Gransnet forums

Relationships

When your GC first shows they know you ...

(51 Posts)
Imperfect27 Sun 23-Jul-17 07:58:26

This is an unashamedly joyful post from a first-time-around nanny!

I live at a distance from my DD1 and her family and I only get to see my (only) GC roughly once a month - sometimes six weeks pass. He is now 18 months. In the past I haven't 'rushed him' to come to me when I arrive, - he usually takes a little time to warm up to me, but then quickly settles into my company. My daughter is very good about promoting the 'specialness' of 'Nanny'.

For the first time, when I visited yesterday he immediately reached up his arms to me, full of excitement and saying 'Nanny, nanny!'

I babysat last night - bit of bated breath as it was only the third time - last time a year ago! He had had an untimely sleep, late afternoon and woke ten minutes before mum and dad went out. I was anticipating a stressful evening, but he understood and was reassured when I said Mummy and Daddy would be back 'soon' and let me tuck him up in bed after about an hour and went off to sleep no trouble.

Still smiling from the joy of it all and the sense that he really does know me and remember me now ... Happy days.

cornergran Sun 23-Jul-17 08:02:56

Happy days indeed imperfect. Pleased for you. smile

Chewbacca Sun 23-Jul-17 08:10:28

Wonderful happy days imperfect! Absolutely priceless days that leave you feeling that you're very important to that little person and that there is no one in the whole world like "nanny". We're really very lucky! You'll be smiling all week!

Marydoll Sun 23-Jul-17 08:12:27

Imperfect I know what you mean, What a lovely post to read first thing this morning. The other day, I spotted our wee one with her other granny. As soon as she saw me, she started kicking her legs and shouting, "Gran, gran!*. My heart just melted .

Marydoll Sun 23-Jul-17 08:13:15

Good morning Chew smile

Lillie Sun 23-Jul-17 08:18:16

That's lovely, Imperfect, it really does give you a warm, fuzzy feeling!

Luckygirl Sun 23-Jul-17 08:44:57

How wonderful - enjoy!

Grannyknot Sun 23-Jul-17 08:59:06

imperfect that's lovely. I remember very clearly the first time my little grandson bestowed a beaming smile on me from his pram: it was as if because he couldn't speak, he was communicating in the only way he could at that age (he wasn't yet lifting his arms) that he was happy to see me.

And in case people read this and think "He was probably just smiling anyway" - this was a big, beam of love and a clear expression of pleasure directed only at me! smile

Gagagran Sun 23-Jul-17 09:01:11

Such special moments to treasure Imperfect and there will be many more to come.

I still have an action replay in my memory bank of going to pick DGD no 2 up from nursery, and aged 2 and 1/2 she spotted me from across the outdoor play area and cried out "That's my Granny" and ran to me with arms raised to be picked up.

I adore my DGC and even now they are all four teenagers and just pre-teens they are still loving and show that every time we see them. Hope it's the same for you. smile

Greyduster Sun 23-Jul-17 09:06:19

What a lovely post, imperfect. I have one GC and I know he loves us both, but I have to admit that he has always been "Gand's" boy; they were like 'me and my shadow' from a very early age. And no, there is not the slightest hint of ? in this post; I love it that they have such a close relationship. I asked him the other day whether, now he is getting older (he's ten) he would like me to be Nan instead of Nanny, but no, he said it wouldn't be the same if I weren't Nanny.

Imperfect27 Sun 23-Jul-17 09:06:59

smile smile smile Thank you all for your lovely comments and shared reminiscences. Grannyknot I believe you!

I guess it is a sense of full circle for me because I remember my own children racing each other to the door to let nanny in ... Funny how we discover these new joys and understand a little bit more of our own parents too. Definitely does the heart good.

ninathenana Sun 23-Jul-17 09:22:12

imperfect
I'm welling up smile

goose1964 Sun 23-Jul-17 09:32:05

I see my newest grandson every few weeks id not more often & I now get a special smile when I see him (nearly 5 months old) and we play a game taken from Bones where I wiggle my fingers and say phalanges and he giggles, his mum tried it and he looked straight at me as if he knows it's our game

Humbertbear Sun 23-Jul-17 09:41:06

I have always seen my GC weekly but have never forgotten the first birthday party of the oldest GD. She was at the far end of the room and having spotted me crawled the length of the room wending her way through people's legs and feet and having arrived at my feet raised her arms to be picked up. She is now 12 going on 17 but I treasure that moment and can forgive her a lot because of it.

Yogagirl Sun 23-Jul-17 18:54:27

I remember my beloved GD first saying to me "love you nannie" melted my heart!and how she always gave me a kiss & cuddle each time I visited with the "love you nannie". One occasion, think it was a house warming party at my D, I arrived later than everyone else as I had to work on that Sunday, as I walked in she gave me the biggest of smiles & squealed with delight when I opened my arms to her. My m.i.l said "do'u know that's the first time I've seen her smile seen I got here!" We had such a special bond. sad

BBbevan Sun 23-Jul-17 19:27:26

He knows you and loves you, and that will be with you all your life and all his too. Lovely

SueDonim Sun 23-Jul-17 20:49:02

We only see one grandson every few months so it was a heartwarming moment when he was about 15mths and we visited. I opened his car door when he arrived back from nursery and he burst into fits of giggles and laughed and laughed and laughed.

Another time sticks in my memory with my grandchildren in America, whom we only see annually at most. We visited them when they were about 2.5yrs and 5yrs old. As we arrived at their house the older one said 'Hello Nanna, we're making a castle out of Lego,' and carried on playing as though they had seen us a mere half an hour earlier. Their understatedness made me realise we are an everyday presence in their lives even though we don't physically see them very often.

smile

lesley4357 Mon 24-Jul-17 10:26:25

I have a really strong bond with my 5yo gd and every time I see her ( at least 3 times a week) she launches herself at me for a 'huggle'. My daughter says everyone else is invisible when I'm around! I'm so lucky. Long may it last

Rosina Mon 24-Jul-17 10:30:05

What a joy they are- what a lovely post.

KatyK Mon 24-Jul-17 10:34:53

How lovely smile Our granddaughter, who is 17, recently said to me 'I think you and me are quite close aren't we nan?'. I couldn't stop smiling.

farview Mon 24-Jul-17 10:44:42

?Lovely!

Blinko Mon 24-Jul-17 10:51:51

Being a Gran is great, isn't it? smile

Kim19 Mon 24-Jul-17 11:13:29

Imperfect27.....I share your joy. Quite wonderful, isn't it?! Lovely post as a foil to some of the more harrowing but nonetheless important ones. Thank you.

Sheilasue Mon 24-Jul-17 11:50:37

Happy days indeed enjoy all those moments with him and watch him grow into a lovely lad.

Smithy Mon 24-Jul-17 12:08:54

Ah yes special times!
My grandson is now nearly 16 but I still remember the first time he seemed to know me. I knocked on the door and my dil came to answer the knock with him in her arms. He saw he me, beamed and held out both arms to me while my heart did a somersault. I've never forgotten it. Enjoy!