Gransnet forums

Relationships

Feeling very low

(50 Posts)
crazyH Sun 07-Oct-18 11:30:59

Its a stunningly beautiful day out there...my unsociable son and his antagonistic wife has just posted some great pictures on our group "cloud". The kids (toddlers) are out in their lovely garden, playing on the scooter....how I would have loved to be out there with them. Haven't seen them for 5 weeks or so and they only live 10 mins drive down the road.
I am at home all alone, just feeling sorry for myself. I will probably go down in the afternoon to my daughter's house ...I can pop in there any time, but the teenagers, don't want to be spending time with their Nan, and daughter probably has paper work to do regarding her job. My younger son and his lovely wife have just had a baby, 1 week old, and I don't want to put upon them......she is a sweet daughterinlaw but then I wonder, is she just putting up with me for the sake of my son, who I know loves having me there...we watch movies together etc.
I don't know why I'm feeling so down today. I should be thankful for the positive in my life. I am a "half empty" glass kind of person.

Sparklefizz Sun 07-Oct-18 11:39:38

crazyH You have an amazing number of blessings to be thankful for, and you know that anyway because you've listed them in your post. You are just having a bit of a down day, but you're so much luckier than many of us on here, and I don't mean this to sound trite, but pick yourself up, dust yourself off and go out for a lovely walk in the sunshine while counting up how many good things you can think of.

Liz46 Sun 07-Oct-18 11:41:53

When I lived on my own I used to go for a swim and a yoga lesson. Otherwise I wouldn't have spoken to anyone all day.

crazyH Sun 07-Oct-18 11:43:47

Thankyou Sparkle.....I sometimes wonder whether I really do suffer from clinical depression .....hmmmm....or maybe bi-polar....must deal with it

Smileless2012 Sun 07-Oct-18 12:01:43

crazyflowers I'm feeling a little down in the dumps toosad. I've got a cold I've had for a week now complete with a dry cough that I don't seem to be able to get rid of.

Mr. S. and I didn't have our usual Saturday meal out last night, well you can't go out to eat when you're constantly coughing can you.

So this morning I thought you shouldn't be feeling sorry for yourself when there's so much to be thankful for. In 3 months time we'll be on our way to Aus. to spend 3 weeks with our DS and before that, at the end of next month we have a week in Lanzarote to look forward too.

That said there are still times, not as often as there used to be and usually if I'm not feeling well, that I think about our ES and the GC we've never known. Perhaps the wonderful arrival of that beautiful little girl and seeing pics of your other GC has made you dwell on not having seen them in a while. I know 5 weeks feels like forever, but it's still early days and the possibility of getting something sorted is perhaps still there.

Try not to worry about things going wrong with your dear d.i.l. and beautiful new GD. Try and enjoy them; we all have our glass half empty days.

MissAdventure Sun 07-Oct-18 12:06:52

Have you thought about visiting your doctor, crazy?
He or she may have something which would help you to fill your glass up to half full? flowers

MawBroon Sun 07-Oct-18 12:14:06

The curse of social media.
Without it, would you even have known?
Is there still time to invite them over to you for a cup of tea?
Sometimes being proactive can make you feel less left out or rejected.
If not today, you could say how seeing them brought a smile to your face and suggest a meet up next weekend?

Anniebach Sun 07-Oct-18 12:16:31

crazy do concentrate on the many positives in your life, fill up that glass and your mood will lift

sassenach512 Sun 07-Oct-18 12:28:25

Here's a bunch of flowers to cheer you up a little bit crazy we all have mopey days sometimes when the world seems greyer than usual.
May I suggest that old cliché and get a little dog? This is my little pal, he's cheeky and funny and I can't feel down when he's around, plus he's an excuse to get out of the house and come back feeling happier.
I hope tomorrow feels better for you x

crazyH Sun 07-Oct-18 12:29:15

Thanks all.....my new grandson is only 5lb8ozs....so tiny....
Liz, I can't swim and have no hobbies, except playing scrabble online, and my Thursday over50s club. I Have good friends and neighbours. I find the weekends the worst, I don't know why.
Smileless, how lovely for you , Lanzarote first and then the biggie.....trip to Australia. I hope you will keep posting if you can find the time.
MissA.... years ago when I was going through my divorce, I was on antidepressants. Perhaps, I will go back to my Doc...I have heard of CBT.....it's a safer alternative to pills, I think.

crazyH Sun 07-Oct-18 12:54:01

Maw and Annie, thanks for your suggestions.
Oh Sass.....what a cutie you have there ?- my health isn't the best....asthma, which is exasperated by animal fur.
But thanks anyway. I should feel better tomorrow- weekends are always worse.
Thanks for flowers and here are some for all of you ? ? ? ? ? ?

MawBroon Sun 07-Oct-18 13:00:50

I totally agree about weekends BTW.
If it hadn’t been for my neighbor’s DH sorting my dishwasher salt dispenser and then the Ocado man in the evening, the only living soul I would have spoken to was Hattie. Yes it can get you down or, if you feel up to it, there are other distractions
So I enjoyed hunkering down with a few episodes of he West Wing (again)

Nonnie Sun 07-Oct-18 13:02:23

A widowed friend came this week and she said that Sundays are the worst days. If that is the same for you, can you plan ahead to have things to do on Sundays?

Sparklefizz Sun 07-Oct-18 13:15:11

crazyH No hobbies? There must be something you fancy giving a try. There are so many fantastic groups to join - book clubs, art groups, walking groups, knitting, yoga, computer, volunteering, blah blah blah. I would be bored stiff without all the interests I have..... and boredom can lead to feeling low.

Flaxseed Sun 07-Oct-18 15:44:29

CrazyH
I feel for you. I am a glass half empty person and it’s not easy to change. Looking for positives isn’t always easy even when you are know they are there and grateful for them!

Before I met DP, I absolutely hated Sunday’s. It felt like everyone was playing happy families and that I was the only person moping about on my own!

What helped me was getting out, even if it was only to the shops.
Maybe you could pop out and start some Xmas shopping? (although I realise it’s a bit to late for that today and sorry to mention the C word already!)
Or have a good pre Xmas sort out of your home?

Have you heard of Meet-up?

I joined a group when I was on my own and although I didn’t go for long, I met a couple of friends through it and they had lots of things planned.
There are various Meet up groups - some have a specific common interest, some are just for single people to meet and have a drink/cuppa/walk etc

I hope you are feeling a bit better this afternoon.

lemongrove Sun 07-Oct-18 18:23:56

Do you have a local craft group, book group, history club WI, garden club etc? I know that wouldn't fill weekends but would give more interest to your life.
I never look at FB or similar so don’t know what they are all doing ( the AC) at any one time.
Yes, the curse of social media where all ‘appear’ to be having a marvellous time.

crazyH Sun 07-Oct-18 19:09:22

I belong to a 50+ group, but we only meet once a fortnight. I manage weekdays ok. Occasionally pick up teenagers from school, pop in to see the baby, meet friends, shopping, but I don't know what it is about Sundays. I sometimes go to church on a Sunday, but I didn't feel like going today.
By tomorrow morning, I should be fine, and it's about time I realise, that my family have their own lives.
I remember a friend who was on her own, used to go to the movies on her own....and after that, sits down for a coffee. I've not got used to do things on my own, even though its years (18) since I've been divorced.
Thanks all xx
I will check out 'Meet up'

BlueBelle Sun 07-Oct-18 22:50:06

Crazy I go to the cinema alone if it’s a film I fancy and my friends don’t, weekends are more difficult, I spent all today weeding and clearing up my garden but I ll go for a walk or just be lazy and watch TV you have to get used to doing stuff on your own however hard it is
My grandkids are teens now and it’s right that they don’t need us any more but that’s how it should be
If you don’t like something only you can change it and you know what. the sky doesn’t fall in if you go to the cinema on your own and who knows you might even get talking to the person sitting next to you
Open your horizons up

Sparklefizz Mon 08-Oct-18 08:19:25

CrazyH and BlueBelle When I was first on my own after my divorce, many years ago, I hated weekends because everyone seemed to be in couples, but I suddenly realised that many of these couples might be totally miserable, just like I had been with my husband, and they might be looking at me on my own and wishing they were me. It did me good to have a complete U-turn.

Another breakthrough came when I mentioned lonely weekends to a young neighbour who had 2 small children, who pointed out that she would give anything to have a weekend all on her own!

I turned the whole thing round after that.

Hope you are feeling better today crazyH

BlueBelle Mon 08-Oct-18 08:54:57

Sparkle that’s exactly how I feel, life could be so much worse and so many people looking happy are hiding heart ache Ok so I m alone I miss a touch, a hug, someone to chew things over with but I have friends I have my voluntary work which makes me feel useful and needed and I have a family albeit all over the place and I have to make my own life work for me and I do for the most part
Good luck Crazy put some music on and have a dance round the kitchen table x

Harris27 Mon 08-Oct-18 10:15:34

Feeling so sad for you but remember it's up to you to keep in touch also. I have dh and busy life but still miss my sons who have all got their lives to lead. Try and find something that makes you smile each day sending you hugs.x

oldmom Mon 08-Oct-18 10:30:05

Unsociable son and antagonistic wife? Well, I'm not all that surprised that you're not welcome there. That's hardly a kind way to describe anyone.

Why don't you take yourself out shopping, buy something nice for your "sweet" DIL and the baby, and then take the opportunity to find a gift for your other DIL. Tell her you were out shopping, and just couldn't help getting something nice for her.

And 5 pounds, 8 ounces is not so "tiny". It's right on the line between "normal" and "low birth weight", so there's no particular cause for concern in that alone. My son was 4 1/2 pounds when he was born (2 kgs) and he was fine.

Camelotclub Mon 08-Oct-18 10:37:02

At least you have kids and grandkids to contact or visit.

loopyloo Mon 08-Oct-18 10:42:12

Yes Sundays are a problem as OH always working. So I have decided to ask various Odd Bods to Sunday lunch. So am practising, did roast chicken yesterday. My friend enjoyed it.

anitamp1 Mon 08-Oct-18 10:55:22

Oh poor you. Most of us get down in the dumps for no good reason despite how many blessings we have. You say you've got no hobbies. Perhaps you could start a new one? Have you ever been creative? I started making cards a few years ago. You don't have to be particularly artistic. And lots of supplies on line. Are there any clubs/societies near you? Do you read? If so look for a book club. I'd have no qualms about going to the cinema alone. And some cinemas have tea and film afternoons. I do think you need to push yourself to do more. I think weekends are more difficult for working people can be very busy. DH and i are retired and we don't have much family nearby. We tend to do stuff during week, which can leave things a bit flat especially in winter. I suspect you will find yourself busier as your new grandbaby gets older. I do think you are incredibly lucky family wise. This is a bad time of year for a lot of people, with the weather getting colder and the dark nights. But if you do think you are clinically depressed please please go and see the doctor. Otherwise shake those tailfeathers, count your blessings and carry on being the fabulous you that I am sure your family see.