Gransnet forums

Relationships

Support can i empathise that word please thread for families or anyone undergoing trauma through estrangement also positive moving on for us all

(130 Posts)
celebgran Mon 15-May-17 19:23:59

I do hope this new thread can be positive and not hijacked by unwanted nastiness.

Fairydoll2030 Mon 15-May-17 21:14:51

Narcissist - unstable, distorted self image, vain, obsessed with personal power and adequacy, lacks empathy.

Oops.......

Katek Mon 15-May-17 21:15:43

It's a word, not a statement. Now thst's nitpicking!!

Fairydoll2030 Mon 15-May-17 21:20:43

Well, I was right about something Bibbity - you are a young mum.
It's possible in years to come your life could change, radically. No-one knows what lies ahead. That gorgeous 11 month old you cherish could one day turn his/her back on you or prevent you seeing your grandchildren. Life can be bloody tough and unpredictable sometimes.

Compassion for others costs nothing, really.....

Fairydoll2030 Mon 15-May-17 21:21:18

But don't words mean something??????

Bibbity Mon 15-May-17 21:33:02

Of course she could.
But then again I damn well know I'm not going to do some of the quiet disturbing things I've read on these threads so I have hope.

I've never said anything that I feel was intentionally harmful.
Again if people are genuinely wounded by words they read here. Then maybe the internet isn't for them.

grannygrace Mon 15-May-17 21:33:12

There we go,I post shot down in flames.Can rely on it every time. My opinion is my opinion, self reflection is sometimes a wonderful thing.

grannygrace Mon 15-May-17 21:38:20

Quote fairydoll: It's possible in years to come your life could change, radically. No-one knows what lies ahead. That gorgeous 11 month old you cherish could one day turn his/her back on you or prevent you seeing your grandchildren. Life can be bloody tough and unpredictable sometimes.

And that's not a mean comment you made to Bibbity.

Fairydoll2030 Mon 15-May-17 21:39:39

You weren't shot down in flames GrannyGrace. I gaveyou the definition of narcissism.

It was the word YOU used! You need to know the meaning of such an emotive description before you suggest it's appropriate on this thread.

grannygrace Mon 15-May-17 21:46:37

Oh please Fairydoll I know the meaning full well,and see it played out on here by a regular poster. I do not use words I don't know the meaning of,that would be pointless.

Bibbity Mon 15-May-17 21:46:40

I don't think so. I've see some disturbing things her. Sharing personal pictures of minors without parental consent. Sharing school, names etc that's wrong and endangering the children they claim to love!

Anything could happen. Should I constantly live my life in fear that this or that could happen? No of course not. I will do my best and thy will be it.

Fairydoll2030 Mon 15-May-17 21:48:53

It's not a mean comment to Bibbity. (Please see her posts,of yesterday!)

She is a young mum who has posted some pretty spiteful comments on here targeted at estranged grandparents.

My point is that maybe, someday, something similar could happen to her.

I would have thought that the majority of people whom have read this thread would have stopped to reflect and then realised that it could happen to any of us. And none of us actually know how we would react if it did happen, despite the some of the smug, self-satisfied comments that have appeared from time to time along with the 'It's all your fault' type of posts.

I'm done with this thread now as I do have enough self-awareness to realise I just ain't getting through.

Fairydoll2030 Mon 15-May-17 21:50:29

...who (not,whom!)

Bibbity Mon 15-May-17 21:51:11

Grannygrace please forgive me! I misread! (There was a head in the way!) I though you were saying my comment was mean. My apologies!

Katek Mon 15-May-17 21:54:03

Today's 'young mums' are often in their late 30's having had (often still have) careers. They're not little girls to be patronised.

grannygrace Mon 15-May-17 22:02:13

I don't think Bibbity's posts were meant as spiteful,maybe the way they were taken needs some after thought.

celebgran Mon 15-May-17 22:22:19

Yes Katek I retrained as a beautician and also as a massage therapist in 2009 and 2010 studying anatomy and physiology to give me something to help me over the estrangement.

I don't do gel nails as they can be damamging,

Yes fairydoll good idea ref your pm

grannygrace Mon 15-May-17 22:30:55

Which means don't answer to the those with an opinion that differs to what you want to hear.Golly is like girl guides with secret codes.

Yes fairydoll good idea ref your pm

Katek Mon 15-May-17 23:05:47

It's such a convenient job to have-are you mobile or have you got a room at home? I know quite a few beauticians and I know they enjoy having a job they can fit round other commitments.
Personally I like going to a salon-feel more pampered there and it's someone else making tea! Do you do any nail art? There was a nail technician at the salon I use and she did the most amazing nails with 3 dimensional acrylic sculpting. I'll try and find a pic.

I know some people have concerns about gel nails but I've been having mine done for 6 years and they seem to be ok so far. Touch wood!

Luckylegs9 Tue 16-May-17 05:52:41

Kate's. There is a thread on Beauty which you might find useful. I only read your post because of the picture if your gel nails.
It would be far better for people that are estranged, just do not reply to the negative and deliberately upsetting posters, they are doing it to upset for whatever warped reason. Ignor, communicate with the posters who are genuine, feel sorry for newcomers to this thread for who wants to read such backbiting. To not reply to them at least they can communicate with each other, just look at the names and skip them, I don't read their comments now. I think when you are a genuinely caring person, it takes your breathe away to read such insensitive and sometimes cruel posts to people that are suffering, only someone that is going through that can fully understand.

ninathenana Tue 16-May-17 07:45:45

Tough day EGS1's 8th birthday this is the first since E so it's hitting home.

Happy Birthday darling.

celebgran Tue 16-May-17 08:03:54

Katek I am Mobile and most regulars are elderly bless them, I have a beauty room also as don't take massage couch out, yes I love nail art will try post pics when have time, when I qualified we were taught how the gel and false nails damage natural nails.

However I use gel formula nail polish and topcoat but not lamp.

Yes I agree is papmpering in salon my ed said (I trained for beauty when she was pregnant)I had shot myself in foot as I used have manicures, she was correct now I am too critical if I go to salon,
At time she said she wished I wasn't training but admitted she was being selfish,

Then I wants do Indian head massage but found needed study anatomy and physiology which I did and passed withndistinction (sorry for brag)

Yes I wish had done it years ago as sadly with back problem been unable do massages for months,
I can fit it in well with our social life and outings.

I gave up full time office work and got partition for solicitor i used gonschool wih when kids were at home, just 3 days week,

Sorry I have droned on!

When I used Have manicures I always had nail art. I like to use tiny gems and paint little flowers, etc love it,! Most ladies like it on big toe only.?

celebgran Tue 16-May-17 08:06:01

Ninathena my heart goes out to you?

Birthdays are so tough in our sad place,

My beloved Gra daughter will be 9 on 8 June Election Day, every year I upsets me more than I can say,

Thinking of you today, x

eddiecat78 Tue 16-May-17 08:08:29

Ninathenana - I`m so glad to see you back and that you haven`t been put off. Can you remind us about your story? I hope you get through the day ok. The first year after we were cut off from our Grandchildren was definitely the worst. We are about 7 years along the line now and starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel so don`t give up. Nothing will make up for the lost years but we do have some hope for a better future now
Take care of yourself today

eddiecat78 Tue 16-May-17 08:23:29

Oh - and just to explain why some of us have decided not to respond to certain posters - it`s not because we aren`t interested in other opinions - it`s just that we find it very depressing and exhausting having to deal with so much negativity. Personally I would prefer to interact with people who are interested in being nice to each other

celebgran Tue 16-May-17 09:09:23

Very well said eddiecat we will stick to this thread, fairydoll and I started 2 more in hope some people would read title i.e. Suport thread? Sadly they were unable to,

Hope smilless is ok she not been on few days thank goodness she missed some nastiness,