Gransnet forums

Relationships

Should we believe him?

(34 Posts)
NannaComic Mon 12-Nov-18 16:34:28

I wonder if you ladies could give some advice please. Basically my DD and SIL parted around three years ago and SIL moved in with another woman. This woman "Wendy" has two sons and DD and SIL have one son the same age as Wendy's. Over the past couple of years GS has mentioned Wendy has not been very nice to him by making scathing remarks when SIL is not around and being mentally cruel by saying things like "Your Dad doesn't love you, you know". Then a few months ago Wendy was drying GS hair and sunk her nails into his head. He came back and recited this to DD and, to test him (as he has in the past been prone to exaggerating) DD said "I bet she smacks you too doesn't she" to which GS said "Oh no Mummy she doesn't smack me but she really hurt my head". Which to me implies that he was telling the truth in the first instance.

So, when he was dropped home this weekend SIL said to DD that GS has said to him that Wendy had pushed him in the leg with her foot. No marks were there and SIL was not sure if Wendy had done this or if GS was telling fibs (he is 8 years old). So now my DD is in a quandary. If she does nothing will GS feel betrayed and feels that no-one believes or supports him, or confronts Wendy (who would probably deny it anyway) and cause a problem with SIL and also would Wendy take it out even more on GS. Any ideas on how to deal with this please ladies?

silverlining48 Mon 12-Nov-18 17:07:48

Difficult but in my opinion your dd should say something to the father about what your gs sAid. If this is going on it needs to be stopped. If nothing is done then your gs will not feel able to tell if anything else happens, what’s more, he will feel let down by all the adults in. His life.
I said something once, it wasn’t mentioned or followed up,more is the pity.

gmelon Mon 12-Nov-18 17:11:04

Could you encourage your grandson to tell his Dad while you are there to support.

BlueBelle Mon 12-Nov-18 17:24:50

Does your grandson live with his father and ‘Wendy’ ? If so then I think his dad needs to know as it may escalate or does he just visit ?

MissAdventure Mon 12-Nov-18 17:28:02

Surely the best thing to do would be to go and speak to Wendy?
If, as it should be, everyone is concerned with your grandsons wellbeing, then they should be able to have an uncomfortable but civil conversation, and sort out what is going on.

Newmom101 Mon 12-Nov-18 17:57:06

It's a tricky situation as you have no proof either way. However, if I were your DD in this scenario I would be requesting to my ex that DGS and Wendy were not left alone together, to ensure that there is no chance for these situations to occur. I would also be telling DGS that if anything happens again he is to immediately report it to his father. As well as that, I would be providing him with a cheap mobile phone to contact your DD if something does occur and he wants to go home, as you cannot guarantee his father will keep an eye.

It's far better to be cautious and over the top, than risk a child being abused, which (if this is true) is exactly what she is doing. Sadly there have been lots of occasions where people assume a child is making it up and when the person accused is a woman people are far less likely to believe the child.

Does he seem reluctant to go to his dads?

FlexibleFriend Mon 12-Nov-18 18:05:53

If she's really sunk her nails into his head he'd have marks on his scalp, did no one check?

TwiceAsNice Mon 12-Nov-18 18:10:00

Definitely believe him and speak to his dad. He is not speaking in vague terms he is being very specific. Children should always be believed in these circumstances unless you have absolute proof it is NOT happening.

NannaComic Mon 12-Nov-18 19:33:48

Thank you ladies. Yes Silverlining48 GS did tell SIL who repeated the scenario with DD but said he (SIL) was not there so couldn't confirm. DGS visits he dad every other weekend Bluebelle. He really loves his Dad but at times has been reluctant to go. Good points Newmom101 will take that on board. The nail incident happened when he first went there so nothing was said...

M0nica Mon 12-Nov-18 20:14:11

I would believe the child in a scenario like this. I think Newmom101 is right in her approach to the problem.

Chewbacca Mon 12-Nov-18 20:19:37

I too would believe the child. He hasn't sought to exaggerate the incidents and they sound so random, I seriously doubt whether a child of 8 would think up sinking nails into his scalp unless it actually happened. Some straight talking with SIL needed here before things go too far.

Melanieeastanglia Mon 12-Nov-18 20:37:04

Does your daughter get on with her ex? Is it possible for her to have a calm, but firm, discussion with him?

I would say the matter needs to be sorted out urgently because the boy is being treated badly if he's telling the truth and, if he is telling lies, he needs to be told firmly that this is wrong and dangerous in lots of ways.

Newmom101 Mon 12-Nov-18 22:58:38

This situation has been stuck in my head all day and I've had a couple of other thoughts.

I know it's a horrible thought but could there be a chance that your SIL is responsible, not 'Wendy'. I only ask because I work with children and in a recent safeguarding training we were discussing how children don't always report the actual abuser in a situation, especially when it's a parent (or other close family member) and when the children are younger. Often children project onto someone else as they are scared of reporting their parent and obviously they are quite conflicted as they love their parent. Not wanting to plant doubts in your mind about your SIL, but if the abuse was reported then a line of investigation as to whether 'wendy' was responsible or another family member.

Secondly, although the incidents are quite minor at the moment (obviously not to you or your GS, but compared to a lot of situations) it is probably best that your daughter (or any of you) doesn't question her son too much as if it ever does escalate and end up being reported you could be perceived as putting ideas into his head. Even your daughter checking to see whether he was exaggerating I bet she smacks you too doesn't she could be seen as planting ideas, especially given that it is your SIL that has moved on first. It's probably a good idea for your daughter to keep a note of dates/times and exactly what your GS said. I know that sounds a little over the top, but if it ever needs handing over to relevant authorities then you need to be dealing in the facts.

Grandma2213 Tue 13-Nov-18 01:22:56

Such a difficult situation. I can only use my own experience with my DGC. They spend a lot of time with me and so 'situations' sometimes arise! One DGD is a particularly difficult child and has always been prone to temper tantrums and mood changes. I remember on one occasion (aged about 7) she started throwing things at her sister in temper and I took hold of her to remove her from the situation. She was kicking me, biting and screaming and her long hair became entangled in my hand. She then accused me of pulling her hair and child abuse and she would tell her Mummy. I think this was her perception of what was happening but it did scare me somewhat. This was her version of the truth as she saw it.

When she has calmed down after these incidents we always have a cuddle and a low key chat about and I always tell her how much I love her even though I don't like that particular behaviour. However it has always worried me how it would look if she did share her version of the truth.

I would always believe a child who reported these things but my own experiences tell me that there is more than one version of every story and nothing is as simple as it seems. Nevertheless it is vitally important that children are protected so reported incidents should be investigated and discussed at least, initially, within the family.

Coconut Tue 13-Nov-18 10:09:10

Hopefully your DD has a good enough relationship to discuss this with ex SIL rationally, as he mentioned the kick. Initially GS should def be believed as to do otherwise could cause numerous issues to him. Even if it wasn’t true it would prove that GS is unhappy with something. Is GS able to speak to his Dad about all the issues with his mum there ? Maybe GS spending one to one time with his Dad for a while would help. If it’s all true it’s a physical assault on a child, which Wendy could be prosecuted for. Good luck ..

Sandigold Tue 13-Nov-18 10:31:53

Very tricky situation. How is your GS feeling about the whole situation?If he does not want to go that offers a message that it really is either emotionally or physically not working for him. Your DD could act by pressing pause on visits until there is some clarity.

Jayelld Tue 13-Nov-18 10:34:32

Grandma2213 a similar incident occurred when my Grandsons were around 5yrs and 3 yrs old. The 5yr old was being rude and hitting his brother in the car. I took him out, he fought me so I just held him firmly until he calmed down.
Two days later a social worker called, a neighbour had reported that my grandson was "attacking me"!
A brief visit and a short chat over coffee with both boys playing happily, and nothing further was done, thankfully.
As to the original post, I think keeping a record, date, time, what occurred and what was said, by both you GC and DD, as well as any bruises, should be kept just as a safeguard. Maybe you DD should have a word with your SiL if this continues.

DotMH1901 Tue 13-Nov-18 10:59:46

I would concur with other replies and say to get your DD to keep a note of any 'abuse' your DGS reports and to check for any signs of bruising etc. As your ex SIL is aware of what DGS has already said hopefully he will be keeping a watch on the situation too.

tigger Tue 13-Nov-18 11:18:31

She needs sorting, cruelty. bullying, abuse call it what you will it is absolutely unacceptable.

caocao Tue 13-Nov-18 13:25:05

When my stepson was 8 he would tell my husband when visiting us that his mothers new partner would pretend to play rough and tumble with him but deliberately hurt him. When these accusations were investigated they were found to be untrue.
After happy visits with us where he got on very well with me and was always well behaved, even though he told me that his mother had told him I was an idiot and not to do anything I told him, (I explained that sometimes I might see a danger that he did not and so it might be better to listen to me), he would go home and allegedly tell his mother that I was cruel to him and would often lock him in a bedroom! I did not I can assure you.
As the everlasting divorce and access arrangements had been acrimonious with the ex-wife "weaponising" the poor child and telling him all sorts of vile lies about his dad, I rather thought he was telling her what he thought she wanted to hear and whilst we never said anything detrimental about his mother he was doing the same with his father.

Grammaretto Tue 13-Nov-18 13:31:28

These situations must be common given there are so many composite families nowadays.
Nurseries, I'm told, have cctv to monitor the behaviour of carers and of children.

I think I wouldn't ignore the child but don't treat the incident as a mortal sin rather just let it be known that you are aware.
I'm thinking back to when my own DC drove me to distraction on occasion and I can vividly remember an older neighbour intervening when I was shouting at one by reminding me he was just a child!! Oh the shame.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 13-Nov-18 13:32:28

If I were the boy's mother, I would have a quiet word with my ex. using as my starting point that their son has, when younger, exaggerated things or even told fibs. This is after all very common in children until about his age. Therefore his mother is wondering what actually happened and whether the boy is exaggerating some minor incident.

By starting the conversation in that way, I would hope the boy's father wouldn't immediately feel he has to defend his wife.

A child of eight is old enough to be taught not to exaggerate things but to report them as they happened and not to tell fibs. His mother should try to teach him to report events accurately, by asking him to tell her about things that she can check. He should too be old enough now to distinguish between the truth and a fib.

If on the other hand his father's new wife is being unkind to him, and telling him that Daddy doesn't love him is certainly mental abuse, the situation has to be addressed. No child should be physically or mentally abused, as we all doubtless agree. If "Wendy" is so insecure or unstable that she is doing what the child says she is, then a responsible adult should be present whenever his father is not there, or the boy should not visit the home, but spend time with his father in some other place.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 13-Nov-18 13:33:05

Professional advice is needed. There are helplines who will advise on these circumstances and they would not 'rush in' as they are used to dealing with these ' did it really happen situations' but at the same time they will not dismiss the fact that 'abuse' is or may not be taking place and it will be logged and DD given a visit for more details.

montymops Tue 13-Nov-18 15:54:50

It’s not difficult or tricky - Get it sorted - the child is unhappy - talk to all of them - expose it all to the light - ASAP

Iowkati Tue 13-Nov-18 16:16:36

This