Gransnet forums

Relationships

Ex has moved to new home town

(31 Posts)
Magrithea Wed 15-Aug-18 10:25:06

I had a call from my oldest friend last night (we have known each other for 50+ years!). I could tell from her voice that something was wrong and when she told me I was horrified on her behalf.

She and new husband moved to a large village last year and are very happy. At an event last night, as she was handing round canapes, she came face to face with her ex and his new wife! It turns out they have recently moved to the same place - coincidence or......

My advice (the same as her DH) was to ignore him and not to let him upset her but what would others do?

Telly Sun 19-Aug-18 16:32:25

Granarchist - That must be really awful, even if she is not actually scared. I would certainly report any instances of harassment to the police, they do take things more seriously now. But I would guess that the fact he is just 'there' is the real issue.

MawBroon Sun 19-Aug-18 16:34:22

How did the accidental canapé handing out meeting go ? You don’t say if he acknowledge her or not ?
Maybe crudités and Roundup dip next time?

sodapop Sun 19-Aug-18 17:08:55

Maw shock

M0nica Mon 20-Aug-18 17:01:05

While I can understand how distressing it is for her, as her ex was emotionally abusive, but she is not on her own in dealing with him now. She is remarried to, I presume, a much nicer man, whom she will have told about the problems of her first marriage and who will be only too aware of the effect on her of finding her ex living in the same village.

With his support I think she should try to face her ex down and show him that he has no more power over her and try and organise her interests and activities so that as much as possible they do not meet and if they do, her new DH is with her.

Squiffy Mon 20-Aug-18 17:54:17

With his support I think she should try to face her ex down and show him that he has no more power over her

That would only work if he acknowledged that what he did, ie moving to the same village, plus his previous behaviour, was an issue. Some never do.