Gransnet forums

Relationships

Only Child.

(31 Posts)
Falconbird Fri 19-Dec-14 08:39:02

I have no brothers or sisters and neither did my DH(now passed away.) I find being older difficult without close kin to turn to for help and advice. (Gransnet really helps.) Friends say that their brothers and sisters are "useless" etc., but at least it's someone to vent on when things get tough.

Friends are great, but for some reason I long for a sister, brother, in-law, anyone related to me and the same age etc., I am also a lone grandparent now and that is hard going at times.

(sad)

sunseeker Fri 19-Dec-14 09:09:15

I am also alone. I was widowed 3 years ago and we had no children. My immediate family (mother, brother and his family) all live in Australia. My DH's family are very supportive but I don't feel able to tell them if I am feeling down. It is difficult and I do get times when I get depressed, I was unwell a few weeks ago and stayed in bed for a couple of days and felt that no-one would notice if I had died!!!

I too always wanted a sister, as you say friends are great but its not the same.

I know its hard but try to remain positive and enjoy Christmas with your GC.

ninathenana Fri 19-Dec-14 09:14:40

I do have a brother but although we live in the same town we only see each other once maybe twice a year. We have never been close and I would not look to him for help or support.

I would have loved to have a sister and envy my friends relationships with their sisters.

I empathise flowers

Falconbird Fri 19-Dec-14 09:19:07

I agree about envying friends who have sisters. It would have been great too during times of stress to have a sister to talk to.

When my mum was in hospital (years ago now) the nursing staff kept asking me if I had a sister or brother to help out.

I know that sisters and brothers do fall out and friends tell me I have an unrealistic view of sisters but then they say "they are meeting their sister for coffee etc., or visiting them over Christmas.

Ariadne Fri 19-Dec-14 09:26:31

I am an only child, as was my mother. I have watched my three children growing up and forming the very strong relationships that they have, and have sometimes envied them, though it is lovely to see and hear the chat and the banter when they are all together. (All in mid to late 40s)

Now that they are grown up, married and with children, I'm not bothered about my onliness, because I have them. And, since we moved, I can go shopping, out for a drink with DD. I am very lucky, I know.

Charleygirl Fri 19-Dec-14 09:33:15

I loved being an only child when I was young but now I would love to have brothers and/or sisters.

I now enjoy living on my own but it would be lovely to have contact with a sister or brother. I have no living relatives in this country- my cousins are in Ireland (my mother was Irish).

annsixty Fri 19-Dec-14 09:49:59

Another only child here. I like others envy those with sisters, I was not close to my mother although we were not estranged and I supported her until she died ,very,very old. I would have liked someone to share that with me. I am not geographically close to DD although we are in contact most days, but most of all I would like someone to share my DH's memory problems when I want to offload.

TerriBull Fri 19-Dec-14 09:57:51

Falconbird, could I suggest that sometimes "only" children have an idealised view of sibling relationships. My only brother passed away a few years ago and whilst we didn't get on particularly well, and he was certainly very little help with our parents when they became ill, I was full of regret and experienced the feeling "I'm the only one of my original immediate family left now" when he died.

Having said all that, I know a few people who are having a hellish time with their siblings, a close friend of mine has a brother and sister who I thought were close but their relationship broke down when their family home was sold to pay for their mother's care home fees when her dementia became too advanced for her to live independently. My friend has Power of Attorney and she is not worried about her dwindling inheritance and wants the best for their mother and is aware that the money being spent at this stage is not theirs anyway. She also visits her mother all the time to make sure she is being cared for properly. The other two don't and would like to see far less of the family money spent on her care. Another problem I see from those who still have elderly parents is resentment about time spent caring/helping with those parents, particularly if they feel they are doing more than their fair share.

Whilst I wouldn't want to speak for you being an only grandparent, I think there might be a few on GN who would give their right arm for that experience. Again there's a lot of discord with some about the hierarchy among grandparents, as a paternal grandparents I can say that we are down the pecking order somewhat, although I do get to see my grandchildren frequently and my heart goes out to those who have been cut out.

Gagagran Fri 19-Dec-14 10:01:03

It's not all fun being in a big family you know! I used to wish that I was an only one instead of being the fourth of five. Adult siblings are not always supportive and helpful and I would choose my friends over my sisters any day! The grass is always greener I suppose!

Falconbird Fri 19-Dec-14 10:16:31

I do agree in some ways about the grass being greener.

When my dear mother had to go into a home I was in some ways glad to be an only child. I used to see families having big fall outs about this difficult decision.

I talked to my husband and my sons but they all agreed that it was my decision in the end.

Also because I had no brothers or sisters to consult with the decision was made quite quickly.

Mum settled into the Home quite happily and was well looked after for five years.

My own sons have fallen out now and I find it upsetting - but I guess familes do that from time to time.

Maybe I do live in a bit of a cloud cuckoo land - comes from reading too many stories about big happy familes when I was a kid.

Eloethan Fri 19-Dec-14 10:28:38

I'm an only child too. There is only my mum (94), her brother (96) (who has shown no interest in, or even liking for, me whatsoever) and three cousins left - only one of whom I have any sort of relationship with.

I didn't particularly mind being an only child when I was young but as I've got older I've felt it would be lovely to have a brother or sister. We could offer each other support at difficult times, and share childhood memories.

I realise that's not necessarily what happens - I'm sad to see that my own children (7 years difference in ages) have very little in common with each other and are not at all close. But I do know people who have a very special relationship with their siblings and it gives them great comfort.

Jane10 Fri 19-Dec-14 10:51:06

I find it hard to imagine being close to a sibling. My brother died a sad death some years ago. My sister and I worked together to look after our elderly mother but after she died I found that we had nothing in common. I found her to be so bossy and overbearing that I preferred not to be in her company. Since then she`s made, what I see as, some very odd life decisions which makes me even gladder that I don't have to see her any more. I do make an effort to keep in touch with her children who I feel sorry for. My own DD is as near a best friend as anyone could wish for but I hesitate to take up too much of her time and appear too needy. Families eh? You can choose your friends but not your family!

Ariadne Fri 19-Dec-14 11:17:18

I agree that siblings can have problems, and I have listened to friends (and read on GN) talking about horrific break ups and squabbles, and been grateful not to have to be part of all that. My own children too realise that they are lucky that they and their partners get on so well - perhaps they live far enough apart to make it work.

And while I do love DD, and we are fully appreciating each other's company, I have my circle of friends here, as does she; sometimes they overlap - I am only 18 years older than her, which all of a sudden isn't a big gap.

Charleygirl Fri 19-Dec-14 11:19:52

Families- who would want them? In 1979 my parents were in hospital in Scotland, both dying of lung cancer. I was married, working full time and living in london. My mother came from a large family, 5 still alive including herself. Her sisters descended on the house, wanting to say their last goodbyes. They each wanted a momento and this they did also, filling every usuable bag for the purpose. They stripped the house so I was not best pleased. Luckily they were travelling by plane or the furniture may well have gone with them!

Jane10 Fri 19-Dec-14 14:34:23

Charleygirl that's awful!! Yes. Families!!

loopylou Fri 19-Dec-14 14:42:44

Charleygirl that reminds me of when my grandmother was dying and her SIL and daughters descended from afar, never visited in 10 years, and did the same thing. It was only my turning up, I didn't know they were there, for my every evening visit and seeing the bags of stuff they'd packed that stopped them from pretty well emptying the house. They'd even hired a huge people carrier. Makes me feel sick recalling that....
Must say my friends far more supportive than family!

trendygran Fri 19-Dec-14 15:37:01

How I sympathise with you Falconbird. I have no siblings and always longed for them, but it really hit me when I lost my DH very suddenly in 2008 and then lost my younger daughter 16 months later .
I soon found out who my true frends were (quite surprising which ones weren't!), but it was then I really did long for more close family.
My DH had two half sisters ,old enough to be his mother, and their offspring do still keep in touch with me. Apart from them I just have my elder daughter and family and my late daughter's two girls, who live 300. miles away.
I know family members aren't always supportive , but it would be good to have some.

KatyK Fri 19-Dec-14 15:39:01

I have three sisters. Two of them are my best friends and we are always there for each other. I have never really felt the need for friends. My daughter is an only child and I have felt rather guilty about it. However she only had one child herself so she must have been ok. She is very close to her friends so its swings and roundabouts I feel.

NotTooOld Fri 19-Dec-14 16:42:02

I know what you mean, KatyK. My sister is my best woman friend, too. I have one daughter and a son who is 9 years older, so I always encouraged my daughter to be friendly with her girl cousin of the same age. This worked up to a point but they are only occasionally in touch now they both have families. However, my daughter has many friends which she is very good at keeping in touch with. I think Facebook has a lot to do with it!

etheltbags1 Fri 19-Dec-14 21:32:57

I am an only child and normally enjoy living alone and doing just what I want, however being diagnosed with cancer and awaiting an op, I now wish I had a sibling that I could rely on for a bit of help. My DD is super but she works and has her toddler my DGD to look after as well as the grown up toddler, her partner. My mother is in eighties and we do not see eye to eye, she still thinks I am 6 years old (not senile just her attitude), If I don't agree with her, I am stupid and useless etc. I dread her taking over my house after my op, which I know she will as she is so controlling.
However I have a half sister, my dad remarried and had a new family and years ago I found my half sister, I imagined a sort of copy of myself, a hard worker who likes books, theatre etc, maybe a librarian or teacher. I was so disappointed, we met only once and now just send Christmas cards. She, at 52, was dressed in a cropped top, showing lots of flab, mini, high heels, blonde long hair and her manner was so common. 'she has drifted from man to man, loves partying and flits from job to job, moving from abroad back to uk, she is a wanderer.
Please don't think me horrible by criticising her like this but she will never see this comment and I know that despite her strange ways she is kind hearted but I just cant feel at ease when I know that she has a new man almost every year, she hates reading, loves alcohol and wears cheap dresses with lots of sparkle. I am just so opposite so I could never confide in her. I am so sad about this.

Tegan Fri 19-Dec-14 22:11:21

The older I get the more isolated I feel being an only child, especially as my mum was the youngest of a large family and had me when she was in her late thirties and my dad was 50. So I don't really have any other family members of my own age. The people I regarded as my family were my ex husbands and when he left I lost the family too. I'm finding it particularly hard this year, made worse by the fact that a cousin who is a lot older than me and is my only remaining family member isn't in the best of health. I feel that if I had brothers or sisters, even if I didn't get on with them I would belong in some way and at least have shared memories. I'd just like someone out there that is mine in some way sad.

rubylady Fri 19-Dec-14 22:49:08

Surely we are all sisters to each other, are we not? tchsmile

rubylady Fri 19-Dec-14 22:49:38

Sorry, and along with our brothers out there too. tchsmile

Tegan Fri 19-Dec-14 23:24:41

No;family is family..there will always be a difference sad.

Humbertbear Sat 20-Dec-14 04:56:24

Sisters are way over rated. Best I can say, is when mine are in trouble they know who their first call is. Mine is to my daughter or my best friend.