Gransnet forums

Relationships

Husband can’t cope with new dog

(81 Posts)
ruthiek Sun 05-Nov-17 19:51:35

Can't believe I am saying this , after 45 years of having dogs, a month or so ago we got a 4 year old rescue , DH who has been a rock during a really awful year for both us , was the instigator in getting the dog but is now finding it hard because the dog is not trained at all , so do I push him to keep the dog or look after dh who seems to struggling with everything ?

glammanana Mon 06-Nov-17 10:36:46

Can the Dogs Home not foster the dog out for you for training if hubby is getting attached, they may be able to calm the dog for you whilst you manage to get your hubby back to his usual self.Other wise I would return the dog and they will find a family who can manage his/her problems and training better than you can at the moment.

GrannyParker Mon 06-Nov-17 10:39:19

I would say it’s in the best interests of DH, you and the dog to take it back, to the rescue centre, or at least make them aware of the issues, they might be able to help with the training if you do decide to keep it.

Zorro21 Mon 06-Nov-17 10:41:53

Be patient with the dog - it takes time. If you get rid you are going to make your husband, who was the instigator in getting the dog, unhappy. Take it one day at a time. Training takes time. Devote time each day to the poor dog - it deserves your love and so does your husband. Someone has to be the dog's pack leader and dog has to know who it is.

Allegra22 Mon 06-Nov-17 10:56:12

The dog could end up being the most wonderful companion. Keep the dog. It shouldn’t be an either or situation. I managed to look after my mother who had a type of dementia in my home, taking on her dog and 3 cats whilst having a family and dogs and cats of my own. When you take a dog on its for life. Sorry to be blunt but I feel very strongly about it.

wilygran Mon 06-Nov-17 11:19:50

Sadly take the dog back right away. Most reputable rescue organisations will take a dog back, especially as you have done your best. They want a successful, happy placement too & when it genuinely isn't working out they'd rather you told them.

MamaCaz Mon 06-Nov-17 11:32:37

If your usually 'rock' of a husband is not coping, then of course his needs should be paramount. Dog's needs versus husband's - seems like a no brainer to me!

ecci53 Mon 06-Nov-17 11:49:47

I agree with Anya. Keep the dog. A month is not long enough for the dog to have understood your way of doing things. You will both have the reward of seeing the dog become a valued friend and companion. You need to take a long term view.

Bagatelle Mon 06-Nov-17 12:05:22

Maybe you and this dog are just not suited to each other and it might be happier elsewhere. The perfect dog for you is out there somewhere, you just have to find it and give the loving home that it deserves.

chrishoops Mon 06-Nov-17 12:14:10

Hello

It is a difficult situation but a dog is a really good distraction from our problems of ill health etc. A good reason to go out for a daily walk and a change of scene.

Is it possible to get some good dog training sessions built in around your day? I would consider asking for help from the rescue people.

As you said you DH might regret it if dog goes back to rescue.

Dogs are good for us, stroking is good for our hearts and well being, so if the dog could calm down and settle this might be really good for both of you?

But of course it is yours and your DH decision and I don't mean to put pressure on you.

Best wishes with the outcome.

Elegran Mon 06-Nov-17 12:24:22

It is all very well someone saying take the long view and believing that once the dog has been retrained to be the way you want him to be you will be glad that you persevered, but your husband is in need of some consideration NOW and if you leave him stressed you could find yourself with a perfect dog and a very sick husband.

IngeJones Mon 06-Nov-17 12:35:43

Of course everyone feels sorry for this dog as it's not his fault he's not been trained properly in the past. BUT... One's own husband or wife has to come before everything and everyone else - whether a dog or another person and no matter how nice or deserving they are.

W11girl Mon 06-Nov-17 12:38:03

Thank goodness you responded to Mawbroon telling her your husband had become ill. It was not mentioned in your original post and I thought the same as Mawbroon. In the circumstances you have no alternative but to return the little mite to the rescue centre. A sad set of circumstances for all, but needs must.

Tallyann1 Mon 06-Nov-17 12:39:08

Maw broon...couldn't agree more!

sarahellenwhitney Mon 06-Nov-17 12:44:50

Mawbroon
I admire the common sense in your reply..
I am a sucker where animals are concerned especially dogs.Patience is required when you adopt a dog as would be expected were you adopting a human being.
I am thinking of the dog where my advice is concerned as I have no doubts this poor animal is seen as a nuisance. Was no thought put into it before it was decided to adopt a dog that had already been owned by another?Then he /she, I would not refer to a human as an IT sad so why an animal, should be returned to the home.

susiegee Mon 06-Nov-17 12:58:32

Having a dog means you have to make the effort and that can often be therapeutic if you have stress or mental health issues as it gives something to focus on. My guess is you need an instant resolve or I would say don't give up on the dog but attend dog training classes where you can both be involved in its training.

Iam64 Mon 06-Nov-17 12:58:43

Has your husband seen a doctor? 45 years of rescuing dogs will have prepared you for the issues they bring with them. As with Anya, the most difficult rescue we ever brought home became just the most loved and easy to care for dog we've ever had. In contrast a puppy we chose carefully from a good breeder, saw both parents and the rest of the litter etc etc - nightmare. I feared my husband might move out at one point but I brought the pup home and I've never rejected a rescue or foster, never mind a pup I selected. The pup is now much loved by my husband who finds his special ways entertaining.
I hope you can resolve this and don't see it as simply a 'take the dog back' situation.

merlotgran Mon 06-Nov-17 13:06:07

Do we know which breed of dog this is? I would have thought training a dog at four years old would be quite a challenge but not impossible.

If the OP's husband is the one finding it hard then most of the work will fall to the OP and she may be run off her feet coping with her DH's needs.

It's a shame there wasn't more thought put into the decision to home a rescue dog in the first place. We're none of us getting any younger!

MawBroon Mon 06-Nov-17 13:18:05

ruthiek are you prepared to share what the problems are?
Is your husband gravely ill or just under pressure (I respect your need for anonymity) and as experienced dog owners what prompted you to choose this dog? A challenge?
My bottom line is is she trainable? Some rescue dogs from abroad arrive so traumatised they may be beyond help even with the most dedicated owner. Otherwise why not discuss the situation with the rehoming centre? A reputable centre will want to do what is best for you both. Perhaps have her back on a temporary basis until,the current medical crisis (if it is) is over or else advice with a behavioural expert.
You do not say in what way the dog is “untrained” although I did ask. Many kennel dogs (beagles from research labs) are untrained but that need not mean they are impossible to train.
However if your heart is not in it, give the dog a chance with another family. She has done nothing wrong.

Telly Mon 06-Nov-17 13:22:39

In this exact position a few years ago. Experienced dog owners, ill husband. Got small terrier x after much debate. She was a terror, never stopped. Lead my husband chronically ill husband to say she had ruined his life. Came very, very close to re-homing. That was 8 years ago, she is now a devoted companion and has made a huge positive impact. I would say stick with it, perhaps get a trainer in?

Tessa101 Mon 06-Nov-17 13:37:43

Poor dog if you feel you can’t keep her then be good to get her back to rescue centre today rather than tomorrow. she is already a rescue and it will unsettle her even more, your DH has you she will need to start over again.

valeriej43 Mon 06-Nov-17 14:17:12

Please give the dog a chance,remember she is in a strange home and environment and maybe hasn't settled yet, a month is not a long time
You don't say how she is not trained,
I think your husband would get a lot of pleasure out of training her,and no doubt she will repay you for rescuing her with loyalty and affection
My sister got a rescue dog and ended up taking it back, and still feels guilty

Yorkshiregirl Mon 06-Nov-17 14:23:48

A month is no time at all to train a dog, especially a rescue who may have been roaming the streets, or badly treated. It will take time, patience, love and understanding. I stood outside freezing for about 8 weeks until my puppy got to know that she had to do her business before going inside. Over the top praise like a nutter, and treats when the dig has done well. Please ask me for any tips on anything. Good luck

Yorkshiregirl Mon 06-Nov-17 14:27:55

Btw I have cancer and I'm 61, and my puppy is still only 8 months old and still very much hard work. I have coped (just about), and I'm back out walking her 2 days after my chemotherapy sessions. She is turning into a lovely little companion, and I'm so glad I didn't give up when I went through surgeries and was also very ill.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 06-Nov-17 14:40:05

What does your husband want to do? Keep the dog or give it up? Or is he leaving the decision to you?

Depending on how ill he is and what he is suffering from, having a dog might just be a good thing, but unless you both really want to keep this dog and give her a chance, AND you have the time and the strength to train the dog and look after your husband without running yourself into the ground, I am afraid it would be better for all three if you returned the dog to the shelter with a proper explanation of why you sadly cannot keep her.

Christinefrance Mon 06-Nov-17 15:14:45

For goodness sake the OP made an error of judgement, we have all done that.
ruthiek concentrate on getting your husband well and let someone else care for the dog. I am a dog lover and have three but in this situation there are no winners.