Gransnet forums

Relationships

No fool like an old fool ?

(29 Posts)
SOF2016 Tue 15-May-18 03:16:18

My DH & I are both sixty six, been married forty six years next month, been together for fifty years, three children & ten grandchildren.
This long journey has had its ups & downs, know doubt like most of you, but for the most part we have I believe been happy, even through some of the down times.
We are reasonably comfortable financial , both of us semi retired.
My hobbies have never been many, or anything exciting, just the usual sewing, painting, reading, & of course my mainstay is family.
DH let go of hobbies in the early years it was all work work work! His job took him pretty much worldwide, at times the children & I would go too.
However these past five or so years, he took an interest in selling at car boot sales, this eventually spilled over into selling at different weekly markets, although he never spent much on stock, his enjoyment was in acquiring things for next to nothing & then selling on, never really making much more than pin money but he was happy. Then one day, September 2016 he arrived home, tired as usual but with a few quid in his pocket & casually announced he had decided to get himself an assistant as he wanted to carry on in this line of work but was started to find physically it was taken its toll.
That sounds like a good idea I said, have you anyone in mind( he had in the past told me of several young lads who would hang around asking the traders for a few hours work with the unloading & loading , his reply was,
yes, actually this young girl named Sam, she has bought a few things off me in the past for her children, she bought a guitar the other day....
Now, before I go any further with this, I will say DH in his younger days was to be blunt a womaniser! Times I knew, times I forgave, times I turned a blind eye...
But he is old now I thought, how naive was I, however this time, it turned into what apparently is known as an ‘emotional affair’, which believe me is far far worse!
He had started ‘working’ with her in the September, by the end of October I knew I clearly had something to worry about, ( she was half our age, married with young children).
Eventually I confronted him, explained how it was making me feel, & that I wanted him to end his association with her, by this time it was January we had been on holiday abroad for two weeks, I deal with the bills & on our return home I looked at the mobile phone statement! They had been texting each other every day several times a day, even when we were at the airport waiting for our flight out & the return flight!
Yes, I did stoop to looking on his phone, the texts in content appeared to be innocent enough, condolences on the loss of his dad... DH telling her he had arrived at the football match, how high up in the stands the seats were & how much his legs were aching from climbing all those stairs... telling her he had arrived at a doctors appointment... her reply ‘ it’s was a good thing I put it in my diary to remind you!....
Times when he was going out for the day to collect things he had bought on eBay & it turned it she went with him... text when you are outside... how far away are you... traffic bad, eta 9.10 .... ok love, but you said you would be here at 9am....
Christmas morning 6.30am, give your children £10 each from me... still in Portugal, sky is blue, sun out, sitting in shorts & t-shirt...

He finally managed to drag himself away after another month of trying to convince me I was being stupid & making a fuss over nothing!
Initially he gave up the car boots & markets but that didn’t last long, & but this time I started to go with him, even though it wasn’t really my cup of tea, I soldiered on, dark winter mornings, rain & cold, got to the point where I couldn’t stand trying to help sell his ‘junk ‘ (as he would call it ) any longer so I started to sell ‘pre loved’ costume jewellery.
Which I have enjoyed & I have had many good days with it..
& of course we were continuing to do something together...
In our teens DH played guitar in a band, this he gave up when we got married, but he has always had a guitar in the house & played it now & then.
I suggested that he tried buying & selling guitars, he liked the idea, & took to it, over time not bothering so much any more with all the other bric a brac, one evening our two oldest grandchild suggest that he go with them to a local bar where they have an open mic once a week, it took him three weeks to pluck up the courage but he did & thoroughly enjoyed it, the grandchildren said ‘you should come too Nan’, but I declined as I knew DH wouldn’t want me to whiteness his ‘performance’ until he became more confident & proficient, so I stayed home... big mistake! It started to take over all of his spare time, he was going further afield to different places, meeting new people, three , four times a week, he was happy, I was not, but I didn’t say or do anything until one night I was really unwell & he had to take me to A&E & I was kept in for a couple of days, when I got home still feeling physically unwell I also realised I was nervous to stay home alone when that same night home from hospital he still went out to an open mic?
So as soon as I felt well enough I started going with him, this happens several times a week, it’s mainly the only times we go out together, but of course we are not really together I am just tagging along,
although to be fare, for the most part I do enjoy the music , watching the other performers & my husband.
This past couple of months he has had a partner, he plays harmonica, he is seventy two, lives alone, sadly lost his wife two years ago, so for sometime now there have been ‘ three of us in this relationship’, as well as several jam nights a week they also have a rehearsal night, this is one thing I don’t go to,
this gets worse, as now in the clique there are several young woman (he calls them girls) one who is actually in her fifty’s, who I like, & we get on, the other two are in their late twenties early thirties ? they won’t speak to me, won’t even look at me, even though I have tried to be friendly towards them!
Yesterday evening DH & I were sitting chatting about this that & the other then he starting telling my he would love to form a big band (jools Holland type) ( if you can’t dream big why dream at all, is his motto), anyway he is telling me the different people that he knows who he would like in this band , of course it would need ‘ girl backing singers ‘ & who’s names were thrown into the hat ?of course Miss E & Miss M!
At this revelation DH saw my eyebrows raise, he is well aware that these two will not speak or acknowledge me & he knows how initially I was upset about this!
However DH is the kind of man that really doesn’t know when it’s best for him to shut up ! Especially after a couple of glasses of wine!
As he went on to say .... when we were at the Friday night jam Miss M told me how much she loves my singing, & she would like to come to our rehearsal nights!
This is where I think my eyebrows, as sparse as they are actually left my face as I then said, so what did you say to that?
His reply, I said yes of course you can that’s fine by me...
Suffice to say this turned into one humdinger of an argument, as I am apparently being stupid by making a fuss about the fact that my husband wants to spend several hours a week in social company of a single woman half his age? given his track record....
Good people of Gransnet please feel free & do be as blunt as needs be, in giving your thoughts & opinions on this situation, those of you who have managed to keep reading that is!

Lyndiloo Tue 15-May-18 04:58:54

Having read your 'novel' grin I'm trying to cover all the points you raised - but I will inevitably miss some!

It sounds as if your man hasn't been a particularly good husband to you, and you imply that he has been unfaithful to you in the past, when he was a younger man. Is he still attractive, do you think? And to younger women? Some older men seem to kid themselves where young women are concerned, imagining that they are 'fancied', when they're not! And from what you say, it seems that he might just be trying to recapture his youth!

But this is about YOU, not him.

You seem to be bending over backwards to be a good wife to him. And, quite frankly, being a bit of a doormat.

Ask yourself, 'Do I still love him?' 'Why am I with him?' 'What do I get out of this relationship?' And, most importantly, 'What does this relationship cost me?' (Emotionally, self-esteem, confidence, etc.)

And be completely honest with yourself. You may be with him because of money, security, familiarity, status. Or even just laziness!

I know that it's really hard to split with someone that you have been with for so long - emotionally and financially. But would you be better living on your own, and starting a new life? You're not too old to find the love and companionship that you deserve elsewhere! (A huge step, I know.)

A smaller step would be to distance yourself from his life - find outside interests of your own, meet new friends, go out and enjoy yourself. (Another hard thing to do - but you can do it, if you set your mind to it! - you might even find that this brings him to his senses - but I wouldn't count on it!)

I wouldn't put up with his behaviour. But then, I wouldn't have put up with, or 'turned a blind eye' to his unfaithfulness in the past. (I think - but none of us knows what we would do, if it hasn't happened to us.)

I wish you all the luck in the world, and hope that you can find your answer.

Parting shot - (and this is one of the most wise things that I've picked up) Would you like this man, if he were a woman - would you choose her for a friend?

OldMeg Tue 15-May-18 05:09:51

Personally I’d kick him into touch. You’re not going to change him. Why wait until that nasty Miss M decides she wants a man in her life and he’s it!

Either that or tell Miss M to sling her hook in no uncertain terms.

NanaNancy Tue 15-May-18 06:19:44

Stop being a bystander, get involved in his life. Make a life choice that you can share. AND never hold anyone to what they might say after a few glasses of wine.
Go to his Friday night jams and bring a supportive friend(s) then propose a activity that might be new or old and beloved that you both do together.
Marriage dies a quick death when you stop doing things together.
Either way you will get to make assessments first hand of the Miss Multiples. Perhaps as he was once a "draw" he feels he still needs their attention to feel wanted and really it could be they just think he is a jolly old man but have no real intentions. You need to do some real surveillance and then you can have a real talk to him. Tell him how these relationships make you feel.
And really, if he cannot be made to respond it may be time to get some counselling.
Don't jump ship when it has taken a life time to build. Try and fill the leaks first.
Marriage is work and you know that - when is the last time you gave him a serious look and said, "I love you?".
Be honest with each other and best of luck.

TwiceAsNice Tue 15-May-18 06:21:01

He's an awful man I know you have stayed for 46 years but just to let you know I stayed for 42 with someone who got worse and worse over the years. I left in 2013 and the last 5 years have been the happiest of my life. It's never too late to get yourself a new life. He doesn't care about you you don't have to care about him

Violetfloss Tue 15-May-18 06:31:31

If your husband was a womanizer back in the day and you've ignored/forgave it then why not this time? The boundry sounds blurred to him.

It's been different women through the years and only solid reoccurence is your DH.
It doesn't matter if it's Miss M, Miss E or Miss A, Miss B and Miss C. He is still the same. It's not the women I'd have a problem with it would be HIM.

BlueBelle Tue 15-May-18 06:33:57

Is this for real ? I m not at all sure... no one can be that daft for forty six years surely it all sounds like the start of a work of fiction

OldMeg Tue 15-May-18 07:19:35

Oh yes they can!

Jane10 Tue 15-May-18 07:25:34

It doesn't actually sound like he's womanising. He just seems to make friends with these women. It's hard for the OP though. She couldn't be trying harder to keep up with him.

NfkDumpling Tue 15-May-18 07:34:04

It could be that he’s kidding himself, flirting and having younger women around him and trying to recapture his younger days when he was still a bit of a lad. And it could be that they just enjoy his company and just see him as a sort of uncle and don’t see anything in it. But that doesn’t really matter. What matters is that he’s betrayed you in the past and your trust in him was shattered some time ago. He’s not going to change. You’re young enough to make a new start. On your own. If that’s what you want. Or accept him as he is. Perhaps it’s a good time to re-assess your options.

MawBroon Tue 15-May-18 07:45:27

Who said it sounded like the plot of a novel?
My feelings too.
If genuine, surely you know him (and yourself) well enough to decide for yourself?

DanniRae Tue 15-May-18 08:05:03

It sounds to me like you are fighting a loosing battle. Let him get on with it and go and find yourself a new life.
Easier said than done, I know but who needs a man like that in their life??

Luckygirl Tue 15-May-18 08:39:14

He is a womaniser - you have always known this and turned a blind eye - why stop now? He is only doing what you have tacitly agreed to for the last 46 years.

sodapop Tue 15-May-18 08:40:20

I think you have supported his various hobbies etc enough now SOF time to make a life of your own and do things you enjoy. Many people have separate activities in retirement, my husband & I do. Let him get on with doing whatever he does and don't give him the attention. If his relationship with his friend turns into something more serious then you have already started making a life for yourself, sometimes it's better to be alone than miserable in a relationship, I found this out and was stronger for it.

Teetime Tue 15-May-18 09:05:50

You did say be blunt - leopards don't change their spots! BUT I also think infidelity is not a necessarily a deal breaker in a relationship if its generally Ok and you still love each other - I can hear some people already shouting at me for that.

yggdrasil Tue 15-May-18 11:57:15

Teetime, not shouting, I agree with you. It is the emotional bond that matters, not the physical one. As long as that emotional bond is with his wife. Given the rest of the story, he isn't going to stop having a 'bit on the side' here or there if he can.

Panache Tue 15-May-18 12:09:22

Please dear lady get a life,stop letting this man,husband or not......... blatantly have "his bits on the side" which in my book denote a non existant happy compatible marriage in the first place.

Wake up,time to smell the roses and not a rat of a husband!

Make a life where you are allowed to have your own choices and find that path which full fills you..........instead of all this bending and catering to fit in with a man surely not worthy of you throughout your time together.

Again I guess I am not alone in my thinking............is this all sheer fiction........if so go and get the story published!

Grannyknot Tue 15-May-18 12:23:20

My only thought on reading this post was Ooh the Daily Wail would love this ...

Be aware SOF2016 that you've given away quiet a lot of recognisable detail and these forums are public, and sometimes material is lifted from Gransnet for wider distribution.

knickas63 Tue 15-May-18 12:50:49

Ref Lyndiloo - What she said!

muffinthemoo Tue 15-May-18 13:21:40

Is it likely that the twentysomething is interested in a married elderly man, or is he kidding himself?

Not fair how much he’s upsetting you either way

Jane10 Tue 15-May-18 13:28:40

The texts were all pretty innocent stuff. If they weren't from women they'd be fine. Take gender out of the picture and you have a set of friends with shared interests.

paddyann Tue 15-May-18 14:57:38

I've always had men friends ,I get on better with men than some women...who can be bitchy .My OH has never had issues with my friendships..a couple of whom are old boyfriends and I see them maybe a few times a year for a lunch and catchup.If you're not comfortable with him having female friends then you must tell him,if my OH disapproved I'd probably cut back contact at least .If its just friendship then why worry?

sunseeker Tue 15-May-18 15:38:04

Are you letting the past colour your thinking about what is happening now?

Your DH is 66, the women you are concerned about are late 20s early 30s. Now I have to say that unless your DH is a George Clooney lookalike or is lavishing money on these women it seems unlikely they are interested in him.

Are you perhaps still seeing your DH as the dashing womaniser he was in his youth whereas in fact he is just an elderly man who has a shared interest in music with two younger women. I assume he is no longer in contact with the young woman who helped him with the car boot sales.

Bridgeit Wed 16-May-18 17:11:08

No one can change another’s behaviour however much we would like to. With that in mind talk to yourself, look in the mirror & ask ,who am I , who do I want to be?
If your answer is,I’m happy to out wait my husband latest fancy then that’s fine , if it’s I want something else for myself then take the bull by the horns and do it. Neither is an easy option, but one is repeating a familiar pattern ( fine if that’s what you want) the other is a bit scary but open to a new way of living & discovering yourself & other people & interest, Be your own best friend, look after yourself ,good luck & best wishes , the saying goes NO company is better than bad company .

notanan2 Wed 16-May-18 17:35:52

whats the point in him being faithful if he's only faithful because hes on a tight leash (or because he's punching above his weight), and not because he wants to be?

Thats wouldnt be enough for me

IMO youre still making it work because you decided to give 2nd/3rd chances all those years ago & you are trying to prove those past decisions right! You dont speak of him fondly. He doesnt treat you kindly unless you keep on his case to do so. Whats to salvage here?