Gransnet forums

Relationships

AIB too suspicious - I don’t want to make a fool of myself!

(138 Posts)
Gma29 Wed 05-Jun-19 14:50:43

My OH had an affair last year, which lasted a few months, until I confronted him about it. When I made it plain I wasn’t “sharing” he ended it. It’s been difficult for me to try and forget it, especially as he still sees her at work.

Recently while on holiday, I overheard the end of a conversation (that he’d gone out on the balcony to make), and the bit I heard really concerned me. It was clearly to a woman, and one he knows very well at that. Initially he said he couldn’t remember who he was speaking to, then claimed it was a mutual friend (I know now it wasn’t).

I have looked at the phone bill on our return, and see that he has been making regular calls and texts to this woman over the last 2 months. I have a number, but that is all.

It’s made more difficult by us spending quite large amounts of time apart, as he goes boating and keeps a small flat near his boat, while I prefer to stay at home. It means I don’t know all his friends - or what he’s doing, but this never bothered me until last year, as I trusted him then.

How do I approach this? He’ll think looking at the bill was sneaky (which it was, a bit), I don’t want to accuse him without being sure, and the only other thing I can think of is to ring the woman. What I would say, who knows! Any advice would be appreciated.

Jaycee5 Fri 07-Jun-19 13:59:41

Gma29 That sounds sensible. Whatever happens, you need to be in control and knowing how the finances are and what you are entitled to are essential. Good luck.

DanniRae Fri 07-Jun-19 14:01:20

Don't be annoyed with yourself Gma29 - you've done nothing wrong! You are dealing with a situation that no one wants to have to deal with. Be kind to yourself - you are the innocent party. If you feel at a loss as to what to do for the best it's understandable - most people would feel the same. Just do as you have said and get a grip on your finances. Take it one step at a time so you don't get overwhelmed and keep saying to yourself "I am the innocent person in this and I will be ok - no matter what occurs. I CAN COPE!!"
Best Wishes - We are all here for you - Danni x

JoJo58 Sat 08-Jun-19 19:18:12

Gma29 I feel for you I have been there, I checked the phone bill and like you saw calls and text to the same number, due to the fact he had turned off all ring and text tones, but was always going into his office upstairs and taking on extra meetings, if it is on his mobile that you checked has he got a name to the number if so hide your outgoing number make a call see if you recognise the voice pretend to be looking for some one else sit and think about it write some ideas down, I knew who my husband was calling it took me a year to finish it for reasons tooo long to go into, I had to watch my husaband go down hill we are still together 10 years on so good luck hope you get it sorted to your end.

Starlady Sun 09-Jun-19 09:32:14

Why annoyed w/ yourself, GMA? Youve done nothing wrong.

Kitty1951 Sun 09-Jun-19 12:28:44

He’s still seeing her. Boating? I don’t think so! Don’t be a mug throw him out.

Juicylucy Sun 09-Jun-19 12:43:12

Private detectives charge £125 to give you name address and any other info that can find from just a phone number. Also put the number in your contacts on your phone and then go to what’s app and she may have a photo next to her number so you know what she looks like if you are going to stake out the flat. Please let us know how you get on we are all here for you x

Blinko Sun 09-Jun-19 12:56:15

Gma29* remember the old saying, 'Don't get mad, get even'. You have nothing to berate yourself for.

Fairydoll2030 Mon 01-Jul-19 15:42:51

It seems to me that your OH may be stringing along the other woman, hence he contacted her (within your earshot) to confirm that he was leaving you after your holiday. Why would he need to do that if it had already been agreed. He.s playing a dangerous game.
Personally, I would confront him with as much ‘evidence’ as you have. Sooner or later the truth will out.
Good luck.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 05-Jul-19 20:10:10

It doesn’t sound good, I would get legal advice first. And then go over to the flat unannounced. My heart goes out to you. I know I wouldn’t share anyone. Life is too short to be treated like this. You are worth so much more. Good luck

Tweedle24 Fri 05-Jul-19 20:34:09

I am afraid you have married a womaniser through and through, My first husband was asked to leave when I found out he was having an affair with a neighbour. I actually gave him two hours to get packed and go. We had a daughter who had just had her twelfth birthday.
Since then, I have discovered that he had been having affairs all through our marriage. He even continued having affairs after he seemed to have settled with a very nice woman who had been told that our marriage had broken down because of my affairs!
Don’t give him any more chances. He really is not worth it and you are worth so much more. Once trust has gone, you will never feel happy in your relationship with him. Good luck,

Norah Fri 05-Jul-19 21:01:18

Advise from solicitor. Change locks. Bin his possessions.

scotsmist Sun 07-Jul-19 19:32:21

He’s still cheating on you. From what you said he really doesn’t care all that much if he gets caught. He’s leaving evidence of phone numbers, making calls around you on the balcony. After him cheating initially, calls on the balcony are suspicious right off the bat.