Gransnet forums

Relationships

Should I go on a playdate with Single Dad?

(40 Posts)
Nicola7722 Tue 01-Jan-19 10:32:43

Met this guy I knew from 20 years ago as he got in touch with me and asked me to meet up either on a playdate (he's a single dad) or on our own. I am a single mum.

I chose to meet without kids first time.

We got on really well and he suggested we meet again. No kissing involved so for now at least we are more like friends.

Should I meet him again would you advise that we meet on our own until I see where this is going eg to see if it is eventually going to turn into a relationship) ?

Thanks.

mumofmadboys Tue 01-Jan-19 11:09:25

It depends a bit how old your children are. If they are young you could meet in a park but if they are teenagers it is probably best just for the two of you to meet. Take it slowly and see how the relationship evolves. Good luck and wishing you every happiness.

BlueBelle Tue 01-Jan-19 11:21:46

Sure you haven’t wandered onto the wrong forum shouldn’t you be on Mumsnet ?

Nicola7722 Tue 01-Jan-19 11:22:35

Thanks mumof madboys. Kids are both 7/8 .girl and boy

MawBroon Tue 01-Jan-19 11:22:44

Do grown ups go on “play dates”?

Nicola7722 Tue 01-Jan-19 11:23:24

BlueBelle just wanted an opinion from here as I know thus website gives good advice about kids

MawBroon Tue 01-Jan-19 11:33:58

Do you mean a date or do you mean a play date for your kids?
“Play date” when applied to adults is too coy and twee.

Nicola7722 Tue 01-Jan-19 11:44:58

Playdate for our kids. It's basically myself and this guy meeting up at the playground to bring our kids to play

EllanVannin Tue 01-Jan-19 11:49:24

I suppose it's good to have both sets of children together. I'd give it a go and see how you all get on.

NotSpaghetti Tue 01-Jan-19 12:06:25

Yes. If your children are young enough for a park they will probably see this new person as just another adult who "belongs" to the other children. I doubt they'd think more than that.
And at least you'll see how the children get on.
Good luck.

Grannyknot Tue 01-Jan-19 12:07:12

Read the book "Thursdays in the Park" and subtract a few decades from the ages of the main players grin

I don't see what the problem is "boy meets girl" comes in many shapes and forms and if children are part of the equation, well, that's just part of life too.

Good luck with your new friendship!

Kalu Tue 01-Jan-19 12:20:38

A very well thought out approach to let the children get to know each other. This way, after a few play dates, the children will accept that you both meet up without them now and again.

Just take it slowly and follow your instinct as to where the friendship will lead. Good luck

MawBroon Tue 01-Jan-19 13:11:57

Only you can tell how you feel about him yet it might be very useful to see how he is with the children and theybwith him. It can say a lot about a person’s true character.
If you have any doubts after that, trust your instincts.

BlueBelle Tue 01-Jan-19 14:06:32

This really is something only you can answer unless you just want general advice which I m sure you already know
Go somewhere public not off the beaten path
Let friends or family know where you’re going
Make it very vague to the kids ( if they are involved) as you don’t want them making lifelong friends and then you decide you don’t like him so they lose their friends
Keep it to a short meeting for the first few time maybe an hour or two testing the water
See how he behaves with his kids if you do a kids date (although he may be on best behaviour)
Ask yourself why you didn’t end up with him twenty years ago
All normal common sense that you would have applied before you met the kids dad

Elegran Tue 01-Jan-19 14:14:06

Sorry to be facetious (must be the New Year influence) but my first thought was, "It depends what games the pair of you will be playing."

Nicola7722 Tue 01-Jan-19 14:16:27

BlueBelle thanks for your advice. 20 years ago I only knew him as 'one of the group' so we never went out on our own. Then we took different paths in life.

Buffybee Tue 01-Jan-19 14:17:06

My advise would be to meet him both on your own and at "play dates" with both yours and his children.
Don't rush into anything, see how things go for a couple of months before you start a relationship.
I hope it works out for you.

Nicola7722 Tue 01-Jan-19 14:25:22

Elegran We were only meeting at the playground so the kids could play together

Nicola7722 Tue 01-Jan-19 14:25:55

Buffybee good idea. Thanks.

Elegran Tue 01-Jan-19 14:29:33

Nicola7722 It was the title of the thread that I saw first!

Bridgeit Tue 01-Jan-19 14:39:12

If you don’t meet up again how will you find out where if any where it is going.
If you meet up with kids on occasion it allows you to introduce ‘ a friend’ without having to go into too much detail unless & until you ended up a relationship with this man , best wishes

Nicola7722 Tue 01-Jan-19 14:45:23

Elegran you are right...title a bit misleadingsmile

mumofmadboys Tue 01-Jan-19 14:51:15

Please let us know how it goes, if you want to.

Nicola7722 Tue 01-Jan-19 14:54:46

Mumofmadboys I definitely will

Riverwalk Tue 01-Jan-19 15:14:13

Why would you involve your children at this very early stage of dating? The fact that you're both single parents doesn't mean that the kids have to come along.