Gransnet forums

Relationships

No family nearby

(77 Posts)
NannyB2604 Wed 19-Jun-19 23:02:12

This is just me letting off steam, no sympathy expected.
It just struck me today, how isolated I am from my immediate family. DS, DiL and DGD live abroad, 1000s of miles away (though we communicate regularly and visit each other whenever we can); DB and his family about 100 miles away and all have busy lives, very little free time for visits or even just chatting; DS and her family live in Kent (we're in Yorkshire) and as DS has a job and doesn't drive, and train fares being as they are, has visited us up here less than half a dozen times in 30 odd years. When we visit her, which we have done several times, we have to stay in a hotel as she lives in a tiny flat (those ridiculous southern property prices!).
Is this other people's experience or are we just a weird family?
As I said, not looking for answers or sympathy, but just wondering about others' family experiences.

NanaSuzy Wed 01-Jan-20 09:48:20

We lived a lonely life in our working days, DH's family all in South Africa, my parents in Yorkshire and us in Middlesex for DH's job. But we spent a lot of time with our 2 sons travelling to and from the grandparents, saw as much of them as possible. But I did really envy people who'd got their family near. Life moved on, older generation sadly died and both sons moved North. No way was I embarking on another phase of life travelling up and down the M1, so, being retired and free agents, we've moved to Derbyshire living midway between the 2 DS. Loving it, see one DS every week, other DS, D-inL and beloved GD every 3 weeks or so. So happy and blessed and deeply grateful. I've also been able to get out in our new area, smashing line dancing group, taken up playing recorder again in 2 groups. Living the best life I've ever had, and count my blessings every single day. Sadly estranged from my brother but it's his loss. All good wishes to those who struggle with distance from their families, I endured it for years and know their pain. Happy New Year to all.