Gransnet forums

Relationships

Relationships

(23 Posts)
Lacrimosa Sat 07-Jul-18 20:54:13

Husband of 50 years has left me. What do I do?

paddyann Sat 07-Jul-18 21:01:02

Talk to him and find out whats going on? Is it a mid life crisis thing or has it been coming for a while .Is it savageable ...would you want him back? I'm so sorry you have to deal with this I'd be devastated if it was me .For practical help perhaps see a lawyer and contact Citizens advice .Good luck .

M0nica Sat 07-Jul-18 21:18:53

Is it a sign of a developing mental illness? Dementia can take many forms and isn't always the classic lost memory and confusion variety.

The first thing to do is first to talk to your children, if you have any, or possibly a close friend and then consult a solicitor.

Smileless2012 Sat 07-Jul-18 21:22:58

I've no advice I'm afraid and like paddyann I'd be devastated. 50 years is a long time to be married and then to walk away.

I'm so sorryflowers.

Namsnanny Sat 07-Jul-18 21:48:26

Talk to a friend, or post what you feel on here.

You may feel in shock so any decisions will be out the window for now.

Do you have anyone who can stay? If not please keep posting. Don't ruminate or suffer in silence.

I'm so sorry I don't have a better solution.

flowers

sodapop Sat 07-Jul-18 21:50:49

I'm so sorry Lacrimosa you must be devastated. You need advice and support, talk to your family and do look at your financial situation if there is no chance of him returning,
We have no details so can't offer advice about mediation etc.

sparkly1000 Sat 07-Jul-18 22:36:06

Your first posting on here. Would you care to expand on your question?

crazyH Sun 08-Jul-18 00:44:52

As long as he hasn't left you for another woman, there is still hope that he will come. Sometimes they do com e back after their fling...but frankly I wouldn't have him back after a fling.

Luckylegs9 Sun 08-Jul-18 06:43:50

So sorry Lacrimosa? Don't know the history behind him leaving. However, come do come on here and try to get out and about.

Wiglet Wed 18-Jul-18 10:55:52

Met lovely man year ago, has recently proposed & I have accepted. He now shares my one bedroom bungalow, it is council owned. He owns a bungalow which was left to him by his mother, I still work at 64 & it is too far for my job. It feels very much like his mums , the plan is to sell it & look for something to buy together. Recently I have become possessive about my bungalow & say things like don’t put that there I’ve always had it there etc, we plan to get married next sep. We have now had another fall out over something silly & he returned to his bungalow , we are meeting for a talk, have others felt this intrusion in there home even though I love him & miss him as soon as he is gone. We had both been alone for ten years before we met. Be glad of some opinions, feel silly & childish it just feels huge commitment & scary ?

Squiffy Wed 18-Jul-18 11:30:13

Not quite an 'intrusion' Wiglet, but I became self-aware of being quite precious about things. Himself never seemed to notice and never complained! I gave myself a talking to and I'm much more laissez faire these days!

Nonnie Wed 18-Jul-18 12:24:00

Lacrimosa please do what you can to protect all your assets. You may not think it is vital but you don't want to add to your problems by fining he has taken everything.

Perhaps you could tell us a bit more and maybe there will be someone on here who can offer really useful advice.

Wiglet to save confusion if might be helpful if you start your own thread otherwise someone advising one of you may appear to be advising the other. Not everyone reads all posts.

hillwalker70 Wed 18-Jul-18 15:30:46

Shout for joy and have a bloody good party.

BlueBelle Wed 18-Jul-18 16:03:57

Wiglet you do need to start your own thread as it s very confusing to have two problems going on at the same time and also out of respect of Lacrimosa
Lacrimosa that’s quite a brief little sentence for such a big subject I think before anyone gives any more advice there needs to be a bit more meat on the bone whilst obviously giving nothing too personal away

sodapop Wed 18-Jul-18 17:30:23

No more information from Lacrimosa ? I hope she is ok.

MissAdventure Wed 18-Jul-18 17:38:32

grin hillwalker

Eglantine21 Wed 18-Jul-18 19:22:01

What does hillwalker mean, Misadventure?

MissAdventure Wed 18-Jul-18 19:25:29

Well, I think she was answering the original question.
What to do if ones husband left. blush
It made me laugh..

MissAdventure Wed 18-Jul-18 19:26:56

Oh hang on.. there is a poster called hillwalker isn't there?
I haven't made it up in my own mind, I hope.

Cabbie21 Wed 18-Jul-18 19:28:52

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/family/ending-a-relationship/sorting-out-money-when-you-separate/financial-support-when-you-separate/

Lots of useful information here and you will find links to other related topics. I hope you can find something of use.
May I suggest if you have not already got your own sole bank account that you open one. Maybe check your joint account and make sure he has not started moving money out.
Has he taken his clothes, his possessions? Did he say anything before he left? We can try to help if you ask us some specific questions.
Meanwhile, make sure you have family or friends to lean on at this difficult time.

Eglantine21 Wed 18-Jul-18 19:42:43

Oh I see, sorry, I thought it was, well Im not quite sure what I thought, except maybe I shouldn’t have had that second glass of wine......

MissAdventure Wed 18-Jul-18 19:53:53

smile
Sounds as if its hit the spot just right!

glammanana Wed 18-Jul-18 20:41:31

Can I have some of what every body else is drinking please grin wine