Gransnet forums

Relationships

When your GC first shows they know you ...

(52 Posts)
Imperfect27 Sun 23-Jul-17 07:58:26

This is an unashamedly joyful post from a first-time-around nanny!

I live at a distance from my DD1 and her family and I only get to see my (only) GC roughly once a month - sometimes six weeks pass. He is now 18 months. In the past I haven't 'rushed him' to come to me when I arrive, - he usually takes a little time to warm up to me, but then quickly settles into my company. My daughter is very good about promoting the 'specialness' of 'Nanny'.

For the first time, when I visited yesterday he immediately reached up his arms to me, full of excitement and saying 'Nanny, nanny!'

I babysat last night - bit of bated breath as it was only the third time - last time a year ago! He had had an untimely sleep, late afternoon and woke ten minutes before mum and dad went out. I was anticipating a stressful evening, but he understood and was reassured when I said Mummy and Daddy would be back 'soon' and let me tuck him up in bed after about an hour and went off to sleep no trouble.

Still smiling from the joy of it all and the sense that he really does know me and remember me now ... Happy days.

beckywitch Mon 24-Jul-17 13:11:05

KatyK Tears came to my eyes when I read yours. When they're little most show affection but receiving it from someone her age is praise indeed.
I was even pleased when I was meeting my daughter for lunch and my 18 year old granddaughter asked if she could come as well.
And, before you all say she was only there for the food - so what?

Elenkalubleton Mon 24-Jul-17 13:12:04

How lovely for you Imperfect,it's so special that relationship,they grow so fast I wonder where the years go.
We came back from a three week holiday in Australia when GD was about 5 years old.She met us at the airport with my daughter,I will never forget her eyes they were glittering with pure joy when she saw me.Shes 19 now and leading a very busy life.

NannaM Mon 24-Jul-17 13:49:10

Smiling and crying........oh yes, that smile, those eyes, that precious child.

Hm999 Mon 24-Jul-17 14:33:53

Brilliant

newnanny Mon 24-Jul-17 14:39:11

That is fantastic. It melts your heart when they look at you all trusting and loving doesn't it.

nightowl Mon 24-Jul-17 15:45:52

I have been looking after DGS 3 for one day a week for a year. In all that time he has been quite happy to be with me but shown no recognition of me as anyone special and has been quite happy to see the back of me when mummy comes home grin

His parents and I have had numerous conversations about what title I should have (long story), nanny or granny being the favoured options. We have of course used both terms to him. So imagine my surprise when I walked in last week to be greeted with a huge smile and the word 'gwanma'. Where on earth did that come from?

lilypollen Mon 24-Jul-17 16:01:15

What a happy thread! 4yo GD ha her hair cut last week and wanted it like Grandma (I have a chin length bob). Proudly came to show me yesterday and had to wear a pink top - like Grandmas does. Love her so much and recall the special bond I had with my late maternal grandmother. Actually found some letters she had written to me which brought it all back to me.

Tallulah57 Mon 24-Jul-17 16:33:57

Beautiful, happy days smile

Luckylegs9 Mon 24-Jul-17 17:45:12

Yes, happy days. Enjoy it whilst you can.

1974cookie Mon 24-Jul-17 18:41:19

Imperfect, I share your joy.
I do not have children, and as such, no grandchildren, but I am blessed by being an Auntie, and a great Auntie.
To hear my Great Niece and Nephew call me 'Peanuts' ( a name that I called them when they were tiny ) is a joy that I cannot begin to explain.
Keep smiling and enjoy ?.

Fairydoll2030 Mon 24-Jul-17 19:08:04

We have had a difficult and now non-existent relationship with our sons partner, and the fear is always there that she might make it difficult for our son to bring our only grandchild to see us.

A few months ago, when he had just turned 3, DGS was at our house and playing with his toy fire engine when he suddenly looked up at me and said, 'Nanna, I love coming to your house.' I felt really choked as I realised what a strong bond we have and I don't want anyone, ever, to try and break that.

Anya Mon 24-Jul-17 19:33:23

Thank you Beckywitch for posting that lovely moment. There are these special memories that we never forget and this will always be one of them for you smile

Caro1954 Mon 24-Jul-17 22:10:15

Lovely, lovely post!

grannyqueenie Mon 24-Jul-17 22:34:03

Lovely tales of happy times with our littlies here, it all passes so quickly I can't believe my oldest gd will be 15 soon and the youngest is 8. Like many here I've had these precious moments with all 8 of them, now as they get older it's different territory but I'm hoping the bonds we forged when they were little will be a good foundation. Thanks for initiating such a positive thread imperfect

mancgirl Mon 24-Jul-17 22:51:19

What lovely comments. Just today our 17 month old dgs got hold of grandpops cheeks turned his head towards him and gave him a kiss. He was overwhelmed and couldn't see him for tears in his eyes. How lucky are we grandparents to share these special moments.

maddy629 Tue 25-Jul-17 07:38:09

Awww, Imperfect27 I feel so happy for you, my youngest grandson is 18 months now and when I visit he come running to me and cuddles my legs. I wouldn't change those precious moments for all the tea in China ( as my grandma used to say).

Thank you for such a lovely post flowers

Legs55 Tue 25-Jul-17 10:17:38

How lovely for you, I spent part of yesterday with DD & DGSs. DGS1 is now 7 & loves Nan visiting, frequently giving me hugs & kisses. DGS2 is 2 months old but even so yesterday was listening to my voice when I was talking to his parents. It's such a special love as I have witnessed between my DD & my DM. Sadly her Dranddad is no longer with us but she was his little shadow as a child.

One of my most treasured memories is of my DGS1 & his love for Gramps (my DH who died just before DGS1's 3 Birthday). DGS1 is going to play "peek-a-boo" with his little Brother just like Gramps did with him, made me "well up".smile

KatyK Tue 25-Jul-17 11:38:22

beckywitch Yes it's rather lovely that they still have time for us when they are teenagers. Obviously we don't see as much of her as we used to but each time she sees us she flings her arms around us smile Long may it last.

eddiecat78 Tue 25-Jul-17 17:18:30

I don`t want to bring the mood of this thread down but, from all of us who aren`t able to see our grandchildren, I would just say - treasure every moment you spend with them as you never know what might happen in the future

Imperfect27 Tue 25-Jul-17 21:44:03

eddiecat and others - who don't have these experiences ... I am sorry that it is sadly so different for you. I am aware that these moments are a gift. As someone who has lost a daughter, I think the new relationship with my GC feels all the more precious - something new and so positive after a lot of heartache and not taken for granted.

I have people in my immediate family who do not see GC as they live abroad, or who will never become grandparents due to family circumstances and I am sensitive to this and aware of their pain. My heart goes out to all those who are hurting.

There is often tension around the awareness of differing circumstances that can lead us not to share as it can seem to be 'gloating', but that is not the intention here. Without in any way wanting to negate or ignore the feelings of others, I think it is good to be able to speak our joy at times and not to feel we have to apologise for it.

ginny Tue 25-Jul-17 21:45:37

I have two DGS , 18 months and 14 years. Little one waves his arms and yell 'Nana up '. ( for a cuddle) when he sees me.
Tonight my older DGS arrived after being away for two week and I hadn't seen him for about 4 weeks. He rang the door bell impatiently , flung his arms around me saying ". I missed you Nan".
Lucky lucky me. ❤️

Imperfect27 Tue 25-Jul-17 21:47:31

A memory came to mind yesterday ... my DD1 completely disarmed her granddad (my father) when she was three by saying 'I love you more than a sweet!' He was a gruff old git, not given to showing emotions, but I could see the tear in his eye.

Norah Tue 25-Jul-17 21:57:00

Imperfect27 "There is often tension around the awareness of differing circumstances that can lead us not to share as it can seem to be 'gloating', but that is not the intention here. Without in any way wanting to negate or ignore the feelings of others, I think it is good to be able to speak our joy at times and not to feel we have to apologise for it."

Your post is not gloating. Many Grans feel as you post originally, I think.

Imperfect27 Tue 25-Jul-17 22:06:28

Thanks Norah. I have been catching up after a couple of days laid low by a stomach bug. I was so pleased to read so many happy comments - and yes, GN needs some positive posts.

Greengage Thu 27-Jul-17 00:36:21

My first grandchild is just weeks old. She lives not far and I see her regularly for lots of cuddles. Really looked forward to becoming a granny but had no idea how strong my emotions would be. Adore her and will be chuffed if she loves me too.