Gransnet forums

Relationships

Pathological liar

(55 Posts)
driverann Sun 17-Jun-18 09:52:02

Son-in-law is a pathological liar. My SIL tells liar after liar, I don’t know if it is a medical condition or not but if one Police car went past him with blue flashing lights he would tell others it was ten police cars. He told me that they can not afford a window cleaner because he is too expensive at £25 “ just to clean the fronts” . We have the same window cleaner we live eight doors away from SIL same style house
Window cleaner cost us £5 to clean the front £10 all the house. He told my daughter that a fencing contractor had told him the cost to repair their back garden fence would be £3000. One week later the contractor telephoned to ask if they wanted the work done, my daughter took the call she told the man he was far too expensive. He replied “£250 is a fair price”. There are numerous other times every day SIL tells blatant liars. I despair of what he will say next. Any ideas on how to deal with this.

Minerva Mon 18-Jun-18 10:53:51

We pay £38 in London to have the windows of our two storey house cleaned. It takes one cleaner no more than 15 minutes. True by the way.

As for your fantasist SIL driverann, if I was in your position I would depend entirely on my DD’s reaction to his lies, whether she is coping and what help she would ask of me.

Jane43 Mon 18-Jun-18 10:54:36

Our window cleaner charges £8 to clean our windows and it has been this price since we moved here 5 years ago. The front has a large lounge window, front door, upstairs two bedrooms and a small window on the landing, one en suite window on one side upstairs and a cloakroom window on the side downstairs, two bedrooms at the upstairs back and a small bathroom window; downstairs back has two kitchen windows and patio doors. We realise he is a treasure and he also painted the outside woodwork for £350, included rubbing down undercoat and top coat - we provided the paint.

SIL sounds as if he needs to be challenged. You haven’t mentioned if you have spoken to your daughter about your concerns or are you afraid to broach it? Somebody needs to have a talk to him about how lies can destroy trust in a marriage. Do your daughter and SIL have children? If so He is a very poor role model for them. Sorry for all the questions but I feel for you and your daughter.

Leah50 Mon 18-Jun-18 11:02:00

Had to smile at this forum subject. My husband of 50 years has never told the truth if he could lie. From the day we married when I found out he was 25, not 21 as he'd said, (the firm's social club even gave him a 21st birthday party) to what he was watching on TV just now....he lies all the time! Me & the kids just had to put up with it, he's a good man apart from his silly secrets & vivid imagination.

Apricity Mon 18-Jun-18 11:06:25

Whatever the finer details of each complex and convoluted lie he is either a first class bullshit artist (to use a good old Aussie expression) or he has a serious psychological condition and may well be a pathological liar or perhaps there are signs of manic overstatement? Possible signs of Bipolar Disorder? Are the lies just grandiose overstatements or are there other more hurtful or damaging lies?

How your daughter copes with this is up to her. How you cope as a parent in law is incredibly difficult. You see the issues but it is your daughters life. Have you discussed this with your daughter? How is she managing? Are there children involved? What is the impact on them? There are no easy answers. I would suggest that your daughter needs to seek professional help and assessment if her husband will agree.

quizqueen Mon 18-Jun-18 11:10:28

My daughter had a boyfriend like this. She suspected he was seeing someone else and he cried and begged her to trust him.. Even when she found out he had got the other girl pregnant, he still denied cheating on her!

I would suggest your daughter gets written quotes for everything, looks at his mileage etc. before he leaves the house to get chips and that he is called out for being a liar every single time he is found out. Personally, I couldn't be with someone I didn't trust whole heartedly and, if he was a family member, I would have as little contact with him as possible..

icanhandthemback Mon 18-Jun-18 11:15:43

I just could not live with this. To me, any relationship is built upon trust and if I cannot trust what I am told, there really is no point in trying to have a relationship with that person. I always think that if you can lie so easily and blatantly about the small things, it is but a tiny step to lie about the big things. I also think they are showing they think you are an idiot who will believe anything. However, I have close family who "mis-remember" and "embellish" which is the kindest way I can put it and it seems to me that they really believe what they are saying even if you have photographic evidence to the contrary. I find it very strange. If they weren't family I'd have been long gone!
Your DD must have noticed your SIL's behaviour and decided to live with it as you haven't said she is very concerned. I hope they haven't got children who are seeing their role model teaching them how to lie with such ease.

nannypiano Mon 18-Jun-18 11:16:06

My sympathies go to your daughter as I lived for 18 years with a similar person. At the worst it's narcissism, but most certainly a serious personality disorder. I don't believe there is a cure and if confronted, he will probably leave as fast as his legs will carry him. He will find another vulnerable person first who he can hoodwink for a while. Unfortunately these people quickly recognise potential vulnerable people. I can only assume your DD is a lovely kind person who doesn't think badly of people. But encourage her to get rid and have no further contact with him for her own sanity.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 18-Jun-18 11:16:26

Reading all the replies it is quite obvious that some people find this kind of thing harmless - just a kind of one-up-manship or an active imagination. Others find it worrying.

I would too, but before you do anything, do please try to find out whether it bothers your daughter or not, because anything you say to your SIL could cause a rift between you and your daughter.

I would challenge some of his lies - the window cleaner would have been a brilliant chance as you use the same one and could quite nicely have said that you didn't understand the price quote and then said what you pay.

If it is only this kind of money issue he lies about, it may just be a kind of bragging, but the fish-and-chips that took so long to find, and the not answering the phone, suggests to me that he nipped off for a pint or two, or into the bookies - that he is doing something he doesn't want to tell his wife!

I have met this kind of behaviour in alcoholics and in ex-soldiers suffering from PSD, so I am definitely worried on your behalf.

Could you possible just ask your daughter something along the lines of "What should I do when SIL tells tall stories? Ignore them or take him up on them?" Try to put the emphasis on your needing your DD's advice on tackling this rather than criticising SIL.

I hope I am worrying needlessly on your behalf because of my own experience. Do let us know how you get on.

micmc47 Mon 18-Jun-18 11:25:00

Someone with that particular personality is most unlikely to change. We had an ex son-in-law who was a pathological liar, and I believe part of him actually believed the fantasies he was creating around himself. Thankfully, our daughter is now free of him, as such routine deceipt has no place in a healthy marriage. His lies extended to financial matters, and eventually to relationships with other women. Your daughter should consider her future very carefully, as her Walter Mitty husband will always lie and fantasise, and does she really want to live with that for the remainder of her life?

Rosina Mon 18-Jun-18 11:44:09

This sounds like some kind of illness; ironically someone we knew lied about everything and almost drove us mad as they were silly, out of all proportion things that sound like this person. We did hear that there was a diagnosis of narcissistic personality disorder at some point which explained a lot. Can your DD not persuade SiL to at least talk to someone about this? He is making himself look foolish and untrustworthy and it must be impacting on their social life and his work.

Gran7 Mon 18-Jun-18 11:48:34

I was married to a pathological liar. He tells people he was in the army -fantasy, he was divorced with a son, - went out with a girl who had a baby for 2 weeks. Also said his parents were dead! Turns out they are both alive, I’ve met them. He’s on Twitter with the biography of, wait for it, a paramedic with a HGV Class 1 licence, ex army, served in NI were he was shot. Turned out he had a bleed on the brain and had surgery which left an indent in his head, divorced, no kids no pets. He had numerous affairs, which he found online, and I finally saw the light and asked him to leave. Your son-in-law is mild compared to my ex. Now that’s a compulsive liar. Just before I asked him to leave I showed his mother his lies and she was gobsmacked, she even said she would talk to him and get him help. I told her he was beyond that and it was over. Needless to say I take everything said to me now with a pinch of salt.

Applegran Mon 18-Jun-18 12:00:26

I have known a pathalogical liar and it is quite disturbing to be around someone like that. I think there is a sense in which they don't know the difference between truth and lies - and I remember once reading that the brains of compulsive liars are different from the rest of ours. This may be no help! Or it may help you to navigate this difficult situation. Talking to your DD, without being judgemental, but just to share your observations about what has happened with her, may be a great relief to her. I guess she may be held back through fear of judgements and anger, so an open truthful loving approach may help.

Maryaaron Mon 18-Jun-18 12:11:58

You have to challenge, his behaviour.

Seakay Mon 18-Jun-18 12:19:31

you seem to be assuming it is a medical condition of some sort (pathological - involving or caused by a physical or mental disease.) so I think you and your daughter should speak to him together in a non-accusatory way, as a matter of interest and concern for his health, and see if he wants to change or is even aware of what he is doing. there are treatments - CBT can be effective - but the sufferer has to be aware and want to change. addiction.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Pathological_Liar_Treatment

GabriellaG Mon 18-Jun-18 12:26:38

Next time he does it, ask him outright, in front of your daughter.
Say ' Why do you tell so many lies about silly things we know aren't true?'
If he challenges you to check his claims, cite the cost of the window cleaner who does both your houses. Cite the fence repair costs, cite everything that you know to be a lie.
Tell him he's acting like a kid and needs to grow up and get help.
I'd simply lay down hard facts and tell him how laughable it is that an adult married man feels the need to lie and find out yourself whether the chip shop actually ran out of chips.
Does he have a hidden mistress and that's why he 'disappeared' for 2 1/2hrs? Maybe he's reluctant to spend money on repairs and window cleaning as otherwise he would have nothing to spend on the g/f.
Frankly, I've no time for liars.

sodapop Mon 18-Jun-18 12:35:56

I am so in awe of the diagnostic abilities of of some GN posters, even without any contact with the person concerned.

It is concerning that your son in law finds it necessary to embellish things in this way, I think your daughter needs to talk to him about this, it may escalate into more serious areas. For the time being I would leave her to deal with it unless you are affected directly in some way.

Fflaurie Mon 18-Jun-18 12:40:41

We've got one of those too. Walter Mitty/Pathological Liar, what he hasn't done is not worth mentioning, in his mind!!! Told us he had been in the army, seconded to an American war ship to teach the American Sailors how to dive, worked in North Korean waters blowing up warships. He was never in the army. How he hired a helicopter to fly over central park in New York, but it never arrived, how the GP refused to sign his insurance form when he cancelled their honeymoon, (he didnt have insurance that's the crux of it) and I could go on.... don't trust one word that comes out his mouth. He is crass and very rude, but has a superiority complex, no one can do things as well as he can. I wish DD would kick him into touch.

wilygran Mon 18-Jun-18 12:46:55

It depends whether it's just habitual exaggeration to boost himself (even although it's a pretty pointless thing to do) or whether it's lying purposely in order to deceive or gain some financial advantage. I've a relative who exaggerates all sorts of basic harmless things "There are hundreds more cars using this road than when we first came here!" etc etc. We just let him get in with it & pay no attention, because otherwise he's a good man, kind to his family and honest with important financial matters. He'd help anyone out in an emergency and never cheat anybody. If you tax him about what he's said he seems to genuinely believe what he's saying. I'm a great believer in "By their deeds shall you know them" and if he treats your daughter well and she's happy with him, just leave them to it.

Pat609 Mon 18-Jun-18 13:33:54

To use an old fashioned word I would say he is a romancer, a far kinder word. To my mind a liar is someone tho uses lies for their own benefit or to cover things up, again for the their own benefit. There must be some reason for these exaggerations which probably goes back to childhood, perhaps to gain attention. There's far worse things for a SIL to be........... A wife beater? Just take what he says with a pinch of salt and don't be so condemning.

Bbbface Mon 18-Jun-18 13:35:59

The examples you goe are all money related

Could be perhaps have a debt problem / gambling problem?

Purplepoppies Mon 18-Jun-18 14:08:42

If he pulled the bullshit in front of me I'd call him out.
It would drive me insane.
I would encourage your daughter to speak to him about this. Are there children involved? Kids are easily influenced, if it's ok for an adult to tell lies / embellish stories then children will be copying!!!

Juggernaut Mon 18-Jun-18 14:10:38

Our window cleaner charges £7-00, that's for front and back doors, 8ft wide French window, and ten windows, three of which are 9ft by 8ft. That's Wirral/Cheshire border!

I can't bear liars, my FiL has probably never told the truth in his life, so I no longer have anything to do with him.
His lies are all designed to make him look good, but he makes such ridiculous claims, everyone knows he's lying. Examples include him telling people he bought our house for us, bought our DS's house for him, paid DS's University fees, buys a new car for DH, DS, and DDiL every six months (not for me, please note), pays for all our holidays, and gives each of us £1000 for each birthday/Xmas/Anniversary!
None of it's true!

nananina Mon 18-Jun-18 14:15:33

I think your SIL has a personality disorder which is now defined as a mental illness, although there is little in the way of treatment. A good therapist might be able to uncover the root of these lies buthe's notgoing to go to a therapist is he. I don't think challenging him is going to help because he will just put another lie on top and will build a tower of lies. There will be a reason for his lies but he's not going to be open about it or may not make the links between some past trauma or troubled childhood and his need to lie. It could be that he doesn't like himself and tries to make himself more interesting. A lot of posters have asked about how your daughter copes.

dragonfly46 Mon 18-Jun-18 14:42:13

Just to add to the mix. My window cleaner charges £9 for detached 5 bed house with 30 odd windows!! We are in the East Midlands!

luzdoh Mon 18-Jun-18 15:28:39

driverann Does he do other things? Is he manipulative? Does he like to be the centre of attention? Is he quick to anger? Does he pay his share of the bill or take his turn with the washing up for example? Is he reliable, for example, if he says he will pick your daughter up, does he turn up on time?
Unless he has suddenly recently had a blow to the head or a brain disease, which I think you would know, then you must accept that your daughter has been lied to from the first time they met. She must have found it very odd. Did she not say anything before? Do his lies ever involve fantasies about himself such as having done amazing things or met famous people? How has your daughter managed to sustain a relationship with him and run a home with him?
For me, truth is paramount in a relationship. I don't mean that "little white lies," about "no, your bum looks very nice in that" (unless it is so bad, it's best you know your bum looks disastrous and then the white lie can gloss over how bad...) and to keep a birthday treat secret. I mean the lies of the very kind of thing illustrated here. If a partner is automatically lying about every day matters, that would be a very serious problem for me.
I would challenge him on his lies. However, do not expect him to be easy in response. Some liars believe their lies, some get angry.
There are too many underlying causes for compulsive lying to go into here. I am very concerned about the reasons for your SIL telling these pointless lies. I would make sure your daughter knows you are always there to support her, and are not intruding, are always discreet but that if she needs you, you are right there. Her husband does not sound like a healthy, reliable adult with whom to share one's life.
I am sorry to say this but I can't think of a gentler way to put it. I wish you and your daughter the very best of luck.