Gransnet forums

Relationships

Dating sites recommendation?

(33 Posts)
dotty342kids Mon 02-Feb-15 12:58:56

Hi,

Posting on behalf of my mum smile who's been widowed three years and is quite keen on meeting someone new. She's 65, very fit, healthy and young at heart.
I wonder if any of you have used any sites that you'd recommend? She lives in a rural part of the country, not the south east so we don't want anything too London-centric!
Would love to hear your recommendations and any top tips that any of you, who have done this yourselves, would like to share.
Thank you flowers

Seasidenana Sat 12-Sep-15 09:32:46

In the past I have used a few dating sites, and I would NOT recommend Plenty of Fish, it is free, but it attracts a lot of strange people ! It is far better to pay for membership, then you find more serious members. Some of the better quality sites (Guardian Soul Mates) seem to have very few members in my area, maybe they are more South East ? So it's probably best to go
for a big site like Match. I met and dated some nice men from there, although I didn't meet "the one" ! As an alternative, I have found it better to go to outings and events and meet people more naturally. Meet up is a good one, look at their site online. There are local groups and activities in most areas and you meet people with similar interests that way.

Magisterial Thu 31-Aug-17 03:54:40

There are numerous online dating sites right here, just search them on google or bing.

Luckylegs9 Thu 31-Aug-17 06:22:37

I would be wary of using dating sites, you can say or be anything. I would be so nervous I couldn't do it. It's a sad fact that more women than men end up on their own after 60 and men my age seem to want a younger model. I had a good marriage, so was lucky then. I think to join things you enjoy doing and getting out and about might be a way of meeting someone, good luck to those that have the courage to give dating sites a go..

Imperfect27 Thu 31-Aug-17 06:46:39

I met my DH through Match.affinity.com l would avoid plenty of fish. I was very forthright in my profile, saying what l did NOT want as well as what l was looking for. I didn't post a photo, nor did my DH, but we started gently with emails and phone calls and sent a photo before our first meet up. Well ...it worked! Good luck to your mum xx

Nannymarg53 Sat 25-Nov-17 10:24:23

Faye - love it! That made me laugh ? out loud x

Libralady Sun 26-Nov-17 11:33:23

I've not been so lucky. I was totally honest in my profile as a cancer survivor who had a mastectomy. Not an easy subject to open up to but it had to be done at the start. I count myself lucky to have survived with no treatment since 2001. The lack of response on the dating website says it all - can't men see beyond that? Very disappointing - I am certainly no freak and am more than capable of loving and being loved.

Luckylegs9 Sat 02-Dec-17 17:58:58

Of course you are no freak, you are a survivor. To anyone that like you for what you are, the mastectomy wouldn't matter one iota. I am not surprised at the lack of response on the dating site you used, that says such a lot about those that use it, not men in general. It is harder the older you get, I just knew after my husband died that it as unlikely I would ever have another relationship, but it doesn't bother me. I make the most every day and frequently treat myself, especially do on birthdays and at Christmas. It is lovely sharing special occasions and having the person you love by your side, but think of all the people in bad relationships or who have never known love, so I try to make to best of it.