I mustn't... grin What a fabulous idea though. I feel better for just imagining it.

My mother-in-law is an artist and a good one, but most of her work isn't to my taste. She fully understands that art is very personal and not everyone has the same tastes. Would all would-be artists felt the same way. I did try to keep some of MiL's work, but she sold them, sadly. I have two potter friends and I'm pretty sure they give me their rejects. hmm However, as my sister assures me that my picture was personally designed and I hate it, I think there is always going to be a bit of a problem!

I have told her that it is going to sit propped on the back of a dresser with other ornaments and gifts given by friends and family. I haven't lied and said I like those gifts. I also haven't said how long it will stay there. I have said that I have very little wall space - which is true, in the hope that anything she sends in the future will be small.