Gransnet forums

Relationships

50 ways to save a marriage

(36 Posts)
Teetime Sat 21-Jan-17 11:26:59

There is a an article in today's Telegraph that gives us 50 things we must do to ensure a long and healthy marriage. DH and I are diligently going through to ensure we do all of this of course. We are going to 'have each others backs' - this is a great relief to me - his back is in much better nick than mine. we are going to 'big each other up' DH thought I'd said 'dig each other up' which would be funky. I wish I could find you the link - we found it very strange and funny and could easily be condensed in to - 'be kind to each other'.

PRINTMISS Sun 22-Jan-17 13:39:22

After having tried all those for the past 60 odd years, I can strongly advise you to use your common sense!

Starlady Sun 22-Jan-17 14:29:39

Thanks, Teetime and janea!

Just skimmed through, will read closer later. But I can say, for now, that dh and I already do many of these, a few others would work for us and a few, absolutely not! For example, sometimes I need "space" from an argument. If I stay with it, "gentle" or not, it starts to deteriorate. Taking some time out, gives us both a chance to calm down and maybe come up with solutions.

"Heal" dh? I don't think Iv ever done or said anything that harmful and vv. Also, sometimes, dh doesn't want to be "healed/" feel better/calm down right away. He needs to sort of process his anger on his own if that makes any sense.

But, overall, good advice, imo.

Lona Sun 22-Jan-17 14:35:18

I only got to number 7! ? No wonder I'm single! ?

Nelliemoser Sun 22-Jan-17 15:36:58

What is that song? "Wives and Lovers!"

"Hey, little girl, comb your hair, fix your make-up, soon he will open the door,
Don't think because there's a ring on your finger, you needn't try any more.
For wives should always be lovers too, Run to his arms the moment that he comes home to you."

From that 50 list I get
"#7.Make sacrifices for your spouse. Drop everything when they call, forgo things for them, try to put them first in all your decisions."

Well that is no good when there is no reciprocation and it's all about him.

Lona Sun 22-Jan-17 16:23:09

Exactly nellie!

Starlady Tue 24-Jan-17 14:54:43

Hopefully, they meant it to go both ways. Otherwise, I agree, no good.

Phoebe221 Sat 11-Jul-20 13:11:02

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

PinkCakes Sat 11-Jul-20 16:22:04

What a very long, boring unrealistic list. I wonder if the list is aimed at people who are just starting off married life or those who haven't been married long?

I've been married for 40 years, together 42. I'm guilty of some of the "don't"s on the list, and so is my husband. We're fine, though.

Lucca Sat 11-Jul-20 16:25:37

Why has this ancient thread appeared ?

Grandmabatty Sun 12-Jul-20 10:17:10

It would be interesting to know who created these and what hidden agenda they had. Some sound eminently reasonable but others seem almost judgemental I think and pushing a certain type of relationship.