Gransnet forums

Relationships

End of tether with mil, need help.

(172 Posts)
Frustrateddil Tue 06-Dec-16 11:19:55

Hello – I’m new and here out of desperation. I’m on the other side of your traditional coin, as it were, and am hoping you’ll have some wisdom or strategy we haven’t considered, as I’m rapidly reaching the end of my tether with my mother in law, and all the daughter-in-law forums I’ve been to recommend we run and never speak to her again, which is a fairly drastic step I’m trying to avoid taking. I also apologise for the length – there is history, but I’ll try to be brief.

To set the scene, my husband is the only child of his parents, and his mum, my MIL, is also the only child of an only child. My MIL’s mother passed away about 6 years ago, so we and her husband are all she has by way of family, which is why we’re trying to avoid cutting her off.

My husband and I have been together for 11 years, married for 4. When I first met his mother, it was immediately apparent we’re very different people – she’s involved in the arts, is very extroverted and outgoing and open with her emotions, whereas I’m science-y, quiet, introverted and hate being the center of attention. Despite this, I was still hopeful we could have a good or at least workable relationship, as I get along brilliantly with his dad and also DH’s university friend who they’ve sort of ‘adopted’ as a pseudo-son.

Things were okish until we got engaged after we’d been together for 5 years (broke students = long engagement). At that point, her behaviour started to spiral. She’d always been a bit overbearing with how much involvement she wanted in our lives, and we did give her jobs and responsibilities with the wedding, but she went from ‘a bit over-excited’ (every conversation she had with us had to be about the wedding, she’d send us long rambling emails full of ideas we didn’t want, would attend wedding fairs without us) to ‘invasive but we could just about cope’ (she sulked and made PA comments for weeks when I said I was buying my wedding dress rather than letting her make me one, she nearly sabotaged our venue negotiations by calling them behind our backs, those long rambling emails became weird entreaties begging for us to change our dates or locations to something cheaper along with lists of things we could better spend the money on – not items that would have been helpful, but things like fresh rosepetals strewn down the aisle and things like that) to finally in the last 6 weeks, totally off the rails.

Due to a mix up with hotel rooms, we had to intervene and swap things around so a disabled guest could actually have a room with disabled access. MIL lost it.. Twelve increasingly hysterical and abusive voicemails, then radio silence for a fortnight, then when DH finally called her, she spent over 3 and a half hours screaming, crying, and wailing down the phone that if DH didn’t give her the control over the hotel rooms back, she and FIL would refuse to attend. Eventually, DH caved, but our opinions of her from that point on were permanently changed.

The wedding itself, the night before we each had family gatherings at separate restaurants. A cousin of DH’s grabbed me the following morning while I was getting ready, to report MIL had gotten drunk and spent the evening badmouthing me and DH about how we were so shameful and disgraceful and thoughtless, etc. Faced with having to confront and eject them from the wedding the day of and my DH not having his parents there, I kept my mouth shut, but having to cope with my blood boiling every time I looked at her didn’t exactly mean my wedding day was happy or relaxed.

After that, she sort of returned to normal for a little bit, and I kind of wrote it off and tried to just swallow the bad feelings – afterall, weddings make people crazy right? I was sure if she hadn’t apologised for her behaviour, it was only because she’d realised how bad it was in hindsight and was thoroughly embarrassed and didn’t want to bring it up.

Unfortunately, the last 18 months have given lie to that, and we’re now faced with how on earth to handle her. The first incident was she had a screaming temper tantrum in a car park at my DH that we should call our son her maiden name – I was not, and had never been pregnant at the time, we weren’t ready to TTC. This was followed up with an email that started out sensible but then became increasingly rambling and incoherent, and centered around the fact we’d double barrelled our surnames and this somehow made her feel left out and then spiralled into weird justifications about how he would always be her baby? DH acknowledged we’d received it, but never replied and never brought it up. He also overheard her saying to mutual acquaintances multiple times that she would have loved to have been more involved in our wedding but she ‘wasn’t allowed’. Blood boil – that was when I finally cracked and told him what she’d said about us the night before the wedding. He was horrified, but didn’t confront her.

God this is long: to the point. We’ve recently had two big things happen; we’ve just bought our first home (yay!) and are finally TTC (double yay!) She obviously knows about one but not the other, and she’s repeating the same behaviour. She got upset and very insulting to DH when we wouldn’t give her a house key to our new home to decorate it without us there, even when he spent 2 hours cajolingly explaining why. And now she’s kicked off a big argument because she has a whole load of her old furniture in storage, and feels we’re ‘insulting her’ by buying our own furniture rather than using what she keeps repeatedly offering. I want – no, I NEED to stop this behaviour NOW, before I get pregnant. Women from my family have dangerous pregnancies anyway, and the added stress she is likely to dump on me if she continues like this (or gets worse; she’s a little baby obsessed) could jeopardise the health of both myself and my child, and if it gets to that, I will cut her off rather than risk that, but I want to avoid it getting that far. So we need to force the issue NOW, rather than let it drag on to that point.

However, any drawing a line…well, the history speaks for itself really, in that it’s her way or the highway (with lots of screaming). When she isn’t acting like this, she is very loving and nice. She obviously adores her son – it’s just that she doesn’t appear to have any grasp of reasonable boundaries or expectations, and we really need to give her some.

So, MILs and grandmothers (and grandfathers, if there are any!) have you been in this situation? Did you and your adult children have to have a sit down and reset expectations? Did it go well? What would have made it go better? Are there any resources or books that I could point her at that might help her manage her expectations? Was there any logic or thoughts you had that led to an ‘Aha!’ moment that you think could be suggested to her? Is there something you think we might have missed that should be considered where we could change how we behave?

Help?

Jane10 Tue 06-Dec-16 11:33:39

Oh dear. She actually doesn't sound very well. Sorry to ask but does alcohol maybe play a part in this? She sounds so frankly out of control at times. She also sounds like a spoilt brat. Can you discuss this with your FiL? Maybe a serious family conference might help? She's the one with so much to lose if you do have to withdraw. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Hilltopgran Tue 06-Dec-16 11:36:44

There is a saying that has helped me on many occasions, We are given our relations, thank goodness we can choose our friends. I had many ups and downs with my over emotional, alcoholic MIL and have tried to learn the lesson and behave differently myself.

You are very understanding that you want to try and avoid complete breakdown, but it reads as if your MIL has been allowed to behave as a spoilt child all her life with people giving in to her. Her behaviour is very far beyond acceptable and I admire you for your perseverance. In my own case we set boundaries, if MIL went beyond what was acceptable we withdrew for a period, without rowing just maintained a distance, and when she calmed down and was able to be pleasent we would spend time with her again. Over the years things did improve, and things got better. Do not allow her controlling behabiour to spoil your life, she is the looser but you will have to be firm and not allow her emotional blackmail and bad behaviour change your own life.

Frustrateddil Tue 06-Dec-16 11:39:01

She drinks incredibly rarely, actually. It was why her behaviour before the wedding was so out of character and I was willing to write it off. Fil occasionally gets exasperated with her, but doesn't ever put his foot down on her behaviour; the screaming fits over the wedding, for instance, he refused to say anything over, literally stood there silently or left the room.

She is very active, but has no close friends. I think part of the problem was her best friend was her mother (who was in herself not a nice person a lot of the time, but mil never said no to her ever) and now she's gone, she expected dh to step into that gap, and has expressed hurt and frustration that he isn't willing to do so. I mean, they're very close, but to satisfy what she wants, he would effectively have to discard every other social connection he has in order to satisfy how long she thinks they ought to spend together.

Luckygirl Tue 06-Dec-16 12:08:21

OK - this lady is slightly nuts and her behaviour is not normal in the least.

I think you need to have some serious discussions with OH before you have your children (good luck with that, by the way) because once there is a child there will be no stopping her.

Can you move further away from her? - I am serious here; you cannot have her dominating your lives. If not you need to set some clear boundaries for the future, especially when there is a child involved. It does not matter in the least if she bad mouths you to others in response - they too will know her true nature.

I am sorry that you have this cloud hanging over you. I just think you must "man/woman up" and be very very firm indeed with her - but it will only work if you present a united front.

Granny23 Tue 06-Dec-16 12:17:27

Oh Lord your post has brought it all back and I am sorely tempted to spill out the awful history of my relationship with my MIL but this is neither the time nor place and obviously no help to you whatsoever except that be assured I understand totally and you have my sympathy.

For us the only improvement came when she went too far, in front of the children, resulting in my DH putting his arms round me +2 DDs and declaring 'This is my Family', then as we made for the door DFIL - a mild mannered 'never say boo to a goose' lovely man saying 'Can I come too?' And he did.

Leaving her to stew alone all day while the rest of us had a lovely day out seemed to work to some extent and we used the technique of putting her metaphorically on the naughty step with some success thereafter.

Best of Luck.

SueDonim Tue 06-Dec-16 12:30:28

Goodness, this all sounds horrendous. You must have the patience of a saint for putting up with it for this long.

My reaction would be to close down the arguments every time. Don't get into discussions with her, you'll never win. If she's ranting on the phone, then say that you do not wish to continue the conversation and that you are going to end the call. Say goodbye clearly and put down the phone.

If you are in her house or in public, again say that you do not wish to participate in this discussion, politely say goodbye and leave (paying your bill if you're in a restaurant, of course!) .

If she's in your house, that's rather different. Maybe again say you don't wish to discuss it and go to the garden or take yourself off to have a bath/shower - she can't follow you in there.

Another way to respond is to say 'thank you for that/your opinion/your advice. I'll certainly think about it.' That way, you've acknowledged that she's had something to say but you've not committed yourself to anything. No need to tell her you'll think about it for half a second and then dismiss it out of hand!

Best of luck.

Linsco56 Tue 06-Dec-16 12:33:35

This woman is more than just an interfering MIL. From what you've said, my guess is she has personality disorder.

If I were you, I would take a firm (not angry) stance with her and tell her each and every time she has breached your acceptable boundaries. If she decideds to throw a tantrum, let her.

When she becomes obnoxious, withdraw from her until the 'penny drops' that her behaviours are causing her loss of contact with the only family she has.

It won't be easy to change the behaviours of a lifetime but don't let that become your problem. It's hers, let her deal with it.

At least you have your own home and can escape from her. I feel very sorry for her husband.

Grannyknot Tue 06-Dec-16 12:52:15

The poor woman has become unhinged.

flowers to you, it will be a long haul.

Cherrytree59 Tue 06-Dec-16 12:52:46

What a dreadful situation for you.
You said she was artistic.
The painting 'The Scream' comes to mind.

Ask your husband and DFL if this behaviour has always existed.
Does you DFL try to intervene on your behalf?
And I would also ask your DH what his childhood was like.
If this has been her behaviour through out life then I'm afraid 'the leopard unlikely to change its spots'

If the behaviour has developed over past years then could be dementia or secretly drinking.
An alcoholic is very clever at hiding alcohol.
Is your MIL on any type of medication that could cause mood swings?

My own MIL was very controlling and wanted things done her way etc. Not to the same extent as your MIl.
I stopped visiting.
My DH and children visited her.
(Later on when my DC became adults we were able to become friends She now has dementia and I help look after her).
Until you have the true facts it is difficult to move forward.
Maybe stand back a bit and let your DH visit and communicate.
Don't get involved in phone or email battles it will only add fuel to the fire.

Only let her visit when you and your DH are together (united front)
Her visits should be by invitation only
And for a set time. (Have another later appointment at the ready)
Your DFlL could be pre warned so he can tell her its time they went home.

When you are pregnant and have DC then your health and that of the children must be priority.

Good luck

Jane10 Tue 06-Dec-16 13:02:34

Once the DGCs arrive tell her about Gransnet. We'll sort her out! I realise that this is a rather long-term plan though.
I do foresee withdrawal ahead for you. You'll have your hands full enough. Very difficult for your DH. He'll need your support.

Frustrateddil Tue 06-Dec-16 13:15:44

...is now a good time to mention that this is the last year we're spending xmas with either family, and it's the in-laws turn, so - unless this furniture argument well and truly spirals out of control - we will be spending 5 days with both mil and fil from the 23-27, at their house?

I am guessing from comments this is a bad idea, but we've agreed to cook and provide the turkey, so there's no way to pull out now without causing massive offense. At least I am assured it's the last time I'll have to do it.

Elegran Tue 06-Dec-16 13:18:24

She is acting like a toddler, so the best way for dealing with her could come from a source of advice for parents with unmanageable tots. Not all of it would be relevant, of course (not letting her have soft drinks containing tartrazine and making sure she doesn't get overexcited are not within your control)

However, some hints could help you, like knowing in your own mind what you will tolerate and what you won't, being consistent both over time and between you and your OH, choosing which battles to fight and which to avoid, having rewards available for good behaviour and sanctions for bad.

Look on it as training for the future, when you have pint-size version of MiL living with you 24/7! Good luck!

J52 Tue 06-Dec-16 13:23:55

You have my sympathies. As others have said, this is not acceptable or normal behaviour and you seem to have been very tolerant. Both your DH and you need to present a united, firm, but kind front and make it clear what is the way forward.

Some people have a very low tolerance of alcohol, my DM could only have one glass of wine before she became very maudlin, demanding and self centred. Your account brought back memories!

starbird Tue 06-Dec-16 13:29:47

SueDonim s advice sounds very good. This is not normal behaviour and it is best to just accept that your MIL has a disorder and learn to deal with by only interacting with her at a level that you can control. If she has any control over her behaviour, which she may not have, following the advice given above may work in time, or she may accept that she needs help and take steps to find it. It is very sad.

J52 Tue 06-Dec-16 13:30:16

I'd put up with things, if you can, just to get through Christmas. Long walks might be in order!

Re the furniture could you accept some, put it in your garage, have little bits in the spare room, up cycle some to make it fit in and then slowly get rid of it on the basis that the new stuff was a better shape, colour etc.

Having said that we have a huge brown chest I'd drawers from DHs family home. I prayed it would get up the stairs in our new house. It did!grin

FarNorth Tue 06-Dec-16 13:53:07

Getting through Xmas is one thing, taking any of the furniture is a bad idea.

FarNorth Tue 06-Dec-16 13:55:42

I think you and DH need to discuss the situation with FiL when MiL is not around, not just let him take a back seat while you get all the crap!

Frustrateddil Tue 06-Dec-16 14:05:43

@J52 (no idea how to do tagging): I foresee LOTS of walks. And jogging! My gym is open one of those days, so I might disappear there. I'm also an aspiring author, so I will count it as a blessing and curl up and try to straighten out my latest chapters.

I am dead set on not taking anymore of the furniture though. One of the things I have most been looking forward to is buying my own things. We already have her old dining set, and have just bought our first sofa having used her 40 (!!) year old cast off for the last 6 years. When DH told her we had gotten rid of it because it had given me back problems (not a lie) before he could say we'd bought a replacement, she jumped in to say she had one that was only 30 years old, did we want that instead?! This is our first house, it's tiny as a result, so I refuse to stuff it with anything we don't want, regardless of who gives it to us; we just don't have room. I'd be understanding and apologetic if we'd asked her to hang onto this stuff, but she's been told many times in the past that if the storage unit is a hassle, please sell it and its contents, we don't want them. It's looking increasingly like she didn't believe we meant it....

J52 Tue 06-Dec-16 14:14:17

Ah, didn't realise you'd already had stuff! Well it is time to put your foot down. Maybe now is the time and set the boundaries, before any little ones come along. If she sulks it won't last when she's a grandmother.

Best of luck! Come back and tell how it goes!

Stansgran Tue 06-Dec-16 14:41:05

I think the furniture thing is interesting. Smile and say how generous,how lovely how kind and do absolutely nothing. Gently put off all offers of delivery until " after we've finished decorating" ,"We're going to have the damp course checked so we don't want the furniture ruined" we're thinking of getting a cat and it might scratch until housetrained. This could go on for years. Nod and smile a lot. Treat them as you would an unusual visitor. It worked for me in the end.

Anya Tue 06-Dec-16 14:42:18

Yes, it is time somebody's foot was put down firmly, but that person needs to be your husband, before you are pregnant especially as you have a family history of difficult pregnancies. Your mother in law is clearly certifiable (and don't accept for a moment she rarely drinks, sounds like a secret drinker to me).

Sit down with husband, thrash this out, get him to square up to his mother and enlist FiL too. She will doubtless flip, but it's up to your menfolk to act as a barrier between her and you, so that she doesn't see you as the 'baddy'.

annodomini Tue 06-Dec-16 15:13:57

You refer to the furniture issue as an 'argument'. Well, don't treat it as such. If you argue about it, she will think there should be a winner - her, of course. Just change the subject or leave the room. There will come a time when she realises that there is no resolution. Also make it clear to DFiL that it's not up for agreement. After all, it's presumably his furniture too and somebody (he?) must be paying for it to be stored.

petra Tue 06-Dec-16 17:11:18

Run for the hills now.

starbird Tue 06-Dec-16 17:21:13

In my parents day ordinary working class people as we were, would not be able to afford new furniture and handed down items were gratefully received as the alternative was a junk shop (think Steptoe and Son) . Possibly MIL does not realise that times have changed and that furniure is much cheaper these days, relative to income, for people who are in work. But there are still people out there who would be glad to have good second hand stuff, probably not at this time of year though. Perhaps after Christmas FIL or son can make arrangements with a local charity for it to be taken away, or if there is anything of value, to be auctioned.