Gransnet forums

Relationships

What does your DH or partner do that irritates the hell out of you?

(138 Posts)
gillybob Thu 25-Feb-16 12:49:10

I just read an article about men who chew their food loudly and how it drives their wives mad. Well it would me too.

This made me think that perhaps it wasn't just me who had a DH that has a VERY irritation habit.

I mean it's not disgusting or anything, just damned irritating. So much so that I have been known to swear when he does it or even put a pillow over my head...

The crime..

To wash his face in the en-suite.

He makes so much noise and splashes water everywhere he sounds like a baby elephant having a bath! I can just about take it at 7.00 am but he often has to leave very early and at 4-5 am I feel like murdering him! angry

Pittcity Sat 05-Mar-16 08:40:43

Would be true Jalima except DH has never drunk tea!

thatbags Fri 04-Mar-16 20:55:18

Oh yes, phoenix, MrBags too re envelopes. So messy, apart from anything else!

Jalima Fri 04-Mar-16 19:39:18

Ah yes, the doors left open
The drawers left open
[sigh]

I think leaving a drop in the bottom of the cup could stem from the days when there used to be tea leaves in the bottom if their mum didn't use a sieve grin

phoenix Fri 04-Mar-16 18:24:08

Completely ridiculous I know, but I have never known anyone who opens envelopes the way he does! Totally unimportant, but irks me!

thatbags Fri 04-Mar-16 18:18:50

"The hell" is a bit strong but it does irritate me that he doesn't screw lids on things properly. Mild grrr.

Tizliz Fri 04-Mar-16 18:09:50

mrsmop yes I wonder why I have it switched on at the moment. But it would freeze outside up here in the Highlands. Tell your OH to get a man-shed, every man should have one!

mrsmopp Fri 04-Mar-16 17:23:16

Good idea Tizliz, but we have no garage. To be honest, it's so cold at the moment, he could keep it all outside the back door. Hidden in a recycling bin or the compost bin for example.

hildajenniJ Fri 04-Mar-16 16:27:30

He leaves the door open. Every one he passes through, and then complains that he's cold!

Tizliz Fri 04-Mar-16 16:25:07

mrsmopp mine did that so I bought him a fridge for himself - it is in the garage. Find it useful when we have lots of visitors.

Willow500 Fri 04-Mar-16 11:58:28

Pittcity that's hilarious - more so because i never finish a cup of coffee and always leave some in the bottom - must remember to tell my other half that excuse the next time he mentions it!

mrsmopp Fri 04-Mar-16 11:30:41

Fills the fridge with cans of beer and various bottles of things so there is no room for actual food.

middleagedmenopausalmum Mon 29-Feb-16 23:18:30

thanks for your welcome gillybob smile

yes, I should have chosen a shorter name, I may have to rethink that LOL

Pittcity Mon 29-Feb-16 17:54:17

Mine never drinks the bit at the bottom of the cup. When asked why, he says he doesn't like that bit and could I not put it in in future.

Jalima Mon 29-Feb-16 14:36:05

Wendysue DH does that too, and with people's names.
His dear mum gave us much hilarity as she came out with many unintentional spoonerisms (we never let on wink).

gillybob Mon 29-Feb-16 14:18:38

A warm welcome to GN middleagedmenopausalmum blimey that took some typing !

I told my DH off yesterday morning after a particularly noisy wash. He just doesn't get it and like your DH he just laughs it off.

He tells me that I have got annoying habits too but he chooses to keep them to himself. I asked him to point any one of them out and he said he would prefer not to ! Yeah likely.

in other words I am like Mary Poppins. Practically perfect in every way

wink

middleagedmenopausalmum Mon 29-Feb-16 14:08:39

Hi everyone,
I'm new here but I just had to jump into this one, hop you don't mind without a formal introduction.

My hubby has the most annoying habit of picking his fingernails, anywhere and everywhere.
He will then leave the pickings wherever he happened to be at the time the picking occurred.

I have told him about it over and over again but he just laughs, he thinks its funny.

Grrrrrrrrrr

Wendysue Sun 28-Feb-16 13:37:45

If DH mispronounces a word, he'll keep mispronouncing it, even if someone tells him what the correct pronunciation is. Not a terrible fault, really, but oh!

LullyDully Sun 28-Feb-16 12:29:12

He sings familiar songs and gets the words.wrong. He sings the same wrong words every time. Annoying in a very small way.

rascal Sat 27-Feb-16 23:34:20

What a good laugh I've had reading all this! Don't know what my dear late husband would have been doing to irritate me. He certainly didn't do anything that I can think of. I just miss him so so much. So be grateful you still have yours. You never know! ... flowers

Tizliz Sat 27-Feb-16 22:06:34

Granarchist are we married to brothers?

absent Sat 27-Feb-16 07:04:40

Pretty much everything!

Willow500 Sat 27-Feb-16 06:01:59

This is such a funny thread grin I too have slept in a separate room for years but it was discovered he had sleep apnoea some years ago so now has a Cpap machine which has stopped his snoring during the night (not on the sofa though) so I no longer hear him through the floorboards! Another thing he does is sit staring into space if he's bored - no tv on, no iPad, phone or anything else - says he's 'thinking' but makes me feel guilty if I'm not sitting with him. He also starts to clear away the table when he's finished - even if I haven't! On the plus side though he drives us everywhere, insists on paying for everything when we're out, would sell his soul to help our family, and has (and still does) worked incredibly long hours all his life so no - I wouldn't swap mine either smile

Indinana Sat 27-Feb-16 00:13:38

Oh, well it'll have to be earplugs then.... [sympathy emoticon]

gillybob Sat 27-Feb-16 00:01:00

Slight problemo Indiana I don't have a "spare" room. I only have 2 bedrooms and the second room is bunk beds and a little pull out (for the 3 DGC) . I don't think I could sleep in any of those with my back .

He is NOW driving me bonkers !

Indinana Fri 26-Feb-16 23:47:09

gillybob grin. There is a third option, of course - move into the spare room. That's what I did when I couldn't take the sleepless nights any more. Ah the bliss! A snore-free room with a double bed all to myself smile