Gransnet forums

Relationships

Suicide and the aftermath.....please be kind, we are all suffering

(34 Posts)
bytheway Thu 24-Nov-16 10:38:06

3 weeks ago my step-daughter's partner committed suicide, leaving her with 2 small children (aged 4 and 1) My stepdaughter - lets call her K - and i have had run-ins in the past. They lived 150 miles away from any of us and as she could not cope with being in the same house as her partner died she has now moved in with my husband and I, as she does not speak to her mother, we are pretty much the first and last port of call though she does have a few good friends not far from where we live. We had no idea of what was going on in their relationship that led to his suicide, although, of course, a lot has come out in the aftermath.

My problem is that i am having trouble coping with the 3 of them in my home. Bearing in mind, they are not my grand children and my husband is not that close to his daughter (we would see them 2 or 3 times a year) The 4 year old has autism and has very very challenging behaviour. Mealtimes are a nightmare and although she is a very good carer for her children she is under tremendous strain. Hubby and I are doing our best to help with her and the children but we are both 60 and getting increasingly exhausted. I have taken 6 weeks leave of absence from work but am now itching to get back to 'get away' from this situation.

I have problems with depression myself and can see myself slowly sinking further down. However, the funeral is next week and i am hoping that after that things will improve.

I am wholely aware throughout this posting that K is the one suffering the most but I just needed to write this down and maybe get a hug or 2.

Lisalou Thu 24-Nov-16 22:26:15

What a sad situation, having lived the aftermath of suicide very close to home (my ex husband committed suicide, both my children by that marriage were older (17 and 11) I know how devastating it is. Obviously, having been divorced for some time, it was less traumatic in some ways for me, but it was still terrible. We divorced because he was an alcoholic and I could no longer deal with the abuse, but I could still remember the young man whom I had loved, my best friend for a good many years. On the other hand, my poor children were devastated, and it took a very long time for my family to find a way back to "normal" life. My heart goes out to your step daughter, and all of you. None of this is going to be easy, but I can see that K is already looking for a way forward, and I am sure you will all manage. Hugs and courage to all of you

Lovey Sun 08-Jan-17 15:27:31

So sad.

Starlady Mon 09-Jan-17 05:03:04

Such a tragic situation, bytheway! My sympathies to all! And yes, lots of (((hugs))).

Idk if the day after the funeral will be the magic moment when sd begins to move forward with her life. She still may have some financial issues to sort out, etc. After a while, however, I think you'll be able to talk to her about a move out date. Eventually, she'll want her own place again as much as you want yours back.

Also, she'll probably need a financial advisor and perhaps a solicitor. Does she have them? You guys can help her find good ones if she doesn't, but please resist the temptation to weigh in. She needs to sort it all out for herself.

I think you guys could cut back on helping her with the kids though. She has been doing it all this time and probably knows how to handle the 4 yr old's "challenging behavior" better than you. Pitch in if really needed but otherwise, please let her take the lead.

Counseling sounds like a great idea! If no one else will go, I hope you go anyway, to learn how to cope.

Penstemmon Mon 09-Jan-17 07:59:32

I hope that things are more settled for all the family now though I expect the funeral and Christmas will have been tough. This is the time when the hard reality will be kicking in after the initial shock and raw grief. Hope you are all hanging in there and getting support . flowers

Starlady Mon 09-Jan-17 11:02:44

Oh, that's right, the funeral is past already. I hope you've all begun to move on a little. I know it can take some people longer than others. Hope things are going ok overall.

Luckygirl Mon 09-Jan-17 12:23:20

supportaftersuicide.org.uk/

Try this link - for K and for you.

I am so sorry that this dreadful tragedy has befallen your family. My grandfather committed suicide when I was a little girl and I remember it most vividly - it is so difficult to come to terms with. flowers

Debbi Mon 09-Jan-17 22:02:18

Suicide is the worst sort of death, slowly the heart mends after the trauma. Hugs for you and the children.

BlueBelle Tue 10-Jan-17 18:46:20

I have no experience with suicide but two of my grandkids were 4 and 6 when they Daddy died I don't think any of us can realise how terribly difficult it is at that sort of age to understand what is happening don't forget as well as missing their daddy they will be feeling their mums grief and the added upheaval of leaving their familiar home

To an autistic child constants are a necessity, change and differences will throw them completely What a very sad situation and also bearing in mind some people never get to know the real reason behind a suicide and without knowing there is no way of putting it to rest or answering all the many questions buzzing around in their brain
poor K how very difficult

Winstons wish if it's in your area is excellent You are doing right by them and time will pass and hopefully they will move on it's a shame your husband is not closer with his daughter as she sounds badly in need of a daddy's love Get them as much help as is offered if the 4 year old is at nursery be sure to tell them so they know how to deal with any extra storms

Genuine good wishes to you all ?