Gransnet forums

Relationships

Limerence ..... the shame and embarrassment of it

(230 Posts)
GrannyH50 Sat 08-Dec-18 19:57:04

I’ve just gone through this and it wasn’t pleasant.
Please can I ask if anyone else has gone through this?
I’ve only recently been able to put a name to it and am embarrassed to post admitting it. I’m happy to say I’m at the tail end but I’m married, I’m 51 years of age and although I’ve had silly ‘crushes’ occasionally I thought I’d done with it all, if I’m honest.
Please don’t judge, I’m pretty normal and boring but would love to know if any others have any stories to tell, thanks ?

Cherrytree59 Sat 08-Dec-18 20:48:46

GrannyH50 you are still young, why not put your thread on MN you may get some helpful responses.smile

Bathsheba Sat 08-Dec-18 20:49:40

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

GrannyH50 Sat 08-Dec-18 20:51:33

I never expected to get such nasty responses. I have been totally honest in my post (my first post, I might add).
I was dreadfully scared to post but I have literally no one in my real life I can share without shocking or surprising them at how I feel.
I was looking for SUPPORT, yes support from ladies perhaps who had gone through similar. Yet what have I received? I’ve been laughed at and belittled!
Seriously how do you think I feel?

aggie Sat 08-Dec-18 20:51:45

aggie Sat 08-Dec-18 20:52:16

smug ?

MawBroon Sat 08-Dec-18 20:55:14

You admit to feeling ashamed and embarrassed.
Why is this I wonder?
Could it be because you recognise that your feeling and behaviour might have been inappropriate?

So why are you surprised if others think the same?

Elegran Sat 08-Dec-18 20:56:35

As you are over it now, the best thing to do is to put it behind you and forget it. No need to get other people's stories and chew them over, that just collects them together for voyeurs to pore over and pass around their friends for a giggle. You don't want that to happen, do you? Do You?

GrannyH50 Sat 08-Dec-18 20:57:50

Please leave me alone. You have no idea how you’ve made me feel. I was looking for understanding. I’m so upset, you’ve no idea.

MawBroon Sat 08-Dec-18 21:00:37

Then may I (politely) suggest you follow Elegran’s advice and walk away - both from the situation and the thread.

Bathsheba Sat 08-Dec-18 21:01:54

Haha, think you may have hit the nail on the head there Elegran ???

Farmor15 Sat 08-Dec-18 21:05:06

I’m not sure why you are so upset at the responses as you really told us nothing in your first post, apart from using a word we didn’t understand. Obviously in a public forum, too much detail is unwise, but all we know is you had some kind of “crush” or obsession with someone and feel embarrassed about it. Or maybe I’ve completely misunderstood.

BlueBelle Sat 08-Dec-18 21:08:51

GrannyH you say you are over its so what ever ‘it’ was forget about it, hearing others stories won’t help you
Have a glass of vino, snuggle up to your husband and dream about your grandkids
And no most people on here aren’t nasty they will be very kind caring and helpful to anyone with a problem but let’s be honest yours isn’t a problem is it

Anniebach Sat 08-Dec-18 21:09:00

It means a crush? But you said crush in your post why give it such a strange name ?

Sorry but why do you need understanding for developing a crush ? It’s quite normal. Well I hope it is blush

Chewbacca Sat 08-Dec-18 21:14:55

GrannyH50 Sat 08-Dec-18 21:38:58

Another example of a belittling reply.

Bathsheba Sat 08-Dec-18 21:41:46

GrannyH I'd bow out gracefully if I were you. You haven't had the responses you wanted (whatever they were ?) so you may as well give up.

petra Sat 08-Dec-18 21:53:03

GrannyH
Have you heard the expression ^ when in a hole, stop digging^
Now is the time.

MawBroon Sat 08-Dec-18 22:05:50

Two harmless posts deleted on this very silly thread?
I did suggest OP might read through the one I gave a link to.
Other than that, what else is there to say?

Bathsheba Sat 08-Dec-18 22:24:44

I think, Maw we may have to dream up another tag word - the current one is triggering deletions methinks. Think I'll change into my pj's now wink

Ngaio1 Sat 08-Dec-18 22:36:36

Hello Granny, I saw this word for the first time the other day and had to check it up! I don't think the feelings have anything to do with our age but our emotions. If you have warm feelings for someone surely that means you are capable of feelings. Good for you! I am not sure why you need to feel embarrassed unless you made your feelings known.

crazyH Sun 09-Dec-18 00:51:16

I don't see why everyone's getting in a Tizz about it. I googled the word and it just means 'taking a fancy to someone'- what's wrong with that.....men and photo of 70+ are limerencing all over the place so why not someone in their 50s. Good luck !

crazyH Sun 09-Dec-18 00:51:57

not photo, women

MawBroon Sun 09-Dec-18 06:16:24

Then why the shame and embarrassment ?
Does that mean I’ll have to take down my David Cassidy posters?

Grandma70s Sun 09-Dec-18 06:22:09

I‘m another who has never heard the word before. It seems to mean ‘infatuation’, and it has no roots or etymology whatsoever. The inventor of the word (in 1979) admitted as much. I read the Wikipedia page about it. What a lot of meaningless nonsense. A quite unnecessary new word.

Yes, I have had infatuations on and off for most of my life, though not for many years now. It’s pretty harmless.

sodapop Sun 09-Dec-18 09:12:54

Oh dear, outside of politics I've never seen so many deleted messages in one thread.
I agree it seems a silly word to dignify a crush or fancy. It is harmless if you keep it under control and don't hurt anyone. It would be a dull world if nothing sparked our fancy now and again.