Gransnet forums

Relationships

Has your husband ever had an affair and how would you react

(95 Posts)
Bluegal Mon 20-Aug-18 20:02:46

IF he was still in touch with his affair partner?

BTW this is a genuine question and not part of any survey

hopeful1 Tue 21-Aug-18 09:48:21

I don't think a relationship is worth it if one strays, speaking from experience. We battled on for many years after an affair but in retrospect I feel we should have parted for both our sakes. Every time we argued the same old bitterness reappeared, it was torture. Keeping in touch with the third party just rubs it in more. If he is communicating with another, you have a massive problem. Get rid for your own sanity.

Juggernaut Tue 21-Aug-18 09:52:57

He'd be out of the door immediately!
I don't understand why some women 'fight' to keep an unfaithful husband, if mine didn't want me, why the hell would I want him in my life? I'm worth more!

grandMattie Tue 21-Aug-18 10:06:01

What would you do Rufus if your wife had an affair??? Would you have her back? Would you let her go? Would you try and fix things?
Interesting discussion.

harrigran Tue 21-Aug-18 10:07:06

If he was in touch with an affair partner I would not know about it, the minute DH had an affair he would be history. I don't do forgiveness.

Kim19 Tue 21-Aug-18 10:07:43

Menopaws has it right for me. Happily I did not have the experience or anything close. Seems to me without trust the very foundation of the relationship is wrecked. I take my hat off to those who've 'recovered' but I fear my soppy in-built joy could never have coped with any sort of disloyalty and, perhaps, particularly infidelity.

Speldnan Tue 21-Aug-18 10:10:02

Mine did after 25 years of marriage. He told me straight away and since it was obvious he had no intention of ending it I told him our marriage was over. The split was horrendous though as he lived in the same house with me for nearly a year while we tried to sell it-couldn’t afford to move out.. our children were teenagers and it affected them badly especially my son who was still at home. Eventually we sold the house and went out separate ways. He did me a favour though as I’ve been much happier without him and found a new man who really loves me. I don’t think things can ever be the same once this happens so I’d advise to get out if at all possible.

Coconut Tue 21-Aug-18 10:15:17

I could never forgive an affair as I would feel that once the trust has gone, it’s gone. As for staying in touch if someone did forgive, that’s just rubbing salt into an open wound so how could anyone tolerate that. My friend said she did because she loved him. I asked what it was about him that she loved .... the way he hurts her, the way he disrespects her ... or the way he is continuing to humiliate her ? She did then tell him that she believed in equality and that maybe she needs to find someone else too, to fill an obvious void in their marriage. His adverse reaction was clear evidence to her that the marriage was truly over and she so deserved more ....

Barmeyoldbat Tue 21-Aug-18 10:28:44

I stayed with my ex after had an affair ( when I was pregnant) but to be honest I did forget about it UNTIL it happened again with someone else many years later. That is why he is now my ex.

HotTamales Tue 21-Aug-18 10:47:09

He’d have to leave and the same goes for me if I had an affair too. We’ve discussed this and always been in agreement; once the trust is gone that’s the end as far as we’re both concerned.

But it’s different for everyone, your circumstances are yours and I wouldn’t judge anyone who made decisions that weren’t like my own.

JoJo58 Tue 21-Aug-18 10:53:49

Yes, been there hubby had an affair but we did work it out, I confronted them together it was very painful but I am very strong mentally and after DH had some therapy we found out why he went off the rails, but we still loved each other and wanted it to work, he is totally different now and so is our marriage all for the better, and when the affair was over, it was over, he never saw or spoke to her again, it takes time to get over the anger and build up the trust but 8 years on we are very happy and enjoy our life together, so it can work just look forward not back.

kazziecookie Tue 21-Aug-18 11:15:25

First husband had an affair with a woman he worked with and second husband had an affair with one of my close friends. In both cases I was the last to know and there was a tremendous amount of hurt and betrayal. I feel the lies they tell are the hardest thing to take.
I wasn’t given a choice as to carry on with the marriages as they both chose the other woman and left me.
I am a glutton for punishment as I am now on my third marriage but it has lasted 19 years and I am as certain as I can be that he has been faithful.
I would be absolutely devastated if he cheated and feel it would have to be the end for me and would probably never marry again.

jenwren Tue 21-Aug-18 11:16:02

I found out and by the time I did he was madly in love with her. They married as soon as we divorced. Thirty years later I am seriously over the moon to say 'it was the best thing that ever happened to me' I went on to further education and a career and my boys are beautiful human beings. Dad's themselves and good husbands and fathers.

Onwards and Upwards life is good

glammanana Tue 21-Aug-18 11:16:17

I would be heartbroken if my hubby even considered having an affair which I am sure he has never done,if it had have happened though all trust would have gone I'm affraid and there would be no going back for me.
Well done rufus2 on reaching 62yrs with your lovely wife its a massive achievement,my hubby's motto is "happy wife happy life" and we have managed 42+ yrs on this little motto of his.

Hildagard Tue 21-Aug-18 11:22:17

Ex husband had an affair, think that says it all

starbird Tue 21-Aug-18 11:35:19

After unexpectedly losing both parents in my thirties within the space of a year shortly after having moved to be near them, I (unknowingly at the time) was suffering from depression and struggling to cope with two under school age children. My then husband was part of a theatre group and went out quite often, and as he didn’t drive he was given a lift home by a married woman and, ( as I found out later) they would sit in the car in a layby on the way talking for ages - perhaps he was asking for advice on how to treat his miserable wife! I am pretty sure that they did not have a physical affair because he stayed friends with the couple for a long time after we split up. This would not have been grounds for divorce but to me, it was more hurtful than if he’d had an affair just for the physical satisfaction of it. I was desperately lonely, he preferred to spend time talking to her than being with me.
So in answer to OP it all depends on what your relationship was, is now, and could potentially be if you stayed together. For me, even then, affectionate companionship was what I wanted most.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 21-Aug-18 11:37:12

Hazbeen
I would need to know why.? Even if only for two weeks what did 'she' give your husband that you his wife , didn't /couldn't /or hadn't given him to make him want to do this to you.Did you ever consider once he came back in obtaining professional help as it appears from your comment 'its not as it should be' doubts are there Will he do it again?.

jocork Tue 21-Aug-18 11:38:21

My ex had an affair and is still with her 14 years on. He made it clear when I found out that he didn't want to try to make it work. Once I got over the shock I was relieved to let him go as I'd not been truly happy for a while. I've never met anyone else since but happy on my own. It would have to be someone very special to make me go down the marriage route again as I realised I'm pretty self sufficient. I have 2 great grown up kids and good relationships with them, and plenty friends. When we first split I thought I couldn't cope on my own with 2 teenagers, but I did. No regrets. As someone else said maybe if you love someone enough, but I didn't so I was better off without him.

Telly Tue 21-Aug-18 11:53:58

I would probably try to find out why. I think an affair is often a symptom, not a cause of a marriage break up. But I would not tolerate remaining in touch with a past fling.

Smileless2012 Tue 21-Aug-18 12:09:05

As much as I love Mr. S., I wouldn't be able to stay with him if he had an affair and wouldn't expect him to stay with me if I had one.

It isn't about forgiveness. Forgiveness may be possible but the betrayal, the breaking of trust is something I couldn't get over. I'd never be able to trust him again and IMO you can't have an intimate and close relationship without it.

I always think, and I don't want to upset anyone, that if the relationship you're in really matters to you, you wouldn't put it at risk by having an affair.

CassieJ Tue 21-Aug-18 12:11:08

I have had this happen to me. First time I threw him out, but love was still there so we got back together. It's very hard when you do still love the person and there are children. He didn't stay in touch with the other woman as far as I know
It was very difficult to trust again, and I certainly never forgot it, but we managed. Ten years later he went off again. So that was it for us, and we finally divorced.

Mary59nana Tue 21-Aug-18 12:19:19

My ex husband 32 years did have a affair
Total shocked and broken I was
Tried to save the marriage but trust had gone
Still very sad to this day 8 years on

Mary59nana Tue 21-Aug-18 12:25:35

Your story is similar to mine and I don’t think I’ll ever go down the marriage route again unless it’s someone really special.
Enjoy your single life you are a strong women

Mary59nana Tue 21-Aug-18 12:27:36

Ops above was for Jocork

Rufus2 Tue 21-Aug-18 12:32:22

What would you do Rufus if your wife had an affair??
grandMattie; Please read my earlier post.

icanhandthemback Tue 21-Aug-18 12:53:52

I think whether you stay depends on what sort of person you are and how much the unfaithful want to make the original relationship work. If you are the type of person who’ll keep picking at the metaphorical scab til it bleeds again, then it’s probably better to leave. If you can manage forgiveness then you stand a chance. I’m the former type of person so I’d be saying goodbye. As for keeping in touch, that smacks of having your cake and eating it so, unless there are extenuating circumstances, that would be no-no for me too.