Gransnet forums

Relationships

Son, grandson, DinL

(84 Posts)
EllanVannin Tue 11-Jun-19 09:25:33

If the SiL has a highly paid job then he'll have to be prepared to " pay out ". Some lawyers make a bee-line in forcing money from high-earners until their pips squeak and if your son isn't careful he'll lose out, property-wise and also maintenance too.
Equality still doesn't always exist where the law is concerned.

DiL could be bi-polar due to perhaps PND which may have been left untreated ? I suggest she visits her GP as her unwillingness to work could be more of a depressive state considering that she has a degree. A job would do her good ! Someone who uses facebook ( another curse ) to berate others definitely needs treatment, as it's not normal.

Septimia Tue 11-Jun-19 09:24:34

We've been through a similar thing. Details of that aren't important here, just advice.
Yes, try to keep matters amicable, take legal advice but do as much as possible between themselves, make sure that the residence/visiting arrangements for your GS (our GC are 50/50 with each parent) are acceptable and that all the financial and other arrangements are tied up firmly. Some flexibility is good if it can be achieved.
Haven't forgiven our ex-DiL, but we remain neutral about her with the GC.
Given what you've said, I don't recommend reconciliation. Our DS took time to recover but is much happier now.

Luckygirl Tue 11-Jun-19 09:22:51

However much you dislike your DIL, it is important not to voice this too vociferously as sometimes couples do get back together and these words cannot be unsaid. Also you do not want her to stand in the way of you having contact with your GC. I do hope this can be resolved with the least rancour possible.

Funny thing about the label.....there are an awful lot of "narcissistic" MILs and mothers on Mumsnet! grin

Iam64 Tue 11-Jun-19 08:54:09

It's possible your son and daughter in law may reconcile.
It's also possible they may be able to reach agreement about contact, residence and finances. I hope so because involving solicitors is expensive, though often very necessary.
Try not to let your dislike of your daughter in law be at the forefront here. She will always be your grandson's mother. Separation and divorce are always hard for children and the most important thing is that their parents do the best they can to be amicable, friendly and pleasant when they're together and when talking about each other.

Ginny42 Tue 11-Jun-19 08:41:10

Whatever the cause it's clear your son is unhappy in that marriage. They have been married for 13 years and any time cohabiting before the marriage will be added to that. That being the case, it's considered a long marriage and the normal starting point is a 50/50 share of all assets.

However, a priority for the judge will be a roof over the head of your GS, so that means a roof over her head too as I presume she's the main carer at present. However, the judge would also want to see that she is doing her utmost to find employment to maximise her contribution.

If your son is set on divorce he should seek legal advice, but also try to keep things as amicable as possible. The most important reason being so that his DS doesn't experience excessive conflict between his parents but also to save money. It's cheaper in the long run if they can sort things out between themselves then have it ratified by the court.

I can see how this is causing you a great deal of distress, but as Stella says, tread warily as to antagonise your DiL may have consequences with regard to access to your GS.

sodapop Tue 11-Jun-19 08:29:07

I agree BluBelle so many labels attached to behaviour now. As you say there do seem to be a lot of daughters in law with mental health problems out there.

BlueBelle Tue 11-Jun-19 08:20:00

Narcissistic is the new flavour of the month There seem to suddenly be many daughter in laws in this category
There’s always two sides to the story and you will only want to see the one, it’s natural but it may not be as one side-saddle as you see it

stella1949 Tue 11-Jun-19 02:06:30

As a mother and grandmother, of course we always take our own children's side in these matters. It does sound as if your DIL has been a toxic presence in your son's life, and he has now moved on.

He needs to see a lawyer and to make sure everything is sorted with the upcoming divorce. Your DIL will certainly have to get a job now, since she can't expect to live off him any more ,and no divorce settlement would award her any maintenance money since she just has the one child who is at school.

Your son will also have to come to an agreement about custody of his son and maintenance for the boy. his lawyer can advise him about those matters.

In the meantime, the best thing you can do is to support your son but to keep out of any other matters involving your DIL. You don't want to jeopardize any contact that you want to have with your grandson - divorce can change your access to him so step carefully.

Best wishes to you.

Nanapples Tue 11-Jun-19 00:07:06

Hi, I've just joined, because I need to share, but I'm limited where I'm able to. And among people outside family and friends, I feel, is the best place.

Anyway, basically, we have never got along with out DinL, but accepted she was our sons choice, and smiled our way over the years.

But, although they have been married for almost 13 years, and have a 9, almost 10 yr old son, our son has finally come to the realisation that his wife has been controlling him all along. She had jealousy issues with her own sister over the years, and eventually cut herself off from her own family, and tried to exasperate my sons jealousy of his sister, driving many wedges between them, which, thankfully, our daughter would mend over time. Apart from that, our son had many issues with her, controlling who he sees, and when, and making life difficult for him if he didn't toe the line. He has saved a number of Watsapp messages from over the years that back this up. And apparently she "accidentally" deleted their messages recently so it's just as well.

Our son, after talking with friends, has realised that his relationship with his wife is toxic, she ticks most of the boxes for a narcissist. And, a week last Friday he moved into a rented flat, she has since badmouthed him on Facebook, and to my brother, who I'm not terribly close to either. Not due to fallouts, but because we are very different. He seems to be listening to her more than us.

Anyway, it is finally accepted by our son that her weird "jokes" were just her way to put us down, and not just us interpreting her incorrectly.

Our son is connecting more with his sister, which he wasn't allowed to before. And after just spending the weekend visiting her, it wasn't overshadowed by the thoughts, "have I mentioned this to him?" "Will he have issues?" But, because we 3 are in a family room on Watsapp, he already knew, chatted with us, and is fine with it.

Since our grandson was born, almost 10 yrs ago, she's not had to go out to work, as out son is reasonably highly paid. He has tried to encourage her to go back to work, as she has a degree, they met at Uni, but she's shown no interest, even recently there was a recruitment fair locally, he sent her a link to, and when he asked her about it, she just said she hadn't realised that was what it was.

Now he's moved out, and considering divorce, she's starting to panic, she has no income of her own, and is starting to clutch at straws.

I know people will think I support him because he's our son, and I don't know her side, but, if anyone can take a moment to research any things regarding "living with a narcissist" you'll see how it was for him, and we can see the difference with him in just a few weeks.

Anyway, thanks for being here for me to share this. And if you have read this far, thank you again.

Sometimes you just need to offload, but there's not always a listening ear to share with. Especially when trying to explain that our 6ft5in son is in an abusive relationship with his 5ft1in wife. But, if the genders were reversed no one would question that it's an abusive relationship. one