Gransnet forums

Relationships

Over sensitive?

(60 Posts)
Anne107 Thu 09-May-19 08:03:38

I have to have cardio angiogram with possibly 3 stents this Friday- i was supposed to have this last week Friday but after waiting all day in ward with two other ladies we eventually were sent home due to the amount of emergencies of people coming in with heart attacks. My son had arranged to collect me from the hospital although I still would have no one staying with me overnight. He only lives practically across the road with his wife and three children who I adore but always feel I must make appointment before I knock or wish to see the grandchildren- I can accept that - but I feel hurt he was unable to collect me this Friday. He said it was difficult- I was speaking to him last night and he was saying he had yesterday off & has today off and Saturday off but could not get Friday off - I cannot help feeling hurt. Mind you the hospital have now arranged for me to stay overnight which in a way I am relieved as at least there are staff there to keep eye out. I know it’s not a major op but still feel hurt - do you think I am overthinking/ over sensitive?

Madgran77 Mon 13-May-19 21:31:21

..."pick you up...!"

Madgran77 Mon 13-May-19 21:30:38

I can't quite believe that this thread has got to the OPs son losing his job, leading an impoverished life or giving up his job to look after his mother! The poor bloke just couldn't pick his mum up from hospital one Friday. Unfortunately the OP does not know why, a piece of information that might have helped her to not feel hurt!

Anne you are understandably feeling sensitive and vulnerable. I hope your op goes ok. Maybe have a chat with your son re why he couldn't puck you up if it still worries you. I personally wouldn't if it was me , I would just let it pas and thank hm for what he does do. flowers

Summerlove Mon 13-May-19 21:16:07

Houndi, How lovely that you were in a place of privilege that you were able to do that. Not everyone can.

It sounds Like the sun in the situation had had the previous Friday off when the operation was originally planned. He tried. Things changed, and he burned a vacation day, and now he couldn’t use another. These things happen. I see no evidence at all that he is a neglectful person to his mother.

Anne, I hope all went as it should and that you are feeling well.

BlueBelle Mon 13-May-19 20:45:16

I m sorry your having to have an op Anne and can understand your apprehension it might be routine but must still be very scary
I understand you being disappointed I know my daughter who lives nearest me wouldn’t let me go to an op alone however busy she was. And she would insist I stayed the first night at hers If he has three days off now couldn’t he try to change one to Friday
I couldn’t have let my Mum (or Dad) go for an op alone
Not sure how one pick up after an op equates to being at a mums beck and call

annep1 Mon 13-May-19 20:12:06

Everyone can't give up work to look after a parent. It's just not practical. And for some it's not a sacrifice at all. But some do less than they could.

M0nica Mon 13-May-19 19:20:30

We must agree to differ.

Gonegirl Mon 13-May-19 18:28:42

I don't think Houndi inferred that at all Monica. I think she was simply describing her own situation.

agnurse Mon 13-May-19 17:53:17

Here's the thing: that one unauthorised day off is considered, by some employers, to be an abandonment of the job. Meaning the son loses his job. Meaning it's going to be difficult for him to get a reference as he is seen as being unreliable. Meaning his family suffer.

M0nica Mon 13-May-19 17:28:22

Gonegirl That is not what I said. Houndi said how she gave up her job to look after her mother and inferred that is what the son should be prepared to do if that should become necessary. I was pointing out that that would lead to his family living an impoverished life.

Gonegirl Mon 13-May-19 17:27:46

And I doubt if Jesus meant an adult child should never put themselves out to help their old mum when she really needed it.

Gonegirl Mon 13-May-19 17:16:54

And what about "Honour thy father and thy mother"? That's in the bible too.

Gonegirl Mon 13-May-19 17:16:20

"Made to live an impoverished life"! Because of taking one unauthorised day off to get his mum from hospital.

Don't be daft. hmm

M0nica Mon 13-May-19 15:47:07

Houndi, some people simply cannot do that. This son has a wife and children are they to be made to live an impoverished life because o fhis devotion to his mother?

The bible sums it up succinctly Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. His family come first.

Families also work differently. Some, often those who have lived close to each other all their lives, will have a pattern of frequent visits and unarranged calls, but others where families are more spread out and have moved around find ways of being close that do not involve constant visits and regular care.

Every family works out its own way of working. Not being at a parents's beck and call and not giving up a job and possibly a career does not mean that you care any less for your parents than anyone who can manage this level of care.

annep1 Mon 13-May-19 13:41:24

Houndi a mother is a special person. We all saw our mum as often as possible. I would give anything to have her back. We were both fortunate to have a good relationship, not everyone is. But a lot of people may regret in the future not giving their mum more time and attention.

agnurse Mon 13-May-19 13:36:02

Here's the thing. The son has a wife and children. They need to come first. If he takes unauthorized leave he could lose his job. Then he can't provide for them.

He took what time off he could.

Gonegirl Mon 13-May-19 10:32:02

I like your post Houndi. flowers

Houndi Mon 13-May-19 09:38:08

I cannot understand family like this when my mum was ill who died last March i gave up work to be with her
Before she was ill i rang her every day ment out with her once a week and visted 2 to 3 times a week
Blood is thicker than water my mom always came first perhaps because i really loved her and she love me

M0nica Sun 12-May-19 21:45:19

Although most employers are compassionate, still leave can be difficult. DD had a job where there was a statutory duty on her employer to provide a certain level of service and leave was strictly controlled and had to be booked well in advance and while I am sure they would have given leaveno matter what, if either of us was rushed to hospital and at death's door, but unplanned leave to do a hospital run, when that day's leave was all taken up by others, would have been very doubtful.

I love visiters, but expect them to give notice they want to call in, whether children or more distant relations.

Dawn22 Sun 12-May-19 21:03:02

Sorry l see it is BBC Northern Ireland if anyone has that.
Dawn

Dawn22 Sun 12-May-19 20:57:20

Hi Anne
I do really hope you got over your procedure well and that your transport problem was sorted out. Thinking of you and hoping you are doing well and on the mend.
Very best from Dawn

Nanny41 Fri 10-May-19 18:16:31

I can understand your original disappointment, but it seems to be resolved, thankfully.
I expect you are anxious about the treatment you are about to have, this is natural, and things may seem worse, but your Son is off on Saturday,and I am sure he will willingly pick you up from Hospital after you have had a good nights rest.Good Luck with the op.

blue60 Fri 10-May-19 11:56:32

People can't always make arrangements to suit you. While I sympathise with you, I also understand how difficult life can be when you have a family and unwell parents. Sometimes I have spread myself too thin, trying to please and be helpful.

Can you not get a taxi, or ask if there's an ambulance service?

Starlady Fri 10-May-19 10:38:35

Anne, I'm so sorry you have to have this procedure and wish you a speedy recovery! I agree with PPs that DS can't help the fact that he can't change his work schedule on such short notice, but also agree with those who say you're sensitive about it b/c you're feeling vulnerable. I'm sure once all this is behind you, you'll see things in a much better light.

It's lovely that DS and family live right across the street! I get the impression, however, that you feel that should mean you can just pop in any time you like. Not necessarily though - some people hate drop-ins! I know I do. Perhaps you're ok with them, but DS/DIL might not be. I don't think it's any worse to have to make a date to see them when they live so close than it would be if they lived at a distance. Please just enjoy the time with them that you do get.

Meanwhile, I also feel for everyone else here who has been through this kind of operation or had to see a loved one through it...

BradfordLass72 Fri 10-May-19 06:35:21

What's wrong with being oversensitive and overthinking at this time?

You're under a great deal of strain, exacerbated by the delay in your operation and all the messing about, albeit that the hospital clearly had no choice.

If that isn't stress I don't know what is grin. You're entitled to feel a bit vulnerable.

By the time you read this, your operation will, I hope, be all over and you'll be relaxing in the tender care of the cardio ward staff.

Take it easy when you get home and I hope it gives you a new lease on life. flowers

Nandalot Thu 09-May-19 23:00:38

Good luck for tomorrow and best wishes for a speedy recovery. As your son was going to collect you last week, I am sure he would have done so this week if he could.