Gransnet forums

Relationships

I feel I am living in a prison

(81 Posts)
Tuppence21 Wed 21-Mar-18 14:57:36

For many years I held a responsible job which took me all over the world and meant I was away for up to two weeks at a time. This was mainly after my children had grown up and left home. My husband who had to take early retirement for health reasons did not mind this and we had a comfortable lifestyle.
Now I am retired and my husband insists we go everywhere together. Although he still goes out alone if I want to go for a coffee with friends I face an inquisition and he has even suggested he comes with me when I go to the hairdressers! If I arrange to go out whilst he is out he suggests cancelling his arrangements to come with me.
I find the whole thing oppressive and the daily bickering about this is getting me down. We have very little to talk about now and I think the situation is unhealthy. I enjoy our outings together and we go out regularly every week but would still like time with my girlfriends and siblings. My adored Mum is in her nineties and not in good health but I cannot even visit her alone and need time with her in the final years.
This may sound selfish to widows and divorcees but I cannot take much more. I have tried talking, pleading and, sadly, shouting but nothing seems to improve the situation.
I would just go away for a couple of days but am terrified he would call the police if he didn't know exactly where I was.

pippa2020 Sat 24-Mar-18 13:58:33

First line of call is a wee sample and a visit to the doctors to check he has,nt a urinary infection which can mess with the chemicals in the brain. on that note i cared for both parents here in my home and that was always the first line to go down. If all is physical well then it could be not being in control anymore and so wants to control what you do....this is an insecurity . Maybe set a routine for the week and join something together to do.

Stansgran Sat 24-Mar-18 16:20:28

Over winter we tend to have one car on the go and I do find that DH will jump in with a"I'll run you there.phone me when you want to be picked up. How long????" when I say I'm meeting a friend to shop and have lunch. He doesn't like being without a car but cant envisage a long natter with a friend. He just doesn't do chat. Could it be that op's DH doesn't like being without a car?

Madgran77 Sat 24-Mar-18 16:35:33

Bez1989 Good for you ...but you appear to be rather missing the point in relation to the OP ...she is not describing "togetherness"!! Glad that you are enjoying each other ...but there is nothing in the OP that suggests she doesn't "VALUE" (as you wrote it!) her husband...she is just expressing concern and asking advice about her lack of "space" in the relationship!!

welshgirl2017 Sat 24-Mar-18 18:13:53

grandtanteJE65 gives good advice - I agree a visit to your GP would be very worthwhile. It sounds to me that your husband may well be suffering a mental health problem. Don't get fobbed off by your GP either - be persistent and emphasis the detrimental effect his behaviour is having on both you and your husband. Any competent GP should pick up this change of behaviour as a warning sign. Good Luck.

Magmar Sat 24-Mar-18 20:47:43

Tuppence21 Your OH sounds lonely to me - I get the impression he doesn't have any friends to pop down to the pub with or to watch a football match together. Have you considered joining your local U3A (University of the Third Age) - there is probably a group in your area? If you joined together and attended the monthly meetings you would both discover a whole world of activities to take part in, together or separately, and your OH may come across people he knows and find an interest he may enjoy without you. It's been a lifeline for many retired people I know, and it's easy to make new friends.