Gransnet forums

Relationships

Do I stay or go?

(28 Posts)
Sielha Tue 22-Jan-19 23:41:19

I have a huge dilemma that I suspect is not uncommon. We’ve been married 31 years, grown up kids, grandkids etc and now I just feel like I can’t stand him since he retired and had numerous, non serious health issues. I never envisaged having to encourage him to get up every day or to have a conversation with me. We barely talk and lead separate lives in the same house. I wonder whether I should make the break or stick with it for convenience. I’m not interested in another relationship but I just can’t bear what my own has become. I just want companionship, simply enjoyment in each other’s company but it seems that it’s an impossible dream! He does acknowledge that he’s become difficult to live with but how long do I accept this for? I do still love him but wonder how much longer I can go on, waiting for a change that I don’t think will happen.

PECS Mon 04-Feb-19 07:39:22

A difficult place to be. ?
You do not mention friends or family. Could you build in regular meet ups ..just for a change of scene? Did you have shared activities before DH retired..going to the pub, walking etc?
As others have said your DH does sound as if retirement has left him in identity limbo possibly causing a degree of depression. Whilst it is important for you to have your own social activities it would be helpful to find at least one you could do together. Would he do an afternoon at the pictures with you..out of the house, something to talk about maybe a bite to eat on the way home or a take away. Try all options before considering if leaving is your only option.

johnsam Mon 04-Feb-19 19:46:49

You said you've stayed with him for 31 years and it's now you wanna forge your path. Are you sure you actually stayed with him for 31 years or the 31 years stayed with you?