Gransnet forums

Relationships

When if at all do you share diaries with a friend?

(77 Posts)
ooonana Wed 05-Dec-18 16:57:00

I have a long-standing male friend who I have had several tiffs and good times with over several years. We are both widowed and having just begun to see each other more often now after several months break, he is beginning to repeat the old behaviour of wanting to know what I’m doing and know my diary contents. We made up this time on the grounds that our friendship has to be free and easy. I feel he is a very controlling man and today when I wouldn’t get my diary out to check dates he lost it again and became very child like and spat his dummy out. We are now not speaking and he has told me to cancel all the dates we did have together. He is so childlike. I just did not want to be controlled again like before. Ideas please? I know he gets depressed and is having treatment and I’m sorry for him I guess but I don’t want to be throttled again and end up myself in a state of anxiety.

merlotgran Wed 05-Dec-18 17:01:46

hmm

sodapop Wed 05-Dec-18 17:05:17

I think you have the answer yourself ooonana this is controlling behaviour and occuring quite soon in your rekindled relationship. It will only get worse so run for the hills before you get any more involved.

KatyK Wed 05-Dec-18 17:12:52

throttled?

tanith Wed 05-Dec-18 17:15:30

Your gut feelings are right don’t let him back into your life or he’ll try and take over again.

M0nica Wed 05-Dec-18 17:38:19

Someone who checks your diary and throws a tantrum if you won't show shock

Avoid like the plague. You are not committed and only just resumed your friendship and already he is behaving like a spoilt 2 year old.

It sounds as if you have gone through this before with someone else, and are drawn to people like this. You know this would be a disaster and your post shows it, but it also shows that nevertheless you are still drawn to him and hope that we will in some way give you 'permission' to keep seeing him.

Sorry, oonana, drop him, drop him, drop himnow and do not even toy with the idea that perhaps this could be made to work. It can't and you know it.

minesaprosecco Wed 05-Dec-18 17:42:55

Run as fast and as far away as you can!

Jane10 Wed 05-Dec-18 17:43:25

hmm

Buffybee Wed 05-Dec-18 17:44:09

What everyone above has said!

MissAdventure Wed 05-Dec-18 17:48:41

Here's my idea.
Tell him to eff off.

lemongrove Wed 05-Dec-18 18:10:17

Buy him a onesie and a real dummy? hmm

EllanVannin Wed 05-Dec-18 18:19:29

Well I couldn't be doing with a misery. I'd chase him.

BlueBelle Wed 05-Dec-18 18:33:03

Is this the same companion you were writing about last year having various problems and were advised to leave him ?

ooonana Wed 05-Dec-18 18:39:56

Yes Blue Belle afraid it is and I haven’t learnt have I

Buffybee Wed 05-Dec-18 18:53:19

I really hope that "throttled" is just a turn of phrase which I am not familiar with.

ooonana Wed 05-Dec-18 19:00:46

Hello Buffy throttled in our neck of the woods means being held back and controlled

ooonana Wed 05-Dec-18 19:03:03

Thank you all for your messages, I will take them all to heart. I really need reassurance from you all that this is never going to be made in heaven.

Izabella Wed 05-Dec-18 19:17:04

Throttled here is neck wringing.

Buffybee Wed 05-Dec-18 19:29:42

Same here Izabella! ?
I thought to myself, she's being very casual about the fact that he's been throttling her. ?

MawBroon Wed 05-Dec-18 19:32:58

1 I wouldn’t in the first place
2 I would lose him from my life forthwith.

Oakleaf Wed 05-Dec-18 19:44:13

I can see from historical posts that you have known this man a very long time and have periodically posted the same kind of concerns about his controlling behaviour. I think you have to accept that this is how he is. If you are asking if you can be any more than occasional friends, the answer is no unless you are prepared to submit to him wanting to know (and eventually wanting to control) your every movement.

Marthjolly1 Wed 05-Dec-18 19:51:18

Do you want contentment in your life? Someone who makes you feel good about yourself without you having to jump hoops to please him. This man is not going to give you that. He just wants to take everything from you and give nothing in return. Your life - your diary- none of his business- let him go.

notanan2 Wed 05-Dec-18 20:33:54

Nope. We share a house and have 2 kids to parent together and although we do compare certain things for logistical purposes (eg who is picking up kids & when we're both free to do things together etc) he doesnt ask what Im doing otherwise in anything other than a conversational way

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Dec-18 23:11:07

Just Say No
and Goodbye

CanOnlyTry Thu 06-Dec-18 09:49:25

Get rid of him ASAP oonana
He won't change (and what's more - he's just proved it!!!)