Gransnet forums

Relationships

Selfish partner

(54 Posts)
seasider Mon 20-May-19 21:02:19

This is a small issue but it really annoyed me. I don't like sausages or hot dogs but I do like Marks and Spencer Posh dogs . Not cheap though at £4 for six. DP will eat the really cheap ones and thinks M&S are a waste of money.
So I bought posh dogs for the three of us which we were going to have in buns with chips and sides . They are big and meaty so two is enough for anybody. I came home from work to find DP had eaten three so one of us misses out ! To add insult to injury I had defrosted something else for tea. Just typical of his selfish behaviour

Saggi Tue 21-May-19 13:27:55

My husband would never take food from the fridge without making sure it wasn’t needed for our tea that night. He’s even phoned me to ask if the ‘pork pie is going begging’ as we call it. Obviously ordinary stuff like choccy biscuits ...leftovers....salad stuff doesn’t need inquiry....but anything he’s not sure if he will always ask. It’s how you’re brought up I think, both his mum and mine had ‘charge’ of the food in the house...money was tight and self restraint a must!

H1954 Tue 21-May-19 13:33:50

I've sent a PM seasider.

M0nica Tue 21-May-19 13:45:02

I really think some people just do not think (male and female). In this case, he feels hungry,goes to the fridge, helps himself to what is at the front of the fridge and eats it. He probably doesn't even notice what it is or the brand or anything else.

At least that is my experience. I suggest you put anything you want for something special at the back of the fridge. My experience 'looking' never goes further than what can be seen on opening a cupboard, or tell him specifically what he is not to eat and why. Then if he does eat it you really will have cause for complaint

Tillybelle Tue 21-May-19 14:55:03

seasider
"Unfortunately it's quite common. He will take what he wants with no regard for others . It's quite embarrassing.."
I'm so very sorry you are living with this. It may be no comfort but, as people are saying, it isn't that uncommon as far as my experience has taught me. I have closely known several men and one woman like it.

Once I took lunch to my friend who was quite badly ill in bed. I left the food to warm and the salad on the work top and went to see her upstairs in bed. I came down and her Clergyman husband was there. I had bought two avocados to share on the salad between the three of us. One had gone. I asked if he had seen it. No he said. I said, did he eat it? No he said, angrily with bits od mushy green on his teeth. I said I would cut the remaining one in two and share it between his wife and me as I knew he had eaten all of the other one. He was raging with anger, his fists were clenched and shaking. He never forgave me and did some very terrible things indeed to me later on.

I shared a room with the woman on a holiday so she would have company because she wanted to be there with her DD and SIL. Even when I begged her to leave me a towel in the morning of the last day, I awoke to find she had used all three bath towels which were soaking wet. She would put all her café and restaurant spending on the room number and at the end she said we should split it in two. I had used it about twice for a cup of coffee. The men I experienced were the same. On a holiday which was meant for me to rest because of my fibromyalgia, I used to have to get dressed without a shower and use the public loo before getting to breakfast because he hogged the bathroom, and I had to do any errands needed for him.

Selfish people are not uncommon. Unreasonable behaviour is the same as with telling lies. We, who would never do such things, naturally do try and find reasons like is he on the Autistic spectrum for the behaviour.

But Autistic people do not behave quite like this - I have studied Autism. If you think about how people who are greedy and selfish and do not consider others operate, you will say they just think of themselves. That is the central point. Their lives, to them, are about getting what they want, not thinking about others. Other people are just there to serve them.

I was being treated so badly by a selfish man that it was affecting my health. He did the things Opalsusanna1 describes and many more. He changed what he had said and made "rules" all the time like "Never, ever, say to me 'I will think about it'" I hadn't said this but he kept stabbing me on my shoulder and shouting it in my face in a pub at lunch.
I sought help from my Team Leader, a Psychiatrist with whom I had worked before retirement on a research project into Autism. He asked if he may send my descriptions of all the things this man did and said to me to a colleague who, he said, "is an expert in this condition and has done an enormous amount of research. He is retired now but works for a charity who help the Victims of these people." The result was that Autistic Spectrum was definitely not the reason. It was something quite different. It was more threatening and less likely to change or respond to help.

The selfish people I know get worse with age. If you are really unhappy now, I would suggest you think about how to get away. Life is short. We don't need to spend our precious last years giving them up to the self-centred egoists who do not value us but abuse us, who cannot love us since they only think of themselves. Your life will only get worse as you, with all the aches and pains of old-age, have to pander to this self-interested person.

If, however, his selfish acts are not so bad and you can cope with them and in other ways he is kind and thoughtful, is considerate towards you, supports you emotionally and is good company, then just accept his imperfections and enjoy the good things.

I wish you everything that is good in your life and most of all happiness.

Tillybelle Tue 21-May-19 15:07:36

Saggi. Oh what a gem he is! You have reminded me of my three girls and I after their father died. With such things as a cake, nobody would eat the last slice! Instead we would cut it in half, in half again and then leave it...
I always found these little bits of dry cake melted my heart as I knew my children had not wanted anyone to be disappointed when looking in the cake tin and finding the cake had been all eaten up!

Tillybelle Tue 21-May-19 15:10:46

Sorry I'm here again but I really had to put this lovely poem up:

“This Is Just To Say,”

I have eaten

the plums

that were in

the icebox

and which

you were probably

saving

for breakfast

Forgive me

they were delicious

so sweet

and so cold

by William Carlos Williams - 1883-1963
Williams published in 1934:

Opalsusanna1 Tue 21-May-19 16:27:56

I'm using this poem as part of a workshop tomorrow Tillybelle. I love it too - we're looking at poems based on notes and letters. I love the 'forgive me ' line. My husband wouldn't have said that, nor would he have left a note - just think if had; he could have written one of the greatest modernist poems about pie ever.

monkeywings123 Tue 21-May-19 16:28:36

Exactly the same here Opal. . I could've written your post!!!

Gonegirl Tue 21-May-19 16:49:23

seasider I hope you and the third person had one -and-a- half each (with a bit of bacon to make up for your loss), and that you gave him an empty bun.

Gonegirl Tue 21-May-19 16:50:40

Humph! (poem) I wouldn't have forgiven him. Selfish irk.

Gonegirl Tue 21-May-19 16:51:56

Perhaps we all think our husbands are a little bit autistic. And our sons.

EmilyHarburn Tue 21-May-19 16:59:12

I have just been on a holiday abroad to an African country. I take a stick and on this occasion booked assisted help at the airport as my agent got it wrong and it would cost money to cancel it. On the trip was a lady using 2 sticks. Though she had been on the same trip before she seemed to have no idea how to minimise her disability ie. by eating down stairs whilst the rest of the party went up to the roof. Finally the guide bought her a wheel chair!! And then pushed her when he could. I am not going to go on. I hope as I grow older and more infirm I will never behave in this way. But who knows? A friend of mine will be going to Lourdes where she is registered on the trip as needing hospital support. This is quite different. I am hoping as I grow older to recognise what I am capable of as an independent person and so enjoy holidays within my limitations.

Gonegirl Tue 21-May-19 17:03:58

Are you on the wrong thread EmilyH?

ayokunmi1 Tue 21-May-19 18:13:57

My soon to be ex husband.
Is like this does not give two hoots about others so selfish so so selfish .I do think that he is high functioning aspie especially as i have an autistic daughter by him.and looking at his brother the same selfish traits really selfish bunch and mean spirit

Mcrc Tue 21-May-19 18:15:53

You all sound so unhappy. Maybe get counseling, leave or try to focus on his positive attributes. There are reasons why we're with somebody. DH and I drive each other crazy some days and I realize some stuff is just "so not worth it".

Merryweather Wed 22-May-19 00:00:33

I think I most definitely have one in a million by my side. He wouldn't dream of doing this, in fact, quite the opposite. He would leave the posh sausages for me, knowing I would enjoy them. I do the same for him. It's mutual respect for each other, isn't it?
I feel quite sad to know some of you live with such inconsiderate men.
Do they have endearing personality traits to compensate for this?
Why have you stayed for so long? Why do you continue to do so? Do you love him?

FWIW, he's snoring loudly by my side, maybe one in a thousand.

seasider Wed 22-May-19 07:57:25

Thanks for your responses everybody. I thought I was being a bit petty. Nice to know I am not the only one with a partner like this . I guess I will have to tell him when food is for a specific meal but At 60 years old I expect him to know or at least think about it.
He likes a drink at home . I won a bottle of rum ,before Christmas, which I thought could be a gift or we could share with friends who enjoy a rum coffee. When I realised he had drunk half the bottle I took some out and watered down the rest. He never noticed! I would not have had any otherwise.
He does suffer with depression too which I think also adds to his self centred attitude.
Thanks for the poem . Not sure I would forgive the writer!

seasider Wed 22-May-19 08:00:54

Tillybelle it sounds like nobody had ever challenged your friend's husband . What a nasty man! X

Sara65 Wed 22-May-19 08:06:22

This is frivolous by comparison, I keep a little jar of treats for the children, funnily enough, it seems to empty itself!
Seriously though, I don’t think I could live with someone who was so disrespectful

MawBroonsback Wed 22-May-19 08:27:35

It may seem petty but there is a lack of communication in a relationship where one so clearly goes off and does his own selfish thing.
You need to talk this through, he may just be selfish and unaware, but if the relationship is not to do downhill, giving him a chance to see his failings and try to address his self centred behaviour might be at least worth a try.

Eloethan Wed 22-May-19 08:47:58

seasider Your comment "He does suffer with depression too, which I think also adds to his self centred attitude" got me thinking. Is he selfish because he is depressed, or is he depressed because he is selfish? My comment isn't meant to imply that all people suffering with depression are selfish - indeed some people care so much about the welfare of those around them and the world in general that they find it difficult to be happy. But there are people who are so self-centred that they rarely experience the pleasure of making other people happy.

BradfordLass72 Wed 22-May-19 09:52:16

Reading these posts, I wonder why those living with selfish people and now, one presumes, in old age, have been unable to curb or change this tendency.

Was there nothing you could do to stop them?

Perhaps I'm being too dogmatic but they wouldn't last long if they lived with me. Not in comfort anyway. grin

Tillybelle Wed 22-May-19 13:51:12

I get the impression that seasider does try to talk about the selfishness issues, because it has been going on a long time. People hardly ever make no comment as the meal they were preparing for friends is ruined by the theft of the main ingredients or the wine is drunk without sharing etc. I had taken for granted that seasider has tried to tell her husband that this is wrong.

Is this so, seasider? Have you tried to talk to him about his selfish behaviour? If so, how did it go?

Tillybelle Wed 22-May-19 13:59:04

Sorry - Should have added:

Depression is not an excuse.
I am sorry he is depressed.
Many of us are depressed. The vast majority of depressed people still think of others regarding sharing and not hogging everything to themselves.
Incidentally, I still keep my education going regarding the post-retirement charity work I did. I have just learned that a certain group of people often get depression because they are not getting their own way or not getting it as often as they want. The main feature of this group is being self-obsessed. Literally, I studied this section in the research reports about only three days ago! What a coincidence.

Gonegirl Wed 22-May-19 14:02:40

I agree with Merryweather. Only bit I don't go along with is "I do the same for him".