Gransnet forums

Relationships

Ignored when feeling ill

(47 Posts)
annep1 Sat 16-Mar-19 09:52:15

Felt nauseous Friday night at 1am. Asked husband to come in beside me and gave him eyemask so the light wouldn't annoy him. He lay down and closed his eyes.
After a while looked in bedside drawer for gaviscon and started to shake. Thought, this is panic attack (had one few weeks ago- first ever) so got paper bag went into hall and breathed in. Then went into other room did some slow counted breathing as recommended and started to feel better so I just stayed there. Rather than feel guilty for disturbing husband any further.. Nausea disappeared too. I told my husband next morning what had happened. He said Yes, I heard you rummaging about in the drawer. Glad you feel better.
Is it normal to ignore one's partner when they are feeling ill during the night. Am I being too sensitive?

Anja Sat 16-Mar-19 09:54:17

He was probably tired and half asleep at that time.

annep1 Sat 16-Mar-19 09:55:31

Thanks Anja.

Gonegirl Sat 16-Mar-19 10:00:14

My husband was just the same until recently. I think, now I'm a bit older, he likes to check I'm not actually dying. hmm

Gonegirl Sat 16-Mar-19 10:01:56

Although for all the coughing and moaning that went on last night (from me) I could well have been, and he said nothing. hmm

annep1 Sat 16-Mar-19 10:15:01

Oh dear Gonegirl how does he ignore you coughing loudly?
I can't ignore my husband if he's not feeling good. But I suppose you cant expect your partner to act as you would.
I do feel though if I am ever seriously ill during the night I won't have any help. ?
I hope you're feeling all right this morning? Take it easy..

Baggs Sat 16-Mar-19 10:27:12

It sounds as if you were coping really well with your nausea and panic, annep1. Your husband did what you asked him to do by "coming in beside you". That's not ignoring. Later, if he was awake and aware of everything, he may have felt there was nothing he could do to help. He may even have thought he'd be in the way if he interrupted. He said he was glad you were feeling better by morning. What else did you expect him to do?

glammanana Sat 16-Mar-19 10:31:34

I do hope you two ladies are feeling better now ?
My OH always shows concern if I am off colour he always has done, even down to the fact that I may not have had enough sleep when the ACs where small.

MissAdventure Sat 16-Mar-19 10:36:15

I think for something like nausea there is no point in both of you having a disturbed night..
blush
Probably I'm quite selfish, but what can someone else do about it?

Elegran Sat 16-Mar-19 10:37:27

If you are seriously ill during the night, you will make it quite obvious to him, I am sure. Nausea isn't a serious medical situation, and you seem to know how to avert the subsequent panic attack.

You felt guilty about disturbing him - maybe he felt that you were coping well, and once you were in the other room that he would be disturbing you if he followed you. Perhaps also he wondered why you were staying away from him after asking him to keep you company?

Do you take these nauseous turns often? If you find them worrying and long for company and support, it would be a good idea to sleep in the same room all the time, then he would be on hand all the time.

B9exchange Sat 16-Mar-19 10:38:29

If I have to rush to the bathroom more than four times in an hour, I will get the comment in the morning 'you were up a lot last night, are you okay?' but nothing at the time - but then there is nothing he could do.

On the occasion I got up too quickly, passed out and hit the floor with a thump, he did get out of bed that time! smile

EllanVannin Sat 16-Mar-19 11:01:02

Miserable as such a situation is, it's a darn sight worse for all those of us who are on our own if we happen to feel seedy.

annep1 Sat 16-Mar-19 11:35:07

Baggs in answer to your question I thought he might stay awake a while to see if I was ok. I have had about 4/5 episodes in last 5 years when my BP dropped very sharply.
But I get your point. That is quite possibly how my husband was thinking. And I was pleased I was able to control the attack myself.
We can't sleep together, health problems- not serious but disturbs sleep.
The consensus seems to be I am a bit sensitive. So thanks for comments.

Gonegirl Sat 16-Mar-19 11:38:26

Actually annep1 he's very good. I know my coughing (reflux cough) must disturb him but he doesn't complain. And I guess he knows there is nothing to be done. smile

annep1 Sat 16-Mar-19 11:43:42

EllenVannin I get what you're saying. At least you can search for painkillers and make as much noise as you want. But seriously I know its not nice to be alone when you're ill.

annep1 Sat 16-Mar-19 12:01:28

Thats good Gonegirl . Obviously picked you up wrong. My husband is good too - just not during the night. He used to get angry if I made even a little noise when he was sleeping or put the light on. I am generally patient.

Anja Sat 16-Mar-19 12:27:07

I’m not excusing his behaviour but my DH sleeps like a hibernating bear and if I wake him up for any reason he’s only half there and drops off again almost immediately.

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Mar-19 12:31:49

If one of us is coughing or sneezing they get banished to the spare room!
annep1 I hope you're feeling better now, perhaps he thought when you went to the other room that you wanted to be undisturbed.

I certainly woke my DH up last night as I turned over and got cramp in my leg and got out of bed to flex the leg, shouting 'Well, that was a rude awakening' which of course woke him too!
He turned over and went back to sleep.

annep1 Sat 16-Mar-19 12:59:11

Thanks Jalima. A rude awakening indeed!
It seems that most men are literally "dead to the world " at night.

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Mar-19 13:02:29

He did mutter 'You all right?'
Then reminded me to take some magnesium tablets this morning smile

annep1 Sat 16-Mar-19 13:08:27

Well that is very thoughtful Jalima.

crazyH Sat 16-Mar-19 14:43:43

Yes Ellan and have you noticed that nobody cares a 'darn' here either ?

annep1 Sat 16-Mar-19 16:17:43

What do you mean crazyH?

RosieLeah Sat 16-Mar-19 16:18:01

If you wake during the night in pain and obviously ill, you are perfectly justified in waking your partner and asking them to get the doctor. However, a nausea attack is not life-threatening and I think it's selfish to wake someone when you know there is nothing they can do.

Elegran Sat 16-Mar-19 16:32:17

And telling you that does not mean that "No-one cares a darn", so don't let crazyH's post get to you.