Gransnet forums

Relationships

Feeling used, feeling guilty

(89 Posts)
crazyH Thu 19-Jul-18 22:55:50

I have such mixed emotions. I feel I am being used by my daughter. She is divorced, has 2 teenage children, 15 and 16, who I absolutely adore. They are a very big part of my life. However, since the divorce, I find that my daughter is taking advantage of me. She works away a lot and for some reason, she leaves them with me for days on end. For whatever reason, recently, she hasn't asked her husband or his parents to have them....it's always me. I think she had some disagreement with them. I am 74, on my own, not in the best of health, whereas her husband's parents are, touch wood, quite healthy, although slightly older than me. Her own father (my ex) doesn't do a thing for them. I don't think he has had them stay over for even one night.
Anyway, today she texted me to see if I will have them this Sunday night. I know she's going away for a week to France and I'm sure she will ask me to have the kids.
Having anticipated that, I texted a very fair but firm text, suggesting that her ex husband does some parenting as well, and not to expect me to do all of it.
Now, I feel guilty.....I don't want the kids to think I don't want them here ( she may have to tell them about my text). I feel awful and yet, I have to think about myself as well. Just wanted to open up to you all.... don't know what you think about it.

crazyH Mon 23-Jul-18 20:23:21

Update:...my daughter has just picked my granddaughter up....Grandson went yesterday to Scotland for the Golf open with his father and is back at home. Granddaughter had a few hours today with her other grandma, had lunch with her.
The long French Trip is looming. My daughter has left it to me to sort out with her ex mother inlaw. I really don't know what's going on and I don't want to know. They are good grandparents who adore the kids. Anyway, between us, the kids should be fine. My problem is, what parenting is their Dad doing.
Anyway, as someone mentioned here, I am not going to say anything , lest I lose them altogether....whether I am being used or not.
Also, I think she has a boyfriend. Poor girl, she has been hurt so much ( history repeating itself...her father did the same to me)
Sorry for rambling....must be the heat ?

Madgran77 Tue 24-Jul-18 14:54:26

Wise decision Crazy H re treading carefully! Maybe dad is doing what he feels he can manage (Golf!) ...its not necessarily a fair balance but that really is between them. If your daughter is happy for you to make arrangements with the other grandparents (a bit surprising leaving I to you?) but at least it means that you can mutually take some control over sharing the load with them , helping your problem of struggling with to much childcare. I hope you and your daughter can discuss over time. flowers

crazyH Tue 24-Jul-18 19:09:08

Thanks all...you're right MargaretX, the children like to stay here because I am not as strict as the other grandparents. Actually, I take the easy option.
My problem is how to say "No" especially to the grandkids, when they choose to stay here, they say "firstchoice our own house, second Nan's (that's me), joint third Gran's and Dad's. How sad that due to circumstances, they have to keep moving from one house to another. I wish I could go and stay there when my daughter is away, but I like my own bed... and as I said earlier, my health is not 100%.
Thanks for the flowers Madgran......we really shouldn't love so much...

Milly12 Sat 28-Jul-18 22:05:39

I have a much loved jack Russell dog who has shared my life for 16 years. Until fairly recently her health has been very good but now cataracts have caused her to lose her sight- her hearing is not good either. She still loves her food and loves cuddles but is reluctant to go on walks and is clearly distressed by lack of vision. I worry that her quality of life has diminished but the vet says she is very healthy for a dog her age. Any advice?

OldMeg Sat 28-Jul-18 23:04:37

When my old, deaf dog went blind I put a tiny spot of lavender oil on doorways to help her find her way around. I also (promise not to laugh) bought a dog buggy for her. I used to push her to the same spot every day in the park, and let her get out and have a sniff around. It was all about the smells.

Oh and I bought a harness so she could feel more connected to me on these sensory ambles. Sixteen is a good age. Well done on keeping her so healthy,

NfkDumpling Sun 29-Jul-18 05:54:38

Perhaps the cataracts can be removed? She may be old but if her health and heart are good she should stand an operation. Is she insured?

(There’s a lady near us who has a little dog which rides very happily in a broad based shopping trolley.)

ContraryMary88 Sun 29-Jul-18 06:10:37

milly12 what’s this got to do with the OP?
Might be best to start a new thread

NfkDumpling Sun 29-Jul-18 06:14:50

Perhaps Admin could advise Milly how to do it. I wish there was a way to pick up errant posts and re-thread them!

ContraryMary88 Sun 29-Jul-18 06:16:21

crazyh I think it’s lovely that your GCs still want to come and stay with you, they obviously love you to bits.

My neighbours health is now pretty bad. Her GGS has now started working locally and he has moved in with her, he is paying rent and he will be there if she ever needs help (which she often does) they have always been very close, he also preferred to stay with her rather than his other Grandparents.
She loves having him there and has started baking and cooking again, it’s given her a new lease of life.
You never know, you could end up with a lodger to help you out too!

Willow500 Sun 29-Jul-18 06:41:21

When my Gds were that age they loved to come and stay for a couple of days during the holidays and we loved to have them but we were never asked for childcare - they live 2+ hours away and although their dad travelled abroad a lot and mum works part time they seemed to manage between themselves. Both girls are very sensible and were ok on their own although I'm sure they wouldn't have been left alone for more than a day.

I think it was quite right for you to say you are finding it harder to look after them due to age and health - you have obviously been their favourite nan all this time so I doubt this would change with a refusal. It sounds like the original situation may have been resolved now but perhaps having a phone call in the future may be better than texting.

crazyH Sun 29-Jul-18 07:44:40

Haha....I wondered too what Milly's post was doing in this thread. I think a new thread about loved pets would be more appropriate.
Back to the 2 teenageage GCs. We went to their little cousin's 3rd bday party yesterday . They were the only teenagers there and were pretty bored, I think. On the whole, I feel they can't wait to be back in their own house, their own environment, esp my GD. GS played golf almost daily so that was ok. Today they are going to their other GPs house and will stay till my daughter gets back.
She hasn't rung or texted them....just once, to me. Out of sight, out of mind, that's my daughter. Haha

crazyH Sun 29-Jul-18 07:47:45

ContraryMary.....unfortunately, my GC are lazy little so and sos ......they will do things for me, if asked, but otherwise are happy to spend all day and night on their phones. ?

mcem Sun 29-Jul-18 10:24:47

My GD (18) is currently living with me, having had a major disagreement with her mother (my DD).
It's working well, as long as we both remember to keep her bedroom door closed!
When the room is neat n tidy she invites me in to see it!
She's pretty good at helping around the house, shopping and cooking so no complaints there.
The hardest part is acting as mediator between the 2 of them and I have declared that I will no longer pass on messages and bits of information!
She is looking for a flat but we feel she's a bit young.