Gransnet forums

Relationships

Need to get this off my chest!

(41 Posts)
Lizzy53 Wed 11-Jan-17 10:19:42

I have had one of the worst festive seasons ever. We (my partner and I) were invited to my son and dil and 6 month old granddaughters.
As soon as I walked in I could feel the atmosphere in the house, my son was cooking Christmas dinner, my granddaughter was lying on the sofa gurgling away happily, I greeted everyone in my usual huggy manner, and got very awkward responses from both! once I said my hellos to everyone I made a Beeline for gd and 'helped' her open her pressies.
Champagne had been opened and they were on to the second bottle by the time we arrived.
Throughout the day I struggled to keep conversation light and happy, by this time dil mother and other siblings arrived. Things just got more awkward when son and dil kept disappearing and other Mum saying how much have you had to drink to dil and dil ignoring her totally.
Luckily my little gd was oblivious to all of this, and enjoyed being made a fuss of by gp's
It was obvious that more alcohol was drunk, and I just wanted to pick up gd and leave.
Some of the others left before us and
We left earlier than usual and I cried all the way home, I have never felt so miserable in all my life.
I text son over next couple of days to say thank you for Christmas dinner etc.,and ask if everything was ok, to be snubbed by a curt reply.
Couple of days later received E mail from ex husband to ask me if I knew what was going on, as he had heard from son that he had spent night in hotel!
On asking son to phone me, he replied that he needed some space and to leave him alone, you can imagine how this hurt, as we have always had a close relationship, and could talk about anything and everything.
I did send a happy new year message on 1st, and got one in reply, then nothing for a few days, then got message asking if I could have gd overnight, I asked him to phone me and reply was 'why, I'm only asking you to look after her'!
I do despair!
Then only couple of days ago got text saying they were looking for new house, put offer in and got it accepted, now scraping together to make up deposit, he has been in touch more with texts and one phone call, and the cynical bit of me thinks is this because he needs me to look after gd, or a loan of some money!?

Before all of this I had been dealing with other family and friend illnesses culminating in friends husband passing away and sister becoming ill, I just wanted a nice family Christmas and some moral support from someone I felt I could rely on other than my poor long suffering partner.

Sorry for the rant but needs to vent it!

luluaugust Thu 12-Jan-17 11:18:11

Some of whats been going on is surely down to very new gd being short of sleep may have thrown up problems they didn't know they had and married life may not be back on track. Have gd as much as you can and make the most of it it soon passes! Hopefully if a new home is on the cards things will settle down. Christmas just fell at the wrong time.

Legs55 Thu 12-Jan-17 11:19:51

I agree with so much advice on here, do try to just be quietly in the background & babysit when you can. Let them sort their own problems out. I don't think new Mums always realise what a struggle it is doing Christmas for the Family with the addition of a new baby.smile

I was lucky that I hosted Christmas for first two years after eldest DGS was born relieving the stress on my S-D & SiL. Her DM & S-F also stayed Christmas Day with them to help outgrin

Alcohol doesn't really help (been there....)hmm

Bagatelle Thu 12-Jan-17 15:57:42

Moving house is one of the most stressful events in life. Having a baby is another. Hosting Christmas for a large number on top of all that - it must all have been too much for them. A cheerful baby is a good sign though!

We all go through tough times. Re the increased contact recently, give him the benefit of the doubt for now and give him a hug when you see him. He will talk if he wants to, and more easily if you just give him the space.

notanan Thu 12-Jan-17 16:33:22

I am worried about the alcohol situation, especially with a baby
It was christmas day, with the pressure of both mothers there and a new baby and a row and a possible move…. (.. and breath!)

I'ld hardly say you caught her on a typical day, it's a massive leap to now be "worried about the alcohol situation.

I can see why your son is brushing you off, why don't you want to help unless he dishes the "dirt" on his marriage? - now you actually sound nice and I don't think that's what you're trying to do, but that is what your actions are saying.

Nanna191729 Thu 12-Jan-17 19:08:12

We should all be vigilant about young children where alcohol is involved. To be drunk in charge of a child can be viewed at worst as a criminal offence and at the least as negligence if someone has had so much to drink they are not totally capable of caring for a child. Being unable to respond to any emergency, being unable to drive (it's no excuse in law that you needed to get to a hospital), being unsteady when carrying a baby and possibly falling over - or worse - downstairs. I had to have very stern words with my daughter and her husband who were completely incapable after a night out. I was told to butt out but I threatened no babysitting ever unless I stayed overnight or had the baby at my house if they were going out drinking. Having a baby means growing up!

notanan Thu 12-Jan-17 19:39:01

Hang on a minute now, the childs father was there too, and unless he was unable to respond to an emergency or the needs of the child, the mother was not in any way neglecting or putting the child at risk by being drunk on that one day.

If she was drunk on a tuesday afternoon when she was alone with the baby.. that would be a major concern.

notanan Thu 12-Jan-17 19:41:31

being unable to drive (it's no excuse in law that you needed to get to a hospital)

That is complete rubbish.
Being unable to call a taxi if the child needs out of hours doctor - yes
Being unable to drive? err no. Not every parent has a car or a licence and they are not breaking the law.

Yorkshiregel Fri 13-Jan-17 08:50:50

Sounds to me like they had had a disagreement before you arrived. You can always tell. There is a distinct atmosphere which is hard to miss. Being extra polite, or worse snapping at each other is one sign.

I would hazard a guess that they were going through a difficult time. Maybe that is sorted, maybe not yet, but it does look as though they are trying if they went ahead and bought the house.

Like your son says, he needs a bit of thinking/me time. Nothing to do with you or how they feel about you, just something they have to sort out between themselves

On the positive side you will get to see more of your GD so why not celebrate that and make the most of it

We had bad news over Christmas too. My nephew and his wife have split. For the second time, which will probably end in divorce now. Count your blessings.

Yorkshiregel Fri 13-Jan-17 08:54:19

ps. About the alcohol. Surely you are allowed a drink or two over the Christmas Day aren't you? Unless it is a regular thing for your dil to have one too many I wouldn't worry. GD was gurgling on the sofa didn't you say? If she was clean and well fed and happy I would not worry.

Nanna191729 Fri 13-Jan-17 10:50:56

Notanan: you have misunderstood my point. Driving whilst under the influence is an offence under any circumstances not being unable to drive per se. In any case I was speaking generally and not specifically about the original scenario. I consider it rather rude to describe a comment as 'rubbish'. We are all entitled to an opinion whether or not you agree with it. Much nicer to just say 'I disagree' don't you think?

notanan Fri 13-Jan-17 21:09:46

You weren't stating it as opinion Nana, you were stating it as a legal fact, and you were wrong, that's not a matter of opinion.

(p.s. I didn't misunderstand you, you were just wrong. If you can't drive a car due to some alcohol but can safely access emergency help / care for a child if needed by other means (taxi, neighbour etc), no legal offense has occured there.

MissAdventure Fri 13-Jan-17 21:27:00

They've possibly not had a proper drink since your grandchild was born, and maybe just had a bit too much on that day.
All you can do is keep an eye (very discreetly) and hopefully it'll be clear it was just a "blip"

Starlady Fri 13-Jan-17 23:55:39

Well, the question now seems to be, does dil regularly drink a lot or was this just because of the holiday? If it's an ongoing problem, ds needs to take action. Otherwise, no big deal.

linj53 Fri 23-Jun-17 17:42:52

I am new to this site,joined a while ago but never posted anything or looked at site. I understand completely, I have had terrible 4 1/2 yrs husband passed away,daughter not speaking to me, not allowed to see grandaughter now turned 1.
But I am through it all and can now see the way I dealt with everything, so wrongly. I pushed my daughter further away, not realising at the time.
I now realise where I went wrong and the things that I said and did wrong. I can wait now and hope that she will talk to me one day and that I will see my gd.

I think that you handled the day very well, but I just wanted to say, although you do seem a very level headed and lovely person, not like I was, that maybe you could tell your soon (text Mes) you love him and that if he needs you, you will always be the there for him.
Sorry, but I would not want anyone to repeat my mistakes.
I am now in a great place and feel very positive. smile

petra Sat 24-Jun-17 19:51:40

linj53
I doubt if the OP will see your post. It was last January.