Gransnet forums

Relationships

Separation or divorce pre-planning?

(12 Posts)
linda12345678 Tue 10-Jul-18 10:26:02

Our marriage is already on the stage that is considered to be in at stake. And the both of us just kept on complaining, it might last longer than I expected. Do I need to call for the divorce lawyers that will help me throughout the process too? or just accomplish the separation?

stella1949 Tue 10-Jul-18 12:27:04

I've never heard of "divorce pre planning", most people just go ahead and separate and then divorce. There is no reason why "it might last longer than expected" unless you drag it out with lawyers .

You don't necessarily need a lawyer to get divorced. In fact they can end up costing you a fortune. There are many options for "do it yourself divorce kits" - I used one of these when I divorced and it was quick and easy. If the two of you are in agreement about the divorce there shouldn't be too many problems. Just look up DIY Divorce and go from there. Best wishes to you.

Liz46 Tue 10-Jul-18 12:29:35

I did a DIY divorce too. It's better to both come to an agreement about splitting things etc. rather than pay silly money to lawyers.

FlexibleFriend Tue 10-Jul-18 13:28:47

If you can divorce amicably using one of the online companies then do so. Not only will you save yourself trouble and heartache but more importantly an absolute fortune. Divorce solicitors only care about the money, they have no interest in how you will pay their fees just that you will pay and 10's of thousands is not unusual. Diy all the way is my advice and keep it as friendly as possible.

Teetime Tue 10-Jul-18 13:37:35

DH did a DIY divorce 40 years ago cost £15.

crazyH Tue 10-Jul-18 17:46:53

FlexibleFrien, you're right.....18 years ago, my ex husband had to pay almost £25000- my costs were about £5000...- he was penalised because he kept lying about his finances. Besides, I had never worked, had no money of my own. My costs came out of my settlement.
Lesson......never try to hide your money, never lie.....the truth will out

ninathenana Tue 10-Jul-18 17:56:29

Does anyone know if after a seperation of 5yrs whether someone is entitled to a share of the partners current assets bareing in mind there were none at the time of seperation ?

stella1949 Tue 10-Jul-18 18:32:46

ninathenana yes they can.

Oopsadaisy53 Tue 10-Jul-18 19:09:53

stella surely it depends on the terms of the (legal,hopefully) separation?

crazyH Tue 10-Jul-18 23:25:34

I agree with Stella....provided there was no full and final settlement.

ninathenana Wed 11-Jul-18 00:04:44

Not a legal separation.

BlueBelle Wed 11-Jul-18 06:33:55

Our marriage is already on the stage that is considered to be in at stake
What on earth does this mean it’s sounds like gobblygook to me !
How does anyone here know what you should do Linda? no one knows anything about your marriage your separation or your future divorce
Is this a wind up ?