Gransnet forums

Relationships

GN members with problems

(56 Posts)
M0nica Fri 30-Nov-18 13:31:23

I have just given up on a distraught member with a problem because I just could not cope with what looked like 100s of lines of text, without a paragraph break, and, probably punctuation and capital letters. My eyes skidded off the text before I could notice whether capitals and punctuation were there.

Please could all GNers with a problem first type their problem out as a Word document. Then come back and edit it, Put paragraphs, punctuation and capitals in then come back again yet later and halve its length. Then cut and paste into a thread.

I know people are upset and overwrought when they write these documents, but many I feel would benefit from taking a deep breath, slowing down and doing the above. In some cases, doing this might solve the problem.

Either way, it would mean that more people would read the post and respond to the cry for help.

Today I felt as if the post was pasted on a very tall narrow wall and I was in a glass fronted lift going down 20 floors very fast and I was trying to read the post as the lift went past it.

I have every compassion for those in extremis and needing help, but find many of their posts unreadable.

Teetime Fri 30-Nov-18 14:02:15

What?

janeainsworth Fri 30-Nov-18 14:04:20

I think Monica is referring to a post I tried to read earlier today that was definitely TLDR.

MiniMoon Fri 30-Nov-18 14:09:52

I skipped that post too! The length of it out me off. I'm sure there are ways to be more concise.

Anniebach Fri 30-Nov-18 14:30:31

What is TLDR ?

Jane10 Fri 30-Nov-18 14:32:35

I'm glad you brought this up. I too just give up on threads like that. I suppose the OP is venting more than anything else.

Squiffy Fri 30-Nov-18 14:37:14

I'm so relieved that I'm not the only one who gives up. Yes, I'm sure the op is venting and putting things down in a rush to get it all out, so perhaps that, in itself, benefits them.

My eyes won't follow long text without some sort of break between the lines. I lose my place.

Annie I think it's Too Long Didn't Read - or something like that!

kittylester Fri 30-Nov-18 14:46:25

I agree. If it's the post I'm thinking of then the poster will think we are an uncaring bunch when it is really a poorly put problem. I'd rather have each sentence having it's own paragraph - iyswim.

Anniebach Fri 30-Nov-18 14:46:54

Thank you Squiffy I need paragraphs else I get confused

EllanVannin Fri 30-Nov-18 15:01:46

If you mentioned who the poster is/was then said poster would adhere to what is acceptable and wouldn't do it again ?
One only learns by their mistakes,right ?

Izabella Fri 30-Nov-18 15:10:32

I didn't read it for the reasons above.

M0nica Fri 30-Nov-18 15:24:37

I nearly posted on the thread itself, but felt it was unfair to seemingly target one distressed member, about what is a common pattern with these kinds of posts.

I really am not trying to 'get' at anyone and I understand that these are often posters in distress, but I, like many others want to help and support these individuals. but, sadly, often are unable to do so because to have complex family problems explained in long undifferentiated prose that ends up being almost incomprehensible, makes that impossible.

Buffybee Fri 30-Nov-18 15:30:47

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 30-Nov-18 16:01:30

Hello, just a reminder that we don't allow threads about threads. BUT we do appreciate that the OP has raised a valid point so we're going to let it stay for now. If we could stick to the issue rather than discuss any one particular thread that would be appreciated. We're going to delete any posts here that reference particular threads directly. Thanks smile

Googoogoo1 Fri 30-Nov-18 16:16:50

We are all different. If that's their style then so be it. If you find it too difficult move on.
I had previously read it. I did find it a little difficult to keep up with but I don't see any reason to make someone feel more distraught than they already are.
Now I am feeling very wary on how I write on here. sad

ninathenana Fri 30-Nov-18 16:34:43

Googoogool
I think the whole point of the OP of this thread was to advise not criticise.
You say "if you find it too difficult move on" posters are saying they didn't want to move on that's the whole point, they wanted to give support/sympathy etc. but the style made it difficult to do.

Googoogoo1 Fri 30-Nov-18 16:53:13

Of course we want to support those in difficulty.
It's the making a poster very uncomfortable, having came on here in the first place, that I find difficult. If it was my post being commented on I would be devastated.
Perhaps a style can't be changed particularly at a stressful time. "Move on" without pointing out (our problems reading it) seems preferable to me.

M0nica Fri 30-Nov-18 16:55:27

Thank you Nina for putting it so clearly and succinctly.

Squiffy Fri 30-Nov-18 17:09:27

Googoogoo1 No-one is trying to make the poster uncomfortable. Far from it!

Nina has summed it up completely.

Gonegirl Fri 30-Nov-18 18:01:12

I guess not everyone is familiar with "word documents". Not sure I am to be honest. Punctuation, paragraphs, etc. Might not come easily to everyone. Would be a shame if anyone was put off posting with a problem because they feel they do not have enough writing skills.

Izabella Fri 30-Nov-18 18:14:53

Absolutely agree Gonegirl but on the other hand some of us are visually compromised and that is where my particular comment was coming from, rather than a complaint about the OP.

maryeliza54 Fri 30-Nov-18 18:19:53

Nice public discussion here about a new poster. Well done. Could have posted that you would send a PM and then sent one with some kind advice.

Squiffy Fri 30-Nov-18 18:35:42

I daresay someone has already done so maryeliza smile

maryeliza54 Fri 30-Nov-18 18:41:01

Well if the OP had done that rather than start a thread which others then joined in with the whole thing could have been avoided.

M0nica Fri 30-Nov-18 18:41:06

No, not about a new poster, about a type of post, quite a lot of people do.