Gransnet forums

Relationships

Keeping love alive

(38 Posts)
grannyactivist Sun 24-Jul-16 01:12:26

Every now and then a poster comes on and talks about ending a marriage (or long relationship) and it always saddens me. When a couple first get together it's almost always with the expectation that the relationship will last; there are dreams and hopes invested in the marriage and it's full of promise. It got me wondering what people who have been happily married (or cohabiting) for a long time would say has been a key component in maintaining such a good relationship?

I read this article today:
www.careforthefamily.org.uk/family-life/marriage-support/building-up-shared-experiences and recognised that all of their recommendations for ways of building up shared experiences in a marriage are central to my own relationship with my husband. I would also add that for us mutual respect and our shared faith have been hugely important in our relationship, and after almost thirty years since we wed we still often say the magic words, 'I love you' to each other. smile

David1968 Sun 24-Jul-16 15:37:22

Communication, kindness, caring, cuddles, and courtsey are the lynch pins for us. (33 years married, so far). Oh, plus laughter and still fancying each other! Perhaps the earth doesn't move as often as it used to but we have lots of physical contact. And we like each other. .....

PRINTMISS Sun 24-Jul-16 16:41:34

Privileged to have had a long and happy marriage, and truly sad when I see people saying how sad they have been in their married lives and they are ending that marriage, I always hope they do find happiness in their futures. Loving someone is hard work, and it hurts it is give and take, and we all change as the years go by. Like Ann60 my husband is not the man I married, but in a different way to Ann's I am no longer the glowing bride, but we have had A LIFE together of love and kindness, and we have both had to work hard at it, like many other happy people. Finding someone to love and be loved by is a wonderful gift which needs to he cherished.

winifred01 Sun 24-Jul-16 17:05:40

Nobody has mentioned having a sense of humour. Married 57 years would say laughing together and at each other,essential.

NanaandGrampy Sun 24-Jul-16 17:56:55

I totally agree Winifred !!

I always said I'd take a man who made me laugh over good looking. Grampy says I got lucky and got both ! smile

TriciaF Sun 24-Jul-16 18:01:30

I agree, winifred. His sense of humour was one of the first things that attracted me to my husband, and we get over many quarrels by using it.
Second marriage, been married nearly 30 years.
This kind of discussion reminds me of the song from Fiddler on the Roof - Do You Love Me?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_y9F5St4j0

Grannyknot Sun 24-Jul-16 18:04:58

david1968 mentioned laughter smile. I like all those alliterative words in his first sentence, I agree with them all.

35 years not out grin

TriciaF Sun 24-Jul-16 18:05:53

I mean nearly 40 years blush

Bez1989 Sun 24-Jul-16 19:14:05

My hubby & I are both "second time rounders".
We met in our late 40s both having been married before. Because of that we had "life experience" and truly value that we found each other when we had mutual needs.
It hasnt always been easy but as he often says "we are rock solid" We are each others best friend and can tell each other everything. He has taught me that feelings are very important....both good ones and sad ones. He allows me to cry when I need to and accepts then that having feelings and expressing them are what makes us human. Because of him I have the family I never had myself and love all of the members of my "step famliy" as if they were my own flesh and blood. Im so grateful that we found each other....
and so is he. sunshinesmilesunshine
Life can begin at 50 !!

ffinnochio Sun 24-Jul-16 19:33:36

My life started when I met my husband. That says it all, and it's an absolute pleasure to say it.

baubles Sun 24-Jul-16 20:09:11

ffinn your post had me welling up. How lovely. smile

Cherrytree59 Sun 24-Jul-16 20:56:30

Married 35 yrs
Love at first sight (for me)
Told it wouldn't last (as DH divorced and older)
Happiest day of my life walking down the aisle.

I thank the Lord for the day I set eyes on my Rock and Soul mate.
He gave me two lovely children who in turn gave us 3 beautiful grandsons

We have had a Roller coaster of a ride.
I count my blessings

Yes, I feel sad for those who have not had what I have had.

I have been very lucky,
I had Wonderful grandparents as my role model for a very happy marriage

Phoebe221 Sat 11-Jul-20 13:11:30

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.