Gransnet forums

Relationships

Valentine plans

(164 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Mon 11-Feb-19 21:38:18

Has anyone planned an exciting/romantic/sexy evening on Thursday, unbeknown to their partner/husband/lover?
Have you decided on your gift to him/her or is it already wrapped and safely hidden.
E-card or real card?
Have you planned a special outfit in case he springs a surprise dinner at a Michelin starred restaurant?
Will you be cooking a Valentine's £20 dinner for two from a supermarket?
Do tell.
I'll be at my OH's house where he says there will be no expense spared. We won't be having alcohol as neither of us drink and I have given heavy hints about the food I will eat. After 5 years, I think that message has sunk in.
My presents to him are a cashmere sweater and silver cufflinks engraved with his and my initials.
Over to you...

glammagran Tue 12-Feb-19 10:13:02

Meeting friends in Bath for a light lunch. Then we will have lobster starter with champers and steak for dinner with red wine at home. Don’t really do desserts or gifts but exchange cards. 39 years so far .....

Kim19 Tue 12-Feb-19 10:13:46

Ditto aggie.

Nannytopsy Tue 12-Feb-19 10:13:49

Thursday night is choir practice so we had a romantic meal at the weekend - I never know what day it is anyway! I have bought a card but now I need to find it!

Crazygran Tue 12-Feb-19 10:14:55

First Valentines with the new man in my life.
We met last December and am in love again at 64 ,so looking forward to the romance , you are never too old and don’t know what or who is around the corner.
Hope you all enjoy.???

Tweedle24 Tue 12-Feb-19 10:15:56

MOMB I wonder what sort of unexpected visitors would rummage in your knicker drawer?? LOL

LauraMeredith Tue 12-Feb-19 10:16:33

I did get a Valentine card from my OH this year which is the first in 31 years. Only because he couldn't find a birthday card for my birthday at the end of January so had to go for what they had!

Bunch Tue 12-Feb-19 10:16:44

Dogs never let you down do they Tooyungtobeagradma. If anything they are over attentive. Our little schnauzer, Frank, follows us from room to room even when you think he's fast asleep one eye is watching to make sure we don't escape! Love him..

Lindak Tue 12-Feb-19 10:17:34

I have bought a card and a small present for my husband he is not big on romantic gestures whereas I am but it something I have got used to after almost 25 years of marriage,I normally get flowers and a card.

Framilode Tue 12-Feb-19 10:18:48

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

sodapop Tue 12-Feb-19 10:19:48

Thats good news Crazygran hope you have lots of romantic times now.
I'm like Kittylester a card in my knicker drawer and that's as far as it goes. Usually I forget St Valentine and our wedding anniversary much to my husband's dismay. I always get flowers though.

sunseeker Tue 12-Feb-19 10:22:59

Getting together with a group of other widows and having a nice lunch - after that home and thinking of DH, probably a few tears but also a lot of smiles

Cabbie21 Tue 12-Feb-19 10:23:37

I gave DH a card the first year we were together but he told me he doesn’t do Valentine’s Day or Mothering Sunday, just birthday and Christmas. This year we will be apart anyway as he is visiting his daughter.
It is just a commercial opportunity. There are 365 days a year to show love and commitment, though romance is in short supply at our age.

Matriarch Tue 12-Feb-19 10:26:09

Thursday night will be the third night of the amateur play we are both involved with - DH has main part -I’m doing costumes , hair and make up . Although we have to be at the theatre early , we will go out for a meal together first . It will be our 34 th. Valentine’s Day as a married couple but we have been together since we were 16 !

Growing0ldDisgracefully Tue 12-Feb-19 10:27:26

Valentines Day is also our wedding anniversary (38 years), so we're having a day out including lunch. Just as well, our kitchen is in turmoil after DH has done some rewiring and all is coated in a layer of dust from cutting into the walls and replastering!
I cunningly suggested Valentine's Day for our wedding all those years ago, on the basis he'd have a job forgetting our anniversary in years to come!

sue01 Tue 12-Feb-19 10:27:34

It's our 50th Valentine's Day together... we're 49 years married in March. We'll wake up that morning in Leeds where we'll be visiting our Grandson in Uni. So I'll have brekker with two of the loveliest blokes I know. Bliss.

Pollyanna2 Tue 12-Feb-19 10:30:55

Did get a valentine card for DH once - and ended up keeping it for several years until one year he got one for me ( think I reminded him about it that year) - then he got the one I'd saved, and written, years ago!

Houndi Tue 12-Feb-19 10:33:18

We have been married 38byears but my husband always sends me a card with a lovely verse on.A bunch of red roses and a romantic meal in.Not so sure this year as have my brother lodging with me

Legs55 Tue 12-Feb-19 10:34:08

DH & I never bothered with Valentine's Day but he would surprise my with thoughtful gifts throughout the year. 6 years today I was widowed so unless my lovely DGS sends me a card it'll be a normal day

Luckylegs Tue 12-Feb-19 10:34:39

We are away in Portugal but DH got me to book at our favourite restaurant here and that’s it. I’ve had two cards, mine and his, in my card drawer for several years now and neither of us are bothered enough to write them but our 50th anniversary is on 29 March hmmso thats good enough I suppose.

JoJo58 Tue 12-Feb-19 10:35:22

We are normally away this week but this year went a week earlier, as I have my birthday on the 10th, today 12th we celebrate our 40th anniversary and then Valentines a week of celebrating for us, meals out with our children and Grand children and friends. so lots of cards and flowers fill the house, we tend not to buy gifts as we buy when we want although I did receive ruby and diamond earrings today.

EEJit Tue 12-Feb-19 10:35:34

We don't bother, it's Beloved's birthday and our wedding anniversary on Saturday, that's more important.

seadragon Tue 12-Feb-19 10:35:35

It was DH's 70th last year so we had a gathering of the clans in Cromarty in October with the gift from all of a posh telescope, followed by an overnight stay at a hotel with 5 course dinner and a local connoisseur's choice of wine with every course to celebrate (belatedly!) our meeting on Boxing Day 1967 (I was not well 2016 - mid 2018) so he might get a bottle of wine to go with a nice meal cooked by him on Thursday. I have a rather nice card for him hidden somewhere..... Oh dear...!!

Nannyme Tue 12-Feb-19 10:41:12

Ive added some flowers on the Ocado order for me, otherwise there will be nothing smile

Scribbles Tue 12-Feb-19 10:44:57

I'm with Cabbie's OH on this. My OH and I mark our own personal anniversaries and birthdays with gifts and/or special treats. If either of us feels like giving a little gift or making a "romantic" gesture at any other time, then we do. Our daughter was firmly told at a very young age that our household doesn't "do" Mothers' Day or Fathers' Day and she should not be spending her pocket money on such nonsense.

I can think of few things I'd want less than to be rammed into an overcrowded restaurant with overworked staff, trying to enjoy an over priced meal and straining to hear while my stressed out swain tried to proclaim undying love over the hubbub!

harrigran Tue 12-Feb-19 10:47:18

This will be our 56th Valentine's day, we exchange cards and will probably go out for lunch.