Gransnet forums

Relationships

I'm getting married!

(101 Posts)
Burypudding Mon 16-Apr-18 21:15:21

I was proposed to on Saturday and I accepted! I met my new gorgeous man while in hospital, he was visiting his mother and we got talking, and it went on from there. He's a bit younger than me, 45 years old to be precise, lovely, kind and genuine. I am so excited. My ring is a beautiful ruby (very apt) with two little diamonds either side, in white gold.

We are planning for next year to get married. Neither of us want a church service or a register office, so I am asking if any of you have any ideas of other types of weddings? It will be a small gathering so nothing on a grand scale please.

All ideas welcome though. Thank you. Xxx

Burypudding Wed 18-Apr-18 01:09:16

Thank you all so much for your congratulations and warm wishes for me and my new fiance, gosh, that sounds strange, lol.

I'm taking all your advice and working through the selections you are giving me. I am surrounded by bride magazines, looking at dresses and options to a wedding dress. Obviously when I've done it before and wore the white wedding dress, and it ended in divorce, then I am wondering if a traditional dress is the way to go. I suppose it depends on where we decide to have the ceremony, something around nature sounds like a good idea.

What is a hand-fasting ceremony, that sounds interesting and has anyone had one?

Back to the magazines and internet searches. . . Xxx

dogsmother Tue 17-Apr-18 22:56:20

Congratulations to you, wonderful news .
May you both be very happy and have a beautiful wedding and a happy life together ?

felicitycelebrant Tue 17-Apr-18 19:26:06

Congratulations! I'm a Humanist UK celebrant, one of 500 or so around the country, and (of course) I'd say that a Humanist wedding is the thing to do. they are very personal, and designed with and for you both, and can be held literally anywhere - I've done them on beaches, on campsites, and of course in people's gardens. This makes it much cheaper than using one of those registered wedding venues, and much more personal. You do have to go the the register office too, but you can do a cheap and simple option, and then make the Humanist wedding the "real" wedding, with family and friends. I've no idea where you are, but to find your nearest Humanist celebrant who can tell you more, go to humanism.org.uk/ceremonies/find-a-wedding-celebrant/

Agus Tue 17-Apr-18 19:14:45

ruby that’s lovely news. I’m so happy for you

Many congratulations and a happy future for you both?

bikergran Tue 17-Apr-18 19:00:32

ruby think we all know you as ruby don't we smile

what lovely news, you deserve it all..the love the friendship everything..like op has said..its good to hear some good news.

Lots of planning to keep you occupied..sounds like a real love story "Congratulations" smile

B9exchange Tue 17-Apr-18 18:46:25

apologies for erroneous apostrophe, wish we could edit posts! sad

B9exchange Tue 17-Apr-18 18:45:21

One of my son's got married on the London Eye, they do a good package, take your vows on the way up, be declared married at the top, and drink champagne or orange juice on the way down. They stop the pod for 30 seconds before you get in to rush in, clean it and put flowers in it.

Another wedding was a traditional Indian wedding, and one son said his vows (after registry office do in the morning) in ruined Camber castle.

But I would be tempted by the tropical beach idea, a friend is getting married soon in Greece, she is 60 in December, but certainly doesn't look it, and going for the full white wedding on the beach - and why not?!

hulahoop Tue 17-Apr-18 18:17:37

Congratulations bury pud ??

grandtanteJE65 Tue 17-Apr-18 18:11:35

Congratulations! Lots of good suggestions here for a venue. I think I would go for the shared interests or hobbies idea.

MawBroon Tue 17-Apr-18 17:58:07

Congratulations!
Is Rubyson happy with your “intended”?

newnanny Tue 17-Apr-18 17:52:54

Oh I love a wedding. Congratulations Ruby and I hope you will both be really happy together for many years to come. If you got married in the summer you could go for an outdoor venue.

When I got married for the second time I got married in a castle which was my dream location and I was really surprised that it was not expensive at all. Not a lot of difference in cost of marriage at castle or church. We had reception at medieval banqueting hall and got in our own mobile caterers to cook our own menu preference. It all looked very elaborate and people thought it must have cost the earth but in fact it was very reasonable. I felt like a princess in a fairytale though.

MagicWriter2016 Tue 17-Apr-18 17:48:50

Congratulations first, your story sounds lovely. Me and my now hubby (2nd), decided to go off on our own abroad to get married. There were several 'family' problems going on which made us think we didn't want to invite this, that and the next one. But then there was the problem, if a doesn't get an invite b won't come and so on. Families eh? Then we realised when we were thinking of places to get married in this country, we were thinking things like 'will this place cost too much for x to attend, will the grandkids be happy here, will x like the food on offer' and so on. Somehow, it had gone from being about us, to making sure everyone and their brother was going to be happy first. We then decided no, this is going to be our day and we are going to be at the top of the list for once. So we went and booked a holiday with a wedding package included to Sri Lanka. It turned out to cost less than a 'traditional' type wedding. We had our wedding service videoed as part of the package, we had the most beautiful Buddhist ceremony and a fantastic holiday to boot. I did not feel I was in competition with anyone (one of my sisters always enjoyed upstaging me at every opportunity) and yes, it was totally selfish of us, but I felt, it was about us that day and I would do it all again exactly the same. So, remember, it's going to be your day, don't let anyone make you feel guilty if you want to do x, y or z. Do it your way and enjoy every minute of it.

Babybelle Tue 17-Apr-18 17:03:46

Fab news,many congratulations!

Luckylegs9 Tue 17-Apr-18 15:52:30

Congratulations. If it were me I would choose a Register Office, or a hotel,make it brief and have a get together after with just close family.

libra10 Tue 17-Apr-18 15:42:41

Congratulations! Wishing you all the best for the future.

Truffle1 Tue 17-Apr-18 15:12:56

Congratulations - and jubilations!
I got married last year at xx years old at a register office - they were great! Hope you have a wonderful time with all the planning and preparation, and here's to a long and happy life for you both!

rocketstop Tue 17-Apr-18 14:20:14

Congratulations, how about tying the knot, or afterwards on steam train at North Yorkshire Moors railway, then steam along to Whitby where you could have your photos taken under the whalebones and everyone could have a fish and chip tea..in fasct..can I come ?! sounds fab !

LJP1 Tue 17-Apr-18 13:53:30

Congratulation and best wishes for a happy, carefree marriage!

flowers

shysal Tue 17-Apr-18 13:22:26

Many congratulations to you both! flowers

Seakay Tue 17-Apr-18 13:08:51

Congratulations! I Googled wedding venues Bury Greater Manchester (taking a guess from your name) and all of these options came up www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-venues/bury.htm?page=2
Do you have a shared hobby or interest which might help narrow it down?
Have fun with all the planning and preparations!

Deni1963 Tue 17-Apr-18 12:56:54

❤?❤? congratulations! !!

Stella14 Tue 17-Apr-18 12:23:16

I got married two years ago. We just used the local Registry Office and took our small group out for a meal at a nice restaurant later. My daughter made our wedding cake and we had it there. I still had a lovely wedding dress and we had a lovely day, but saved a small fortune on a more elaborate affair and spent the money on a fabulous month long honeymoon. The other alternative we considered was getting married on a cruise. Congratulations and I hope you have a wonderful day smile

Nitpick48 Tue 17-Apr-18 12:16:04

Sorry got carried away just re-read and you said you wanted a small wedding so nothing too grand. There are small hotels in the Lakes with fewer bedrooms that you can still take over and still have a lovely personal wedding...we checked lots out as ours started small, but we have an extended family and it just grew...

Nitpick48 Tue 17-Apr-18 12:11:25

I got re-married in 2016 at the age of 68! We picked a hotel in the Lake District where our guests could stay overnight and took it over for the day . We had a local florist come in and decorate the entire hotel, a DJ at night, and by sheer coincidence - a Red Arrow flypast just as we went out onto the verandah to get our photos done. 80 friends and family, for the main reception and night do, and we all met up in the morning at breakfast before everyone went in their way. Oh and we had a fantastic guy who was an entertainer/wedding singer/maitre de throughout the reception. It wasn’t cheap but we decided this was the last big party we would have and we wanted everyone to have as much fun as they could. Oh and we surprised everyone by breaking into a very fast jive after a couple of smoochy minutes....not bad for 68!!! Go for it - have the best day/photographer/ videographer you can afford and you will treasure your memories for ever. I still smile when I think about it . Oh and we held it on a Sunday as it was cheaper....

glammanana Tue 17-Apr-18 11:46:31

BP What wonderful news congratulations to you both.
There are some wonderful locations available as have been mentioned by other posters my niece chose a Hotel by the side of Lake Windermere and the surroundings where spectacular.
Let us know when I can buy a new hat. flowers