Gransnet forums

Relationships

What does your DH or partner do that irritates the hell out of you?

(137 Posts)
gillybob Thu 25-Feb-16 12:49:10

I just read an article about men who chew their food loudly and how it drives their wives mad. Well it would me too.

This made me think that perhaps it wasn't just me who had a DH that has a VERY irritation habit.

I mean it's not disgusting or anything, just damned irritating. So much so that I have been known to swear when he does it or even put a pillow over my head...

The crime..

To wash his face in the en-suite.

He makes so much noise and splashes water everywhere he sounds like a baby elephant having a bath! I can just about take it at 7.00 am but he often has to leave very early and at 4-5 am I feel like murdering him! angry

gillybob Thu 25-Feb-16 12:50:14

Excuse the cr*p grammar. Should have read it back. hmm

tanith Thu 25-Feb-16 12:55:36

oh dear there is one thing that irritates the hell out of me, he uses and keeps his electric razor in the living room. Only a little thing but oh I wish he'd do it in the bathroom but after 20+yrs I don't think he's going to change now smile

NanaandGrampy Thu 25-Feb-16 12:56:38

gillybob I feel your pain on your husbands early starts!

We resolved that by my husband putting his clothes in the spare room the night before and using the main bathroom .

After nearly 40 years together we're pretty mellow now although sometimes now we're both retired he annoys me by just being there ALL the time lol I'm used to a bit more space but we're adjusting smile

Willow500 Thu 25-Feb-16 12:59:08

gillybob the baby elephant comment made me laugh! The one thing my other half does which infuriates me is fall asleep on the sofa on his day off while I'm working at the other end of the room. I've been known to put the headphones on to block out the loud breathing or snoring noise or type VERY LOUDLY angry Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if he went and sat in the conservatory and went to sleep! Have I told him? Of course not!!

annsixty Thu 25-Feb-16 13:03:51

Mine actually is not very nice and irritating beyond words.
He has started to sniff and constantly blow his nose throughout meals, he doesn't do it at any other time. I have mentioned it and he says he will stop it but of course like everything else he forgets in 2 minutes. Dementia is a b****r.

Synonymous Thu 25-Feb-16 13:15:17

DH snores!

For Britain! hmm

I moved into the spare room when he was post surgery as he had to lie on his back which amplified it magnificently! shock
When we moved home he insisted that I come back to him as he missed me. smile
He still snores! He can't help it so I just thank God he is still breathing and is such a blessing and that helps me to live with it.smile

felice Thu 25-Feb-16 13:19:52

Starts doing something I asked him to do hours earlier as soon as I put food on the table, makes me want to scream, oh and cleaning mucky tools in the kitchen sink, when I am cooking right next to it.

ninathenana Thu 25-Feb-16 13:29:49

He twiddles his thumbs angry
I only have to look at him and he knows grin

Imperfect27 Thu 25-Feb-16 13:30:27

Leaving his razor on the side of the bath and not rinsing round after use ...

But to be fair, I think I probably have far more irritating grin

gillybob Thu 25-Feb-16 13:32:13

Yes me too Imperfect27

Although try as I might I simply can't think of anything. wink

gillybob Thu 25-Feb-16 13:38:27

A little old man from the church used to visit my little old grandma. He used to sit opposite her turning his tweed cap around in his hands then throw it up in the air every 10 turns or so. All the time doing that not quite whistle thing through his teeth.

It drove my grandma batty and she used to say to me "if he comes here this afternoon and twiddles that bloomin' cap of his I am going to scream" It really irritated her. At my grandma's funeral he was sitting doing exactly the same thing and we heard his wife saying "now cut that out Bob". grin so it must've drove her mad too.

Synonymous Thu 25-Feb-16 13:39:45

Told DH about this thread and Imperfect that is exactly what DH said about me, that I have irritating little habits! Fortunately he couldn't name anything - guess I am going to have to be careful. grin

gillybob Thu 25-Feb-16 13:43:00

Sounds just like me Synonymous try as I might I can't think of a single irritating thing I do. [saintly emoticon]

Imperfect27 Thu 25-Feb-16 13:46:54

Ha ha ha!

Well, I know my DH is irritated by me frequently putting the lid of the coffee jar on crookedly ...

leaving the butter out ...

putting my cold feet on his lovely hot bod in bed - I think of it as caring and sharing the warmth ...

...Oh I could so easily go on ...

What with all that AND him supporting Arsenal, I am surprised our marriage works at all really! grin

Synonymous Thu 25-Feb-16 13:50:21

grin

Synonymous Thu 25-Feb-16 13:52:58

I am not saying that I can't think of anything - but I am not going to remind him! It was a precious moment! grin

mollie Thu 25-Feb-16 14:08:58

Nothing really, neither of us are perfect. I'd like it more if he didn't worry verbally about every ache and pain but if it helps him cope then why not?

merlotgran Thu 25-Feb-16 14:11:35

Sucking his teeth when concentrating or reading. It sounds like a demented mouse and drives me nuts.

TriciaF Thu 25-Feb-16 14:13:51

Tanith - think yourself lucky he shaves! My complaint about husband is that he doesn't believe in cutting hair - he has a beard and long hair. Usually in a pony tail, but sometimes loose. A real old hippy.
He knows it irritates me but he won't change, says it's a fear of losing his virility.

kittylester Thu 25-Feb-16 14:18:12

DH started saying 'aaahhh' after a drink of tea for a joke but now can't stop!angry

jusnoneed Thu 25-Feb-16 14:46:57

My OH has got worse since he retired.
Snores for England!
Drinking his many cups of tea (how can anyone drink so many in a day?) he has started slurping it arrgggh. And he will scrape the pattern off a plate or dish to make sure every bit of food is eaten.
Then when he sits watching telly in the evening he has developed the habit of banging one foot (always his right foot) on the floor, only one tap but every minute or so. Why? The times I have ended up telling him to quit it!
Drives me round the bend sometimes and I just have to get up and go do something. Even my son comments so it's not just me lol.

With you on the non shaving thing Tricia, I hate to see older chaps with stubble - it ages them and just looks scruffy. Another habit mine has gotten into since he stopped work.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 25-Feb-16 14:58:11

My DH has started actually twiddling his thumbs.hmm He does it in the car whilst waiting at lights, and any time when he has to just sit and do nothing. I see it out of the corner of my eye and it drives me mad.

But then I have some odd habits too. I think it's a getting older hing.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 25-Feb-16 15:01:00

kitty My grandsons used to wait expectantly for me to say "ahh" after my first swallow of my morning tea. It's very satisfying. grin

kittylester Thu 25-Feb-16 15:26:59

jings grin. dh started doing it as a silly old man thing to do to entertain the dgc but...........