Gransnet forums

Relationships

Exam results

(38 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 13-Aug-17 11:41:06

Youngest grandchild has her A level results this week and I am a wreck, I was concerned when her siblings were waiting for their results but this time I am in bits. She is a complicated little person, was only ten when her mother left the family home and she and her siblings are very close. She only wants to get in the same university as her brother did and sister is, she wants to be in the same town with them . Nothing I can do but why can I not be more sensible about it .

J52 Sun 13-Aug-17 11:55:03

I hope she is successful, but there are a couple of back up strategies:
If her results are not what was required, she should phone the admissions tutor immediately, they may still give her the place ( it was the case for youngsters I know ). Failing that search the clearing places for that university and see if she can get a place on a related course requiring lower grades.
Good luck!

Anniebach Sun 13-Aug-17 21:18:13

Thank you J52 I feel daft getting so worked up , she will not discuss it and I respect her way of coping with the wait. Again thank you

mumofmadboys Sun 13-Aug-17 21:23:06

Soon be over Annie! Hope she gets what she needs.

nanaK54 Sun 13-Aug-17 21:27:56

Everything crossed for her

grannyqueenie Sun 13-Aug-17 21:38:07

Love isn't always "sensible", Annie, hope it all works for her, either way you'll be there for her as you've been in the past. X

Anniebach Sun 13-Aug-17 21:47:06

Thank you I haven't been this anxious before, worried and concerned yes but I need to get a grip . Her Dad and I give her much attention but she wants to be with her sister and brother , they are very protective of her .

Anyway I will be positive , stand by for a post end of month as my third baby heads for university, I will be lost , hey ho

Starlady Mon 14-Aug-17 03:50:25

Keeping my fingers crossed for your ygd, Annie!

Whatever happens, by the end of university, she'll probably be more independent and not want their protectiveness so much. Maybe even by the end of the first year. You know how that goes.

Luckylegs9 Mon 14-Aug-17 06:55:11

Whatever happens, she will cope, I hope if it's not the news you hope for, you turn it into a positive, who knows what path her life will take, it could be for the better, as long as she has family to fall back on, she will learn independence away from her siblings. My son is a good example of that, despite not going to University, he has done far better than anyone could have envisaged, but the best thing of all that I am proud of, he is a thoroughly lovely guy with a heart of gold.

Lillie Mon 14-Aug-17 07:09:48

Annie, you're worrying because you care and that's how it should be, particularly if you've played a big part in your GCs' upbringing. Your GD is now ready to make her own decisions and whatever results she achieves, things will fall into place.
I'm assuming she has a back up choice for lesser grades, so if she does need to rethink her first choice of uni, then just help her in a practical way with searching quickly for accommodation. Fingers crossed.

MawBroon Mon 14-Aug-17 07:28:32

I am sure it is a truism that we worry most about the things we can least affect.
My head says you did not take her A levels, so you could not directly affect how she has done, my head also says that the papers are long since marked, moderated, checked so again nothing can be changed. The results will be in school/college by Wednesday so nothing can change, but because all of these things ARE beyond our control all we can do is wait and worry.
Perfectly understandable.
Chances are she will be fine but a plan B does no harm, including an open line of communications to her (I hope helpful and sympathetic) careers teacher/Sixth form tutor, and an awareness of alternative options - appeal to the university, Clearing etc being just two.
My 3 daughters all had disappointing results in ONE of their A levels and there was much wailing and soul searching. The eldest ended up at Manchester instead of Nottingham and could not have made a better choice! Great course, loved being in the North, wonderful friends and an excellent degree. The second did not let it deter her, carried on as planned took an extra year to get to where she wanted to be and has never looked back. The youngest rethought, reapplied for a totally different course, went travelling, worked to gain practical experience and ended up with one of the best degrees of her course.
Yes I wept with them but TBH if they had NOT had these setbacks I genuinely believe their lives would have been different and they would not be where they are now. They have done better and their lives have been richer precisely because of what happened.
Of course I can see how your DGD has set her sights on following in her brother and sister's footsteps and truly hope that all will be well. It is also natural that you worry, that's called love.

gillybob Mon 14-Aug-17 08:04:37

I can totally understand how anxious you are feeling for your DGD Anniebach . We all just want what's best for them don't we? I remember what I was like trying to get my DGD into the secondary school close to home, I couldn't think about anything else and was literally worried sick about it. She too totally refused to discuss the alternative. Am I right in assuming that if her A level results aren't as good as expected she will definitely not get a place at the university where her siblings are/were? Is it possible that she may still get in through clearing or is it a very popular university? I have my fingers crossed for you/her. I think I worry more about my DGC's futures than I ever did my own children. What are we like?

You say she is complicated well we all are in our own different ways aren't we?

harrigran Mon 14-Aug-17 08:25:24

DS did not get his university place of choice, one of the problems of oversubscribed courses. He went into clearing and did a completely different course, met his wife and has been in employment since the day he left university. All's well that ends well.

Greyduster Mon 14-Aug-17 08:38:03

You're a caring gran, Annie; it comes with the territory! I hope your GD gets the results she needs. ?

Teetime Mon 14-Aug-17 09:26:56

I hope Thursday goes well anniebach and as others have said the chances are she will get into the university she wants to and then you can start worrying about what she's up to!!!
My Granddaughter gets hers on Thursday too - she is autistic and has chosen a University near home so she can go home at weekends if she wants to. She hasn't struggled academically mostly because she is very obsessive and thorough with the work but she will have problems with being with a lot of people and sharing a bathroom is going to be very stressful for her.

radicalnan Mon 14-Aug-17 09:56:00

Let us know how it all goes for her, and you. She will probably never know how many people are rooting for her.

I am quietly confident that all will be well.

Disgruntled Mon 14-Aug-17 10:14:27

Everything crossed for her and for you, Annie.

MiniMouse Mon 14-Aug-17 10:22:27

??? for the results

Hm999 Mon 14-Aug-17 10:28:19

Back up plan - many local colleges do degree courses, so don't just look at universities in vicinity of siblings/home/you, Annie.
Good luck to all grandchildren, this week and next.

Coco51 Mon 14-Aug-17 10:38:54

It's hard isn't it? But there is so much time for a young person to get to where they want to be, albeit by a circuitous route. DS got distracted by a woman in the midst of his Btec and had to retake, then he got to the same uni as she was at (as a mature student +4 years older than DS) After a year he hadn't settled on his course so transferred to another, and came out with a 2.2.
DD planned to to to uni with her friends, but didn't get the grades. She broke the news while I was at work, so there was I sobbing on her behalf,with people coming up and asking what was the matter. Within half-an-hour, she'd rung admissions and got herself on to a similar course, had a whale of a time and came out with a 2.2. As for me, I so regretted my decision not to go to uni when I visited them on campus, but finally studied with the OU and ended up with a 2.1 at the age of 61. Never say never. (BTW DS married girlfriend, and they are now divorcing)

Caroline123 Mon 14-Aug-17 10:53:59

Whatever happens you're there to help her. Sometimes that's all you can do. She's lucky to have someone who cares so much for her. Good luck!

chicken Mon 14-Aug-17 11:14:19

Never give up hope Anniebach. My DGD had been offered a scholarship to Cambridge but failed to get one of the grades. She wept herself into an emotional wreck until we persuaded her that she had nothing to lose by ringing them up and throwing herself on their mercy. Their initial response was that their was very little hope but the following day she had a call to offer her the place after all.

Rosina Mon 14-Aug-17 11:20:42

You have my sympathies Anniebach - I am also in knots about results for my grandson who is a gentle, retiring boy with fair amount of unhappy history (none his fault) and I am longing for him to get some good grades to boost his confidence for the future.
I read the other day that this current set of A levels have been the hardest for a long time as the dumbing down in previous years in order to make the system look good has been heavily criticised. What a farce it all is - young people are put through flaming hoops and suffer anguish while politicians move the goalposts on what seems like a year on year change of strategy - evidently we are to blame Michael Gove for the fact that these were stiff exams. Presumably students of previous years can either thank their lucky stars, or possibly feel that their grades are second rate - and there was a recommendation to push for a re mark if grades seem wrong, as some have been marked up several notches after being scrutinised. Good luck to your littel grand daughter - I wish her well, and all those others who are longing for Thursday to come and go!

Rosina Mon 14-Aug-17 11:21:56

'little' - terrible typist strikes again.

TenGran Mon 14-Aug-17 11:32:34

My grand daughter also in bits waiting for Thursday. Being a bit of a cow tbh! I tell her she will feel a lot better once she has the results and knows for definite what she is working with.