Gransnet forums

Relationships

Husband and my lurgy

(82 Posts)
megan123 Mon 28-Jan-19 08:34:09

What is it with men that they have to behave like 7 year olds and sulk, so selfish! I don't expect a fuss if I'm ill but being really poorly the very least your could expect is a cup of tea and toast. Mind you I've despaired about mine for the last 8 years since retirement.

As others have said Framilode make yourself a cup of tea and go back to bed and as soon as you feel up to it sit him down and speak to him about it. Don't overdo things or this lurgy will just drag on.

I hope you are soon feeling better flowers

TwiceAsNice Mon 28-Jan-19 08:27:26

What happened to in sickness and health. How selfish

Iam64 Mon 28-Jan-19 08:25:40

Sulking by adults is tedious and needs to be discouraged.
I don't want to sound shocked but I am, that it seems so many grown men are dependent on their wives to cook, clean and shop.
I can't add anything to the advice given by janeainsworth. Put yourself first, it isn't selfish its necessary

Nanagem Mon 28-Jan-19 08:08:15

My husband is just the same, I had got hit with the lurgy before Christmas and tried to carry on for a couple of days but then just couldn’t, I suffer with heart and breathing problems anyway, so was really feeling unwell. I have 2 adult children at home, though they work long hours, they did the basic loading dishwasher, and cooked basic meals, but OH did nothing just gave me the odd cup of tea and made snide comments. Day 3 he went out to tinker in the garage I decided I had better get up and try to put the house in order. Son came home to find me on the kitchen floor, OH came in to find me being taken out to the ambulance. I do think it scared him and he did take more care of me for a few days.

Point is, don’t feel pressured to do more than you feel you can, I broke one of my favourite plates when I hit the floor

janeainsworth Mon 28-Jan-19 07:54:12

Frankly, no. MrA has his faults as do we all, but being unkind and sulking if I am
laid low isn’t one of them.
You need to go into self-preservation mode. Get up, make yourself some tea and toast, go back to bed and ignore him.
Ignore the house and whatever you ‘need’ to do too.
If supplies run low order something online from a supermarket or ring a friend and ask them to bring you a few things.
I hope you feel better soon and don’t make yourself ill again by doing too much too soon, running round after your DH.

Anja Mon 28-Jan-19 07:51:42

Thank depends on you. If you are feeling better then get up for a couple of hours and potter around. If you still feel bad enough that you must stay in bed then he’s being unreasonable.

But then men are like this aren’t they?

You need to have a long talk with him. There might be times when, as none of us are getting any younger, when he might be laid up for one reason or another. Then how would he feel if neglected like this?

Framilode Mon 28-Jan-19 07:41:18

For the last few days I have had the awful virus that is going round. I have felt dreadfully unwell and have spent a lot of time in bed.

This was OK with him for the first couple of days but as time has gone on he has become dreadfully resentful and silent. Yesterday he didn't pop his head round the bedroom door to see if I wanted a drink until about 4 p.m.

The thing is I feel under pressure to get up and see to things around the house and cook for him etc. Does anyone else have this problem with their other halves? When I ask what is wrong he says 'nothing' but the atmosphere is so thick you could cut it with a knife.