Gransnet forums

Relationships

Upset and angry for daughters

(33 Posts)
Granjan06 Fri 07-Dec-18 21:33:12

My daughters are devastated and don't know where to turn. Their gran has been in a care home for several years, unfortunately it's a fair way from where they live and with work, young families and no transport have been unable to visit regularly, however they were able to keep in contact with her via mobile until a few months ago when it appeared to be cut off. They recently discovered the home was closing and their gran would be moved. One daughter managed to visit a couple of months ago and asked me to take her this weekend - as it's a couple of hours drive she was phoning to make sure it was OK to visit. Unable to get a reply she phoned Head Office to be told it has now closed, all residents have been moved but they don't have any details. Daughter phoned SS who would only say home was closed but couldn't give her any info. as she is not down as next of kin. She phoned her dad who said he hadn't been informed, he'd handed all financial, care responsibilities to SS and said would no longer be visiting but asked for his daughters to be down as next of kin.
Gran is in her 90's and my children are desperate to find where she is, terrified that if something happens they won't be told. My youngest is heartbroken as she promised she would visit and take her a new phone so she could have contact with her as before. Other than my ex, my daughters and young grandchildren she has no relatives. My daughters are desperate and other advise them to go to CAB I don't know what I can do to help.

NfkDumpling Sat 08-Dec-18 13:22:20

If all else fails, contact their MP and Radio Four’s You and Yours. A letter from an MP or a call from the BBC works wonders!

Granjan06 Sun 09-Dec-18 19:34:54

Thank you all for your replies, I have passed all the information on to my daughters who are very grateful, the youngest especially will break down all doors until she gets the outcome she wants.
BlueBelle, it is my former mil, I divorced her son over 30 years ago, however I always had a good relationship with her. I visited her as often as I could before she went into the home, I even went up to sort out her outfit for my daughters wedding, sadly she missed it as she went into hospital and was too ill. How awful for that to happen to your friend, that was so cruel
Jalimal108.. she was indeed a young woman and in the land army during the war and afterwards held a very responsible job until her retirement.

Fennel Sun 09-Dec-18 20:41:57

Such a sad story, but good that there are still young people with their heart in the right place.
Good for you for supporting them, Granjan.

Granjan06 Wed 12-Dec-18 21:32:23

Thank you everyone, my daughter contacted CAB, Adult Social Services, County Council, MP in fact just about everyone she possibly could. She's received emails, phone calls, people saying unfortunately they couldn't help but to try........ This afternoon it paid off, she finally spoke to someone from Continuing Health Care who has been able to tell her that her gran is OK, which home she has been moved to and contact details for the Matron of the home. Both daughters are ecstatic and I am taking them to visit her this weekend. The home is still the same distance away from them but they're happy that they now know where she is. Thank you again for all your help xx

Fennel Wed 12-Dec-18 22:31:39

Very good news smile !

NfkDumpling Fri 14-Dec-18 20:56:58

Excellent news!

Luckygirl Fri 14-Dec-18 22:06:48

Well - it is lovely to hear good news.