Gransnet forums

Relationships

Redheads..

(33 Posts)
Grannyonasuperbike Fri 17-Nov-17 17:57:20

My son has become a father for the first time, he is 27 years old, a serving soldier and is away from home quite a lot. His daughter is the apple of his eye. She is now 7 months old.

My son is a natural redhead, I was born a redhead, we both have blue eyes. His girlfriend is a natural redhead with brown eyes.

The baby has dark brown hair and brown eyes.

I'm just so worried that the baby is not his as a few years ago a previous girlfriend fell pregnant, the baby was born and the midwife had suspicions that it couldn't be his, due to its colouring. I paid for a DNA test and he was 100% not the father.

We now all have a lovely relationship, but my son was so distraught last time I thought he would harm himself.

I was convinced that the new baby would be a redhad as I thought two natural redheads would have a red haired baby....

Should I just forget about the past and enjoy what we have? The hurt from before is gnawing away at me.

grannyticktock Fri 17-Nov-17 22:54:05

Brown eyes are dominant, so that's easily explained. Red hair is usually recessive but I don't think that's so clear cut, as the hair colour can change with age, and in any case a brown-eyed redhead may not be a "true" redhead from an inheritance point of view, the hair may be "hybrid".

If you son has already confronted this issue in a previous relationship, it must have crossed his mind this time. If he's decided to accept the baby, it's not up to you to say anything, just follow his lead and enjoy your granddaughter.

paddyann Sat 18-Nov-17 01:36:28

I have grey eyes my husband has brown we have one brown eyed and one blue eyed child ,grandchildren have one brown one blue one grey one green ,although only one of the four parents have brown eyes and the rest are blue ....its a lucky dip !I would keep my suspicions to myself.Look for other aspects that are familiar in your GD,my son has all his GF's mannerisms and my GD,my sons child, should have been my daughters she's so like her ,in looks and personality and mannerisms ..in fact we found my D's report card from primary school today and my GD's could have been written about the same child

Bellasnana Sat 18-Nov-17 07:25:22

I believe both parents have to carry the gene for red hair for it to be passed on to their offspring.

DanniRae Sat 18-Nov-17 09:20:53

My husband and I both have brown eyes.
My mum and dad both had brown eyes.
My husband's mum had brown eyes but his dad had blue
eyes.
However my first daughter has blue eyes and my second
daughter has grey/blue eyes! Only my third child - our son -
has brown eyes!!!

Bluegal Sat 18-Nov-17 17:29:21

We were taught in biology that no two blue eyed parents could produce a brown eyed child as brown was the dominant gene.

I have a cousin who disproves this totally. BOTH parents have blue eyes and my cousin has dark brown eyes! OK cynics would be asking for DNA ....EXCEPT she is the spitting image of her father's sister who has brown eyes.... so obviously never cut and dried even with genetics.

Forget it and just enjoy your GC.

M0nica Sun 19-Nov-17 11:24:29

Looking at my family, there are several of these anomalies. Both my DGP had hair so dark it was nearly black and dead straight, as did all their siblings and parents. Three of their 11 children, scattered down the range had tightly curled fair hair. Infidelity was highly improbable. They were constantly on the move as DGF was in the army and DGM had their growing family to care for.

My father was one of the fair frizzy ones. My mother also had tightly curly hair and came from an equally dark haired family. My hair is dead straight. At 2 my hair was egg yoke yellow and my DGM thought I was going to be ginger haired. I am not, I am golden brown with strong red lights. There is nobody else in the family on either side with even a hint of red hair, not even my siblings, DC or DGC

Genetics are funny things and throw up all kinds of surprises

humptydumpty Sun 19-Nov-17 12:22:15

Grannyonasuperbike, please, leave this alone! have you watched the storyline with Mary in Corrie recently...