Gransnet forums

Relationships

Withholding Sex

(64 Posts)
rosecarmel Wed 17-Apr-19 10:18:48

It seems to be the consensus that when a woman withholds sex from her husband she is being manipulative - There couldn't possibly be another reason?

I call BS, but surely I could be mistaken -

What if a wife who had been emotionally manipulated for over a decade and verbally abused gradually reached a breaking point and no longer felt like having sex in that marriage dynamic anymore? Would her disinterest in having sex with him still be considered manipulative?

BradfordLass72 Wed 17-Apr-19 21:09:29

Davidhs Your posts make me laugh out loud. I cannot believe you genuinely think like this in 2019, so it has to be a wind-up. smile

But then............<sigh>

rosecarmel Wed 17-Apr-19 21:24:43

Mawbroom, I'm just as puzzled by your popo, fifth degree, Spanish Inquisition style questioning!

Can't say others got what I attempted to be seeking but took a stab at it anyway -- which I appreciate! It helped!

Urmstongran Wed 17-Apr-19 21:26:47

I think all this is a bit weird.
?

rosecarmel Wed 17-Apr-19 21:31:45

That's ok - smile

MawBroonsback Wed 17-Apr-19 21:33:48

I'm just as puzzled by your popo, fifth degree, Spanish Inquisition style questioning!

Then is it too much to ask for comprehensible English?

MawBroonsback Wed 17-Apr-19 21:34:42

This is all frankly bonkers.

Bathsheba Wed 17-Apr-19 21:35:18

Heavens, I've just opened this thread, read it through, and have come to the conclusion that I've landed in a parallel universe confused

MawBroonsback Wed 17-Apr-19 21:36:36

You and me both Bathsheba

rosecarmel Wed 17-Apr-19 21:41:11

You could while away the hours
Conferrin' with the flowers
Consultin' with the rain ..

And your head you'd be scratchin'
While your thoughts were busy hatchin' if ...

smile

NanaandGrampy Wed 17-Apr-19 21:53:18

Why did people ‘taking a stab at it’ help? rosecarmel ?

Help what exactly ?

MawBroonsback Wed 17-Apr-19 21:57:12

Becontree or Upney, N&G - beyond Barking!

Bridgeit Wed 17-Apr-19 22:13:44

She would not be being manipulative, she would at last be seeing the light ,taking to the hills , glad to not have to ‘perform ‘ in order to maintain the status quo in being cared for as long as she comes up with the goods.!
If she cannot for fear of violence or control this is so difficult but with more help & support available it can be done.

FarNorth Thu 18-Apr-19 00:56:52

It must be nice for the woman in question to have you as a friend, rosecarmel.
You are so logical and straightforward.

For those who don't know, BS = bovine excrement. Nuff said.

rosecarmel Thu 18-Apr-19 03:55:14

Bridgeit, I also believe that with ongoing help and support it can be done-

rosecarmel Thu 18-Apr-19 03:56:16

FarNorth, I'm doing what I can- smile

MawBroonsback Thu 18-Apr-19 04:13:04

Thank you Far North (for the explanation that BS (bull sh*t) it had simply -or fortunately grin - passed me by.

MawBroonsback Thu 18-Apr-19 04:17:32

And for clarification that this is not a hypothetical situation, but regarding a situation with a friend.
Was it really too much to ask? rosecarmel.

rosecarmel Thu 18-Apr-19 04:40:14

Mawbroomsback, to clarify, I'm not the least bit interested in providing you, specifically, with explanations- grin

But I'm thoroughly enjoying responding to your comments- I love thistle- I'm just not all that fond of the spines- thistle

kittylester Thu 18-Apr-19 06:54:28

To quite phoenix

kittylester Thu 18-Apr-19 07:15:23

Quote not quite

Kandinsky Thu 18-Apr-19 07:53:31

Withholding sex just to be mean is manipulative - not wanting sex because you’re married to an abusive pig is completely understandable.
And if you’re having sex with someone just to ‘keep the peace’ you’re the one being manipulated / abused.
If your partner is lovely but you just don’t fancy him anymore & really can’t be bothered to have sex because, well.....you just can’t be bothered - then you’re being mean.

So many possibilities.

MawBroonsback Thu 18-Apr-19 22:16:46

But I'm thoroughly enjoying responding to your comments- I love thistle- I'm just not all that fond of the spines - thistle
Explains the prickly responses. hmm

rosecarmel Fri 19-Apr-19 05:22:22

Mawbroom, I enjoy meta-discussion, too- It's entertaining to read - There's the leader's slapstick style questioning, the followers dysfunctional group think responses - It breaks up the seriousness of any thread - It's fun - But what's lovely is despite the cacophony of "it", it doesn't detract anything from the intelligent responses to the OP -- all of which have proven helpful, both for myself and my friend as well - smile

Bridgeit Fri 19-Apr-19 22:39:59

Seriousness of a thread doesn’t need to be broken up.
But how delightful it is for us to know that You & your friends Rosecaramel were helped by the lovely ladies on GN especially as it is so obvious help is definitely need. Mature grown ups such as GNetters , are very obliging & helpful we seen & heard it all before. ?

SparklyGrandma Fri 19-Apr-19 22:44:16

A relative of mine in a tempestuous marriage decided at around age 56 to end the sexual aspect of her marriage. They have separate bedrooms but are happy. It’s still a marriage.