Gransnet forums

Relationships

I work with my partners ex

(63 Posts)
cassy Sat 28-Jan-17 13:55:01

Well this is a strange one, and I'm a bit miffed/pissed off to say the least. I discovered recently that the long term ex-girlfriend of my partner, works at the same organisation as both of us, although in different departments! He has always said he has never dated anyone from work, and he doesn't know that I even know her name. So when she introduced herself for the first time it hit me like a ton of bricks because I didn't have a clue - my knees actually went for a second. It was awful to have to compose myself immediately.
This is my quandary, how do I tell him I know she works at the same place. We haven't even discussed her name and I have never seen a photo of her. How can he just not say anything to me??
Has anyone got an idea of how to bring up the subject with him??

Cassy

Crazygrandma2 Sun 29-Jan-17 17:00:53

Whatever happened in the past, he chose to be with you. Let it go. I speak from experience.

Hollycat Sun 29-Jan-17 17:29:00

You sound very insecure in this relationship. Work relationships are frowned on and yet here YOU are. Presumably he is doing all the wrong things for all the right reasons in that he hasn't spoken of her because he doesn't want to upset you, and bring your wrath, jealousy or insecurity down on his own head. He is keeping quiet and avoiding conflict like a lot of men. He must be walking on eggshells. With that in mind why do you want to stir things up? If she was that wonderful he wouldn't be with you. Keeping watch, searching Electorial Rolls, wondering if, why and what - therein lies madness. He is with YOU. Get a grip.

Zorro21 Sun 29-Jan-17 17:48:05

Awful for you, because you were curious and now you feel guilty because you looked up this lady's details. In order to keep your own current relationship happy you must make yourself accept that the past is history. He obviously does not want to go over a past relationship with you. It must be upsetting for him, and he knows it could be potentially upsetting for you. And now it is. I wouldn't admit you'd made further enquiries at all. I think I'd casually ask when he is going to have finally sorted out his furniture arrangements with his ex though. Looking on the bright side, you might get on well with his ex. I'd keep the fact that you've met her secret from him.

Zorro21 Sun 29-Jan-17 17:53:28

What I mean really is: in order to keep your current relationship happy, keep it happy by being happy, even if you have to pretend, and worrying about an ex is not going to keep it happy. Bringing up the ex and admitting you've snooped is awful. The bloke will think you're totally insecure, and might think you'll start snooping on him next. Relationships fail all the time, but don't let it be yours when you think he's lovely. You'll feel better soon.

Synonymous Sun 29-Jan-17 17:57:17

Riverwalk grin

Elegran Mon 30-Jan-17 10:41:43

grin Storm in an espresso coffee cup.

Elrel Wed 01-Feb-17 14:47:17

Just realised - this reminds me of Boeing Boeing, or any Whitehall farce with several doors. Where's Brian Rix when we need him?!

gillybob Wed 01-Feb-17 18:22:33

I agree with Elegran and Janeainsworth what does it matter? Why bother bringing it up at all?

My sister is obsessed with her boyfriends (well they are in their 50's) past. His ex wife, ex girlfriends. She asks to see pictures and is forever going on about them and what they looked like, their personalities, why they split etc. . It would get on my nerves.

cassy Mon 06-Feb-17 17:52:26

Well I asked him about his ex and he refused point blank to tell me anything. So I have the knowledge of her working with me and dont know how to tell him I know!

Any suggestions to how i bring it up??

janeainsworth Mon 06-Feb-17 18:03:31

Don't.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 08-Feb-17 20:28:30

So you both met him at work then. I'd just come out with it to both of them, so what? All of you are doing/have done the same surely?

Starlady Thu 09-Feb-17 12:05:19

He told you he's "never dated anyone from work," but he has. He won't tell you anything about her. A lie and a coverup - sorry, but this doesn't bode well, imo.

He probably doesn't want you to talk to her about him. But why? What is he afraid she'll say?