Gransnet forums

Relationships

Do you still cook for visiting grown up kids?

(51 Posts)
hapgran Wed 01-Aug-18 18:07:34

We have 4 children in their 30s/40s and 8 gc. They all live a distance away and sometimes choose to stay with us all at the same time. I am not a good cook and don't enjoy it so our habit is for each couple to choose a night to cook. Sometimes, though, I feel I should be an earth mother type who cooks lots of meals in advance to produce at the drop of a hat! What do you do?

merlotgran Wed 01-Aug-18 18:11:03

I love cooking and would be happy to do it all but I think the idea of each couple choosing a night to cook is an excellent one.

It's what we do if we go on a self catering holiday with the family.

Floradora9 Wed 01-Aug-18 18:14:50

I would never expect them to do the cooking even though I do it for them often in thier house.

kittylester Wed 01-Aug-18 18:21:24

Yes I do! Like merlot, I love to cook and am currently planning a ten day stay by DD2 and her daughters with her Dh turning up for the last 3!

Lunch is always down to individuals though.

I batch cook at every opportunity so I have chilis, curries, casseroles and pasta sauces in varying sizes stashed away.

Chewbacca Wed 01-Aug-18 18:22:07

I cook for when adult DS and his family come to me because, as DIL happily admits, she's "pants at cooking" and I love having the excuse to do all the bells and whistles of a lovely meal that busy working families don't often have time to do. In addition, I cook a meal every week and send it to their house for them to have there. It gives them a day a week when they don't have to think "what are we having for tea tonight?" Wish someone had done that for me!

sparkly1000 Wed 01-Aug-18 18:34:19

Cooking for 14, albeit 8 are grandchildren is quite a big feat and as a confident cook myself, I would not relish that task. You are not an earth mother you are mum and granny offering hospitality for your family.
Merlotgran's suggestion is good and it has worked for us too, but 14 is a lot to cater for.
How about pre-planning menus and allotting tasks, ie. One to peel potatoes, one to prepare other veg, someone in charge of meat/fish and another for a sweet dish?

glammanana Wed 01-Aug-18 18:40:48

I love to cook for my family when they visit and really go over the top making sure I give them all their favourites from when they lived at home,when we get together at xmas I insist on me doing the cooking for the day,I just love to see my big strapping boys and grandchildren eating around the table enjoying their food it happens so seldom so I insist I make the best of it.

MissAdventure Wed 01-Aug-18 18:44:49

I've just cooked egg and chips for my big grandson.
That's about as good as it gets, I'm afraid

Chewbacca Wed 01-Aug-18 18:48:40

Nowt wrong with egg and chips MissA. That's my favouritist meal in the whole world!

crazyH Wed 01-Aug-18 18:49:31

I have always cooked for the whole family and loved doing it, but not so often these days....trying to get them altogether is a real pain....my health is not so good either, these days... most of our family get togethers are in the AC houses... They either cook or have the food delivered. These days you can even order a Sunday roast to be delivered 😂

MissAdventure Wed 01-Aug-18 18:52:18

It had an optional 'side dish' of baked beans, chewy.
I'm posh like that. smile

Chewbacca Wed 01-Aug-18 18:57:03

Beans with egg and chips is food of the Gods. Never a time that egg and chips isn't enjoyed.

Liz46 Wed 01-Aug-18 19:02:40

We looked after my OH's GC for a few days. I was amazed when their mother came to pick them up as the first thing they said to her was 'nannyLiz made chips OUT OF POTATOES'.

merlotgran Wed 01-Aug-18 19:02:59

Ham, egg, chips and beans. It gets better and better. grin

SueDonim Wed 01-Aug-18 19:03:46

Yes, mostly I do but they're pretty good at giving me a helping hand or taking over cooking duties. My older Dd is an excellent cook! We also have religious food requirements so that has to be taken into account, too.

It's rare that all four are home at the same time, or even three with GC, so tbh, it doesn't happen that often. I wouldn't be prepared to do it without help, though.

varian Wed 01-Aug-18 19:04:05

I love cooking so it is a pleasure for me to cook for family and friends, even although they range from carnivores to vegans with various allergies thrown in.

If you don't like cooking, either ask them to bring or cook various things or eat out or get a takeaway. If you have never liked cooking your family will know that and will not expect anything else.

SueDonim Wed 01-Aug-18 19:04:15

And now I want egg and chips. grin

crazyH Wed 01-Aug-18 19:04:38

And tinned tomatos

MissAdventure Wed 01-Aug-18 19:07:46

Oh, now I haven't had tinned tomatoes with my egg and chips for years, but I do really like them.
Soggy tomatoey chips. Lovely!

SueDonim Wed 01-Aug-18 19:11:50

Ooh no to tinned toms and chips. Yes to tinned toms on toast, though!

GrannyGravy13 Wed 01-Aug-18 19:13:26

Ham, Egg, Chips with homemade pickled onions and chutney me of our family favourites.

When we get invaded by AC, DIL and Teenage GC, I have normally got freezer full of Lasagne, chilli, and curry. They cook for us one evening (buying all ingredients) As they stay for 1 or 2 weeks, also have a takeaway and we go out 1 evening.

Our AC and Grandchildren who live locally tend to turn up when their sibling is here, it's been known for them to kick Husband off BBQ and me out of kitchen, I do not complain just enjoy having my family around me.

MissAdventure Wed 01-Aug-18 19:13:42

Tinned tomatoes on toast were my 'pica'? when I was pregnant.
I have no idea where I got that word from, or if it even is one!

MissAdventure Wed 01-Aug-18 19:14:50

I'm actually a big fan of ham, egg chips and peas.
With Branston pickle on the peas.

sodapop Wed 01-Aug-18 19:47:34

I think pica is an eating disorder, people eat things that are not food items like coal or soil.
MissAdventure.
I hate cooking as well, fortunately my husband cooks. We have just had family here for a week and he cooked for them when we didn't go out.
Nothing beats egg & chips when the fancy takes you.

Washerwoman Wed 01-Aug-18 19:49:50

I have always liked to cook from scratch lasagne, chicken pie and tasty casseroles etc in large amounts to feed the family like I did when they all lived at home.I've always made cakes, and fruit crumbles as a pudding has been a family favourite.Add to that the marathon that is Xmas dinner.In the summer big barbecues. But as the numbers increase,with two extra hungry partner's of DDs, plus grandchild my heart increasing sinks at the work involved.And now I'm semi retired so the expense of it all is a consideration.I have hinted that in future catering will be simplified,and when they come to stay we've found a great place for brunch which they quite often pay for, and that fills us all up for hours.