Gransnet forums

Relationships

Gender reveal party?

(26 Posts)
blue60 Tue 20-Nov-18 23:16:38

Have any of you come across this? Revealing the sex of an unborn baby at a party? If so, what do you think and would you go to one?

Melanieeastanglia Tue 20-Nov-18 23:21:58

I think I'd go if I was invited. However, I don't think I'd bother to host such a party if I happened to be having a baby.

SueDonim Tue 20-Nov-18 23:33:32

You can buy gender reveal cakes from M&S. It's a bit like the baby shower trend, I guess. My dd had a shower but only because her friends wanted her to have one. She didn't know whether she was having a boy or girl so her gender reveal was in the delivery room! grin

crazyH Tue 20-Nov-18 23:37:21

I've heard of it....it's an American thing, which is catching on here in the U.K.
Sure, I'd go to one if I was invited. My daughter didn't have one, but I did a nice dinner for her, couple of her friends and a couple of my friends. However, my daughter's-in-law had baby showers, but not a baby naming party.

maryeliza54 Wed 21-Nov-18 01:17:22

It’s a sex reveal party - you can’t reveal gender as it’s a social construct but you can reveal sex as it’s a biological fact for the vast vast majority of babies

Teacheranne Wed 21-Nov-18 02:02:03

My son and his American wife revealed the sex of my grandchild at their wedding when they cut into the bottom tier of their cake! Blue sponge for a boy! They delayed the scan until I was able to go with them to the hospital so I already knew but it was a surprise to the other guests. My 84 year old mum thought it very strange to advertise the pregnancy at the wedding!

BlueBelle Wed 21-Nov-18 04:53:55

I ve heard of it, another totally unnecessary, silly American thing passed to us No one I know has ever had one hopefully it ll disappear again soon
Another load of old tripe

stella1949 Wed 21-Nov-18 07:22:55

I suspect that my children won't be having any more babies, but if they did, and they had one of these parties, yes I'd go . Nothing wrong with a bit of fun .

MissAdventure Wed 21-Nov-18 07:31:46

I may be a cynical, but I can't help thinking that most people won't care what sex your baby is.

maryeliza54 Wed 21-Nov-18 07:52:02

I agree Miss,A I find it self absorbed and meaningless. Why such an emphasis on the baby’s sex? I suppose it’s to get the nursery appropriately decorated to start developing the increasingly straightened gender parameters within which we are bringing up our children - and that’s to the detriment of both sexes.

BlueBelle Wed 21-Nov-18 07:52:24

Missadventure why worry they will probably change by the time their 12 ?
I wonder what colour the gender neutral folks have in their cakes ? rainbows I guess

maryeliza54 Wed 21-Nov-18 07:59:09

Actually Bluebell some of us gender critical feminists seriously believe that it’s this increasingly emphasis on ‘gender’ that is making it more likely that some children and parents start to worry about being ‘in the wrong body’. For example some parents are recorded as saying about their very small son that they are sure he wants to transition because he likes dressing up or won’t play with cars. If we tightly define gender we make it hard for those children who don’t fit the stereotype. These parties are not harmless fun but part of a mind set that potentially harms children

stella1949 Wed 21-Nov-18 09:44:16

Oh dear - soon we'll be banning doctors from saying "It's a boy ! " or "It's a girl !" . Transactivism is going to make us all a pale shade of beige, for fear of upsetting anyone.

oldbatty Wed 21-Nov-18 09:49:19

sounds to me like an attempt to get presents from friends.

maryeliza54 Wed 21-Nov-18 11:25:07

I don’t understand your post at all stella - I was making the point that ‘gender’ reveal parties feed into the whole frenzy of trans activism by encouraging gender stereotypes and substituting that erroneously for sex. The TAs are now using the the stupid phrase ‘ gender assigned at birth’. Gender critical feminists like me say sex is identified at birth based on biological facts ( I know there is the intersex issue but that’s not part of this debate) .

Nonnie Wed 21-Nov-18 11:41:58

When this came up in a thread a few weeks ago some suggested that these parties and showers were premature as not all pregnancies result in a baby. I remember when everyone waited until after the birth to buy anything 'just in case'

maryeliza54 Wed 21-Nov-18 11:47:57

Actually Nonnie that’s my main reason for not liking baby showers and a second reason for not liking ‘gender’ reveal parties. But overall I hate this commidification of pregnancy and babies.

SueDonim Wed 21-Nov-18 12:29:24

I agree Maryeliza. One learns of the sex of one's baby, not its gender.

Where I live, the hospital won't tell you the sex of your baby from the scan so you have to pay privately if you want to know prior to birth. My own dd chose not to find out and I must admit, it was very exciting to find out the old-fashioned way!

SueDonim Wed 21-Nov-18 12:30:58

I also agree re the 'counting chickens' aspect of baby shower/gender reveal parties. It did leave me feeling a bit uneasy when I threw a shower for my dd.

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Nov-18 12:41:38

It seems like another contrived and materialistic way of parting people from their money.

mcem Wed 21-Nov-18 12:50:18

With the 20week scan due early December my DS and DiL will not ask the question. Meantime they are planning a nursery with pale blue sky with clouds above the dado and soft green below.
All knitting being undertaken is white.
The only family member who is expressing a preference is DGS who would prefer a girl cousin (he has 3 sisters) so that he'll remain the only boy!

Daddima Wed 21-Nov-18 12:56:57

I got a video the other week from my friend’s daughter showing them all round a big white balloon. The mummy burst the balloon and a smaller blue balloon and blue confetti popped out to much cheering and clapping from the assembled company.

A wee bit OTT for me.

NanKate Wed 21-Nov-18 13:10:05

Give me strength ?

In days gone by producing a healthy infant was top priority not what sex it was.

No doubt the folk invited to the party have to take gifts.

?

Bellasnana Wed 21-Nov-18 13:24:20

Can’t see any harm in it myself. Life is so full of doom and gloom it’s just a bit of fun to celebrate a happy event.

maryeliza54 Wed 21-Nov-18 13:24:48

When people clap when the blue balloon popped out would they have booed if it had been a pink one?Just asking